Bass Fishing Forum banner

Advice please

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Caveman 
#1 ·
I recently started fishing for bass around central Texas. I don't have a boat yet, but occasionally I can hitch a ride with friend that has a boat. I am looking to get a 2nd rod and reel. I am currently using a 6'6 abu Garcia veritas medium heavy with a revo s spinning reel. I was considering getting the revo priemer until I looked at a pflueger patriarch tonight. The pfluger is 50$ cheaper and felt good in the store. I have about $200 give or take to spend on a reel. I was looking at the Abu Garcia verdict rod online but I can't seem to find one to look at in person. I'm thinking 150$ for the rod. About a 7'? Maybe 7'6 with a medium heavy fast action. My new set up will be used as a general purpose rig like my veritas/revo. Not sure about what kind of line to run either. I'm currently using 12 lb flouro but I'm not opposed to braided line on my new set up. For now I'm using a lot of Texas rigged soft plastics while I experiment with cranks, top water, spinners and jigs. Any advice that any of you could give me on the pflueger or abu revo and a good rod to go along with it would be greatly appreciated! I'm having a blast fishing even when I'm not catching.

#3 ·
These would be my choice if you can afford them:

Abu Garcia REVO STX Generation 3 Casting Reel
Abu Garcia Villain Micro Casting Rods

The reel speed is kinda up to you, if your mostly worming or burning baits quickly I would consider the high speed, otherwise the regular speed will suffice. I have 5 of the STX, some of both speeds, and I haven't been disappointed at all.

As for the Villain, I would go with the 6'9 medium heavy. I know it is a little higher than what you put as your budget but I think you would be pleased with the extra $20 invested.

#6 ·
What are your thoughts on micro guides? I've been reading up on them and it sounds like a good deal. Not sure how well it would work with a braided line.. Still trying to figure out why people use leaders on braided line? If you use braided line for strength why tie a leader on it with mono or fluorocarbon? I love my veritas rod and they have a micro guide version. I'm definitely curious.

#7 ·
If I only had two rigs to use and a bunch of applications I wanted to try, I would put braid on both reels and tie mono and fluoro leaders according to what application I wanted to use. Because of the leader situation, I would not use mirco guides.

Learn to tie and alberto knot or a uni-uni knot.

Oh, and I wouldnt go Pflueger if I could afford Revos...

#9 ·
I agree with micro guides not working well with leader knots.

I go back and forth eliminating the leader one week so I can cast then putting it back on the next so I get bites.

I know the problem is really the guides but I like the carrot sticks cause they are so light.

#10 ·
Most versatile and sensitive rod in my boat is a 7'6" XH Carolina Special made by Dave Settle at Custom Angle Rods. customanglerods.com. If you would like to see, feel, and throw it, let me know and we can meet up at Lake Austin.

Concerning reels......Shimano is the only one for me. Chronarch.

#11 ·
i appreciate all the input, i couldnt find anyone in town that had the revo i wanted or the verdict rod. i drove myself crazy for a good week reading reviews, driving to stores and constantly changing my mind. im sure this wont be my last rig and im still a novice so... a couple of days ago i was in gander mountain and picked up a 7'1" med heavy GSX elite spinning rod on sale by 40% and a quantum smoke 30. From what i read on the GSX rod its very very similar to 13 fishing rod that cost about 3x what i paid for it. ive decided also to stick with my floro line until i learn a bit more about braid. I did however try a Berkley "superline" i did not care for it at all. it reminded me of super thick tooth floss. couldnt get the line to get tight when i was messing around with a fluke in my pond. i'll let you guys know how the rod holds up.. for roughly $75 it seems fairly nice and sensitive. i was impressed with what i read about it online. my veritas is 30 ton graphite, the gsx 40 ton. sounds good but time will tell. no fish on it yet, just a few casts with the new set up. i decided againt the Plfueger because the line capacity seemed a little on the low side to me. thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.