Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second to last trip here in Sonoma County, CA at Lake Sonoma.
It was a TOUGH day. I managed 2 fish. One was legal about 3 1/2 or 4 lbs. The other was short. My friend Jon had only one on and it came off.
Both my fish were caught about 20 feet deep on a 5" Senko, rigged wacky on a dropshot rig.
Water was 64 degrees and neither of us saw a single bed fish anywhere. Nor did we see any fry. ??? We were a bit baffled by it all. Beautiful day though.

Yorty Creek, Lake Sonoma from the launch ramp.

Our kick boats.

And two pics of the only keeper size fish caught today. It was released of course.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5C6C7B7F6467262A1E0 said:
sweet fish!!! crappy hat! u need to put a star on that head boi!!! how r those lil rides yall have they look like they can hold alot of gear!
LOL  ;D I'm sorry but hats with stars are against my religion.

Yeah kickboats can hold a lot of gear. My regular 8' kick holds 10 rods and has up to 4 saddle bags for tackle, a livewell, cooler for lunch/drinks and although I don't have them, a graph and t-motor.

It's kinda funny that even though I've been bass fishin' since I was a teenager, I've never bothered to buy a graph. I fish in less than 10 feet of water 90% of the time so I never felt I had to have one. So far I really don't think it's affected my catch rate in a negative way. I do as well as any of my friends. Sometimes better.

I have to admit, I'm kinda sketchy on the fact my feet hang in the water with all the snakes and gators you guys deal with there.  :eek: Fishin' Choke Canyon will have to be a late fall/winter/early spring kind of thing.

These boats aren't limited to small waters though. I started fishin tubes & kickboats in the ocean and have used 'em on every kind of water you can imagine. This includes white water on rivers which is what they're designed for and for launching through the surf. They're not as fast as kayaks, but I think they make up for it in every other aspect. In fact I'd say they're superior to kayaks for bass fishing. In the salt however, I think kayaks would be much better.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1226353A3F2D0B00353A540 said:
good job w/ that kickboat, Chris

BTW, are two of them called kicboat? which one is better the one shapes like 2 cylinders or the one like bananas?
Yeah, they're both kickboats. One has a rowing system and t-motor and is 8 feet long. The other, which is my "small water" boat doesn't and is only 5 feet long. The manufacturer does make a rowing system for it. I just didn't buy it. http://www.newworldmfg.com/supercat.htm

Ideally you actually want a pontoon that is more like a straight cylinder like for stability and glide, but only slightly tapered at the ends to cut thru waves, etc rather than blunt ended like mine is. You don't want the banana shaped pontoons either as it makes it too "tippy" like a see-saw. The banana shape is great for white water but lousy for lakes when you add a livewell, because of the weight. The balance ends up wrong and the frame has to be re-positioned to compensate.

I still haven't found the "perfect" pontoon but the ones made for the Versa Vessel are pretty close. I like the LRS Expedition model.
http://www.mertechengineering.com/boats.htm

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
000B020D070211630 said:
Nice fish sir and even nicer hat!!  Go 49'ers!!
;)  Right on, another Niner fan!
I like the kick boat but yeah with all the snakes i have seen lately you will not catch me in one.  LOL!
:eek: Yeah I'll be lookin for back seats thru the summer time.

· Registered
10,698 Posts
The vast majority of snakes in TX lakes are non-poisonous. The swimming ratllesnake video from Choke was exceptional. I have seen small stock ponds and farm creeks that were full of cottonmouths, but really no large populations of poisonous snakes in most lakes where people fish. Just get a snake guide book and learn to ID the snakes and the phobia will abate. Regarding gators, choke is the only major bass lake around here with a big population, although a few have been seen in Granger and Somerville, and many more as you head east toward Loiusiana. Evenso, gators rarely like the flavor of fishers, esp. 49s fans! ;D

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
5F484E4449545050443D0 said:
Wow - this report brings me back. I grew up near the area and fished and camped Lake Sonoma all through my youth. Thanks for the report and pics!
Another Sonoma County refugee! I'm in Cloverdale at the moment. Also have lived in Santa Rosa, Cotati and Monte Rio. Where'd you live?

I'll be in Austin around 1:30/2:00 PM tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.