Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Logan, I am new to the ABF forum as of tonight and have some questions for the bank fishermen out there. I recently am returning to fishing as my number one hobby after blowing out my knee has taken me off the bike for a while. Today i tried Mueller pond and the pond off of Anchor lane with no success. I met a guy named Jason who i believe is a member of this forum, he was helpful with some tips and turned me on to the second pond i went to today. None of my friends in town fish so i would like to meet some fishing partners or even just some advice givers. Driving out to mudd cove is even an option for me. I've also heard about common's ford being potentially good as well.doing tackle shopping friday so any tackle tips would be nice before then.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My preference for the 4" or 5" senko is going to be weightless wacky with an o-ring and Gamakatsu 2/0 weedless wide gap finesse hook. I fish from the banks about 90% of the time, and this setup has been the most productive. Period. Dick's has the best senko selection outside of Cabelas.

I've also caught quite a few on a Rat-l-Trap and shallow-running crankbait as it has gotten colder. I have two Bill Lewis Traps (one red craw, one chrome). And I've had a RC2 Series 3 crankbait in Tasty Shad for months. Each has produced in the specific BOW you've listed. Get these cranks at Walmart.

Last consideration would be a chatterbait. It hasn't produced for me as the temps have gotten colder, but until recently it was a top producer.

Back in the summer, it was all about the KVD Caffeine Shad on a keel-weighted hook. And hollow-body frogs. I'd wait on these until it gets hot.

I've had very little success with spinnerbaits, jigs, and other topwaters. But I started fishing in July, so I have no Spring and spawn experience.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch, this is exactly the kind of composed shopping list I was looking for. I will branch out too fill gaps i feel need to be filled but the color choices of people familiar with the banks around town is really helpful.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Have you heard of any bass coming out of the bull frog pond in Manor at east metropolitan park or mills pond? I plan on fishing LBL and commons ford regularly but I am looking for something for in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not the most experienced here, nor do I catch a ton of fish, but I seem to have luck with a select few lures.

I fish with a texas rigged plastic worm (forgot the brand, but it has a curled tail for increased action or whatever) topped off with a bullet sinker of course.
Aside from the worms, I like to use H2O Express crankbaits (5 - 8 foot depth), and so far the "sexy shad" and "diamond dust" from academy are the most successful for me, especially on colder days.

·
Registered
522 Posts
4/0 EWGs, preferably Gamakatsu. Senkos in green pumpkin, watermelon red flake, and black and blue. Trick worms in watermelon red and black wacky or texas rigged. Finnese worms wacky rigged in watermelon red of watermelon candy. Size 1 octopus hooks for wacky rigging. All this is what have been working for me, not a lot of money needs go be spent.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey Logan, that was me out there.

I'll also add to the list: zoom super flukes and baby brush hogs. I've caught fish on lots of colors of both, but it seems like it's never a bad idea to have plastics in watermelon red and watermelon seed around here.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree on the baby brush hogs. Forgot to mention that one. Thanks, breakupyourband. Super flukes, not so much for me.

So here's the tally for me (most fish caught at top):
- wacky senkos
- baby brush hogs on Carolina rig
- Rat-L-Traps and RC2 cranks

The others, as mentioned, have worked, but have been pretty seasonal for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would add shakey heads to the list. 1/8-1/4oz with a craw or darker worm has been working well for me in addition to Trig/Wacky as mentioned earlier. Keep it slow and watch for the taps, if you are fishing Trig/Shakey I find the need for a harder hookset while the wacky requires less force. Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Black, white, chartreuse spinners-I go more for a Colorado blade fished slowly in the colder months. Beetle spin, and everything mentioned above.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks a bunch, this is exactly the kind of composed shopping list I was looking for. I will branch out too fill gaps i feel need to be filled but the color choices of people familiar with the banks around town is really helpful.
I haven't caught a ton of fish in the Austin area but have done a ton of reading. Another color for Senko's is black with blue flake for night fishing. Also crankbait in fire tiger, sexy shad I believe.

Area's for Bank fishing I've Read:
Lady Bird Lake
Lake Austin
Lake Travis
Mueller (quicky getting fished out)
Meadow Lake (quickly getting fished out)
Brushy Creek (lots of turtles, not that many fish)
Lake Georgetown (AKA The Dead Sea, very hit or miss)
Neighborhood Ponds (there are a ton)
Golf Course Ponds (likely trespassing)

A bunch of others but that's a starting list

Like me you picked a bad time to start fishing. It's much tougher to catch fish in the cold as they are cold blooded.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
who is in charge of restocking those city ponds ? will Mueller be restocked, any idea? Also have heard anything about the bullfrog pond in manor at east metropolitan park? I read it was stocked with trout this time of year

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have been fishing mueller a lot because it is close to my house and the other pond in the back. I have been drop shotting wacky rigged finesse worms and doing well. Its off and on with all the cold fronts but I always catch. Yesterday conditions seemed perfect but it was slow, I only caugh four or five and nothing over two. I am going to hit it today. Towne Lake has been slow for me, fished it two days ago and caught a bunch of small guys same technique. I have had any biters on texas rigged yet. Its about to happen the big girls will start getting active soon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i have been fishing mueller a lot because it is close to my house and the other pond in the back. I have been drop shotting wacky rigged finesse worms and doing well. Its off and on with all the cold fronts but I always catch. Yesterday conditions seemed perfect but it was slow, I only caugh four or five and nothing over two. I am going to hit it today. Towne Lake has been slow for me, fished it two days ago and caught a bunch of small guys same technique. I have had any biters on texas rigged yet. Its about to happen the big girls will start getting active soon.
Here is the trout stocking schedule.
Rainbow Trout Stocking Schedule

·
Registered
522 Posts
One thing I noticed while fishing this weekend was that the Yum F2 Dingers wackg rigged, have A LOT of action. When I was reeling in, I felt like I was reeling in a lipless crank, that's how much wiggle that thing was giving off. When it sank, it was pulsing, very impressed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
lake georgetown is good for bank fishing. you have to find a spot along the 28 mile shoreline. many lures work, but you need braided line, flour leader and good long distance bait casting rig.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts