Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to fishing in Austin, been spending most of my fishing time on Dunlap and Guadelupe river. I've been out to lake Austin twice in the past month and have done pretty good on white shadrap crank baits and Texas rig watermelon red plastics, hitting some of the banks but catching most fish up by Mansfield Dam.

First questions is, I've heard a lot of people talking about using jigs and catching 10 lbs+ bass, curious what colors are being thrown, and how heavy of a jig head.

This past Monday I was pounding the banks with a crank bait catching some smaller bass around Colorado bend and I saw a few striper bust the top out in the middle of the lake. I threw every smaller crank bait I had at them and could only get white bass to hit. Also I was marking a ridiculous amount of giant fish on my depth finder all over the screen. I've seen some posts about people randomly catching striper but no one talks about a strong presence of the species in the lake. My question is, are those stiper I'm seeing on my graphs? And what artificial should I be using to get one to hit? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome! Your post is asking for which lure to use to catch a giant of 2 species. For that you will need to simply put time in on the water...or get lucky. I would go fish bluff walls, any grass and docks. Take a jig and fish the crap out of it...or a senko. I haven't been on the lake since April.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bluff walls, check.... Do you think all those fish I'm seeing on my graphs are striper? I saw a few hit the top and was marking a ridiculous amount. I ask cause I haven't seen anyone talk about a strong presence of striper in Lake Austin. Also I guess my main question is, is what colors of jigs are being thrown?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are some huge stripers in Austin, Caught a 35lber during a tourney last year. Caught a 12lber pre-fishing this year. They are there, follow the bait.

Jig color, use natural colors, green pump, wat-red, brown, etc

Good luck, you will be rocking this weekend with it being a holiday, I for one am staying away.

Reactions: JayRBV and BrandonF

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
You could probably make 50 trips out there targeting striper and not catch one. I wouldn't waste my time there and just hope to get lucky. I've seen a few pop up out there but again, I would just target bass. Throw a deep diving crankbait out there enough and you will eventually hang into some big LMBs. Could potentially hook into one of those strippers doing that as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

You could probably make 50 trips out there targeting striper and not catch one. I wouldn't waste my time there and just hope to get lucky. I've seen a few pop up out there but again, I would just target bass. Throw a deep diving crankbait out there enough and you will eventually hang into some big LMBs. Could potentially hook into one of those strippers doing that as well.
Thanks for the advice, I will be back out there Thursday night and will stop thinking about the stripper! Ha.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Add-on question. I've been reading LA reports here for a while, as I'll eventually haul over there and fish there. Coming from Elgin area. Based on reading LMB reports, most folks seem to put in at Quinlan, which seems to be the upstream-most launch, and head upstream some more. How is the action in the lower reaches? Walsh and 360 are both quite a bit more convenient access from here. Comments welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.