Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
waited 20min at gate, which opened at 5:58. 1st cast at 6:04. very disappointed i didnt get anything on that cast, but 4 casts later things started hopping, and for 45min it seemed like every cast would get attacked! 32 blowups/8 caught. a really fun morning! then the boats showed up; one to my right, and one to my left. both kinda close, a cast and a half away, which was a bit close, which i guess is fine, other than it's a pretty big lake, and boats can go anywhere, while i'm limited due to being on foot. i was on a hot spot for 40min, then it all quit. why? the hull slap was noticeable, and i believe it knocked the fishing down. articles i've read support that idea.

"As you test drive new boats on the market, pay attention to this. Some are quiet while in motion, but while at rest, small waves can create hull slap. This becomes important if you're anchored up on a grass flat. You may be very quiet, but your boat notifies all finned creatures that something different has entered their world. Rather than reason and investigate, they retreat. Fish will always err on the side of safety. That leaves you sitting dead quiet on an empty grass flat, alone."

i've had my boat(s) on this lake several hundred times. i always stayed waaay far away from everyone else, just out of respect for whoever got there 1st, and not wanting to be labeled a potlicker. there are any number of great spots to fish besides my little area. if i had my boat here i'd be hitting the front of that cove directly across from cedar breaks, where i've had some of my best days at GT. or that spot to the left of the dam, or along the dam, or that extended cove to the right, coming outa jim hogg. the one with all the stickups, etc. that's a great bass environment right there, and the entire cove can be fruitful. my 1st topwater catch was at the mouth of the cove, with a popper. kinda ruined any other form of fishing for me, lol.

the guy on the left got snagged casting to shore, and had to troll in to retrieve his lure. this happened several times. i hardly saw any topwater activity right there once that became an issue. and zero after that boat left. that is a sizeable flat, shallow area. a topwater would be my advice. and dont run over it in your boat! you'll ruin the fishing! :)

anyway, there's plenty of shoreline a boat can get to that somebody on foot cant. if it was me, i'd steer clear of folks fishing from the shore. completely. dont even get close. i know i know i know...it's the weekend. gonna be more traffic, etc. but give the bank fishers a break, lol. it's about being respectful. go find some other spot. or move far enough away so that your boat isnt causing fish to disappear from a bank fisher's area.

just be nice! lol

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
That sales brochure quote sounds like some ultimate stealthy bonefish flats quality skiff. Fishing while wading or standing on the bank has to be the stealthiest by far.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, i googled 'hull slap fishing' to confirm what i experience. any unnatural sounds will disturb fish, which i'm sure we all know, i hope...there can be other factors besides staying 1.5-2 casts away, if people are even staying that far away...
i helped 2 groups this morning, just cuz it's fun to help/teach/etc...i believe, if youre bank fishing at GT, you gotta throw topwaters just to avoid getting snagged and possibly losing a lure. plus, on top is where the fun really is. just wish that gate opened at 530. i'd be there every morning! 530-730 is prime time!

also, i added a spinner treble to front and back on the sb105, and cant wait to throw it during prime time. threw it for a few min this morning just to see what it looked like. oh my...it's like a 2-blade spinnerbait that stays on top...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dang. weather looks iffy for next 8 days. of course, accuweather had t-storms at 6am this morning, while radar had nothing. goof grief, those must be government workers with total job security...too wrong too often...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts