Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fyi, the Murphy station at parmer and 1431 is selling alcohol free gas. Its on the blue pump. Price is reasonable $2.60/gal. Next time the boat needs fuel I'm going there not to mention for my chain saws, lawn mowers etc.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
fyi, the Murphy station at parmer and 1431 is selling alcohol free gas. Its on the blue pump. Price is reasonable $2.60/gal. Next time the boat needs fuel I'm going there not to mention for my chain saws, lawn mowers etc.
You can get it in Jonestown at Tug's as well, for around the same uptick.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quick question for those who use ethanol free gas. Do you still use a fuel stabilizer? Would like to start using ethanol free now it is available close to home. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick question for those who use ethanol free gas. Do you still use a fuel stabilizer? Would like to start using ethanol free now it is available close to home. Thanks in advance...
if you are going to keep it more than a month I would. They sold stabilizer before they invented gasohol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last time I bought gas at tugs was 3.50 a gal
ouch, that's about what I paid for avgas the last time. The avgas is very good stuff. Its designed such that it can sit around for months without going bad not to mention the higher octane. However, never put it in a car as it has our old friend lead in it. but great in lawn in equipment.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thank you for this post. I'll drive out the way to get that gas.

·
Registered
321 Posts
assuming you specifically mean ethanol free gas here.

of note, i’ve always read that switching between ethanol free and gas with ethanol can really screw up some motors.

So if you’ve got a motor that works with the ethanol gas the change could really screw things for a little while and then it would be wise to always use ethanol free going forward.

my engines (older yamaha 2 strokes) do just fine with ethanol gas , as long as i stay on top of maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not read that switching can mess things up. I do agree that most boats made since 2000 are ok with ethanol gas especially if you keep it fresh. ie use it up within 2 months. Previously my motor was fussy about starting and I had to use sea foam and carburetor rebuilds to get performance back. A year ago I started siphoning off the gas if it was over 2 months old. Since I started doing that its been as good as new. They use ethanol to increase octane. Unfortunately, ethanol is hygroscopic so if it sits in a vented tank it will absorb water which causes the octane to go down. This situation of course is worse in a high humidity environment. So best thing is to use it up within a month or so. Mostly I'll use the ethanol free stuff for my chainsaws etc and continue with my current usage on the boat.

I suppose the best solution is to go boating more, quickly use up that ethanol gas like cars do. that way it doesn't go stale.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good to know. That's close for me too!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think Walmart is putting in Ethanol free gas in all their gas stations. The one at 183 and 620 looked closed while they re-do it but the sign said ethanol free as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad that they are doing this but I wonder what is the market that is driving them to put in this service? I would think that the landscaping guys with their chainsaws and weadeaters would not use enough to keep the market going.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts