Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sorry for the late posting, when I got home my front yard was covered in hail and the entire neighborhood had lost power, didn't come back up until 4 am.

We had 28 boats last night, conditions were fine until about 8:30 or so and then all hell broke loose! Most teams called it early and hauled ass back to the ramp.

Congrats to Shane and Steve for taking first place and Big Bass, one heck of a sack for 3.5 hours and a nice pay day! Duke/Dale took second and Matt/James took home a $25.00 gift card to Geneva Tackle for fourth place.

Thank you guys for coming out and thanks to all that called or texted with weather updates...hope everyone made it back home safely!

See y'all next week on Austin...ILP!!!

· Banned
1,010 Posts
Great turnout last night on Travis! We brought 5 in only to have one go belly up. Didn't bother weighing in our 4 other 1lb dinks. Best part about Travis is that everyone was catching fish. Look at all of the 5 fish sacks. It was good fishing with Airfob's friend Matt. I think he is going to join us next week on LA as well. Hope everyone made it home safe with the storm and all. It was pretty wild watching the storm roll through from the lake.

-Rich

· Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Great Time out there last night.. Nothing like the fear of Death to give a little excitment to a T  ;D

Thanks for everyone for keeping in the front of the dock clear, that really made check in easy.

Take off was killer! 28 boats roaring down the lake is a sight to see.

AirFob and I took a big gamble and made a long run to midlake. Everyone was peeling off up to and around Arkansas bend. Except for one pesky skeeter with a 300 hundie on the back 8) Tried to reel em in to no avail...

We quickly got on a nice bite, and Fob put a 4 in the tank. We had a limit of about 11 lbs in under a hour.  Culled one time for .5 oz more.

We knew we needed to get rid of one more of the smaller fish, that is when my phone started to make a lot of noise. I saw a text that said Tornado heading for Lago. Well, we were pretty close to Lago, so we hauled A$$.

Stopped at one last spot before A bend, it was looking really ulgy with a lot of lightning in the distance. Our plan was to give this last spot 30 mins, about 4 mins later, we chickened out and left.

Was a shame to since we were catching fish on almost every fast cast.

But, no fish is worth being dead.

By this time the wind was howling, lightning was mad flashing, the Hot foot was pegged to the floor !  Narrowly missed a couple of No Wake buyos by Carlos n Charlies... oops !

Really got intersting along the main lake strech, boat was at full speed, and could not see what rouge waves we were about to hit.  I yelled a Fob to hang on , and gripped the wheel with everything I had, really did not feel like getting ejected..

But in the end, it was all good. That storm moved just north of Mansfield.

I know a lot of people bailed out, but we got the others weighted in, and that was that.

We really did need to get rid of that last fish  ;D

Really fun, and made for a good story !!

See everyone next week on LA !!

EA

· Registered
682 Posts
You guys are some brave souls. Booker and I got caught in a hail storm (very large hail) on Travis a few years back after dark. Hail to the face, chest, arms is brutal. I didnt think we were going to make it. Waves were huge, thank GOD for one vaguely lit dock that had a space in it available. If not for that dock it could have been alot more ugly for us. Kudos for the guys that bailed early. I know it is a hard thing to do during a tourney. Sorry I missed it!!!!

· Registered
266 Posts
Eric- we were trying to be conservative on gas, until we saw you gaining on us ;). Good job on making the call to run to mid lake, it paid off.

Last night was gnarly.  Wayne and I wanted to hang out afterwards, but he lives in pflugerville and was getting phone calls that a tornado was on its way. See you guys at LA.

Miles

· Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Miles, Sorry for the extra gas burn ;D That is funny. If were not for Fob's 200 lbs body bag of tackle, a heavy load of fuel for the run, I might have been a little closer :D

But still, No Replacement for Displacement !!!

EA

· Registered
24 Posts
Thanks once again gentlemen - great turnout

TDub and I scratched a limit of barely 14's - no need to go into detail of our obvious losing pattern - Still fun as heck though - Congrats to the winners

Just a quick spell check - I believe it is gnarly rather than narley - up in Nor Cal anyway ;D

· Registered
9 Posts
Enjoyed meeting some of you guys last night. Definitely fun fishing with one eye on the water and one on the sky. Since I was fishing solo, my wife called about every 10-15 minutes to see where I was on the water (and checking where the life insurance policy was) and giving me storm updates. I chickened out early too and had the boat on the trailer at 8:50. Sure would have liked to had that last thirty minutes to fish, but my slow Ranger can't outrun lightning like those skeeters and bass cats. See you all out there again in a couple of weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.