Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Looking forward to seeing that rig catching fish on LA soon!
Don't hold your breath!
Won't happen.
Travis, Buch, LBJ, etc...
Maybe prespawn on LA in the spring. But, doubtfull. I'll be chasing white bass on Travis, Buch and LBJ!
I've given up chasing LMB for table fare and safer, more peaceful waters!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Gotta get you out for some tournaments at least! Show em the old boats with good Mojo can run circles around the newer ones!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Man she is in great shape for her age. Reminds me of a stripper I knew in Killeen. Lol
Nice rig bro, look forward to seeing her throw a wake on Travis Sunday mornings.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I usually don't fish weekends.
I enjoy the peace, tranquility and loneliness of weekdays!
I'm leaving that stripper part ALONE!! Which, had I done YEARS AGO, I'd have had many more boats or probably another garage full of HDs instead of just 3!! And it wasn't from stuffing cash in the slot. Their extra curricular habits are EXPENSIVE!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Today was slow going. All I'll say is WIRING!
Went and got a couple battery boxes, they barely fit and got one of the AGM 27 series batteries installed for the TM. I'll pick up another battery later. The lids just won't fit! Still looks messy, but it'll tidy up once the other battery is and wiring is complete for the TM, (2) Hummingbird 998 & 581, and the charger.
140907_0002.jpg
Had some wire loom, so I worked on this. Had enough to make it to the throttle. Will pick up some more to make it the rest of the way under console. Once all done, I'll put the rod holders back on. It was just too much trying to work around them.
140907_0001.jpg
Zip tied this up, so it's out of the way of one of the fuel hatches.
140907_0000.jpg
Put my old cooler in that I use to hold oil stuff and some misc tools.
140907_0004.jpg
Installed the Ram Mount base and ran the wiring for the Hummingbird 998!
140907_0003.jpg
Crawling around and fishing wire, looming and zip tieing wears me out. Done for today.
Headed to TPWD tomorrow to see how registering boat and motor goes.

ANDDD, I wanted to come in, relax, get a shower and see JJ and Romo FAIL!! If Romo could find a way to stop trying to be the glory boy the Girls would have a chance. Well, kind of, but not totally until JJ goes back where he came from. I'm not holding my breath on either count! So y'all should see me fishing the end of the week or next!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Man...I didn't know there was so much that could be done to a perfect boat. hahahahahahhahahahahah

Kinda what we are going thru on the new one...don't like this, like that, gotta change this!!

Now when you go to launch her next week....just remember the immortal words of Captain Ahab....."Plug in?"

(That's personal experience speaking!!!!!!!!!)

Reactions: JayRBV

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ron,
I've not found anything that would have kept anyone from catching fish out of this AWESOME boat!! The more I do, The MORE I like it!!!
I've forgotten the plug myself. I'm always triple checking that I took the straps off, put the plug in, hooked the fuel line up & the kill lanyard is on the tiller handle.
No tiller handle, I'm going to be a mess now!!!
THANKS for a GREAT BOAT!! AND AN AWESOME fishing trip! Was great to meet you and Candy! We'll have dinner somewhere when you get down here!!
Oh, I never did get to see your new one. Guess it'll be when we're side by side catching fish this winter!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Made a run to TPWD this morning=SUCCESS! I got registration stickers and boat numbers. Should receive titles in 4-8 weeks!
Then I ran over on Airport blvd and picked me up a license plate!
Almost home, oh crap, detour. NETTLES props! Mr. JT Nettels himself pressed a new ring on the new prop that Ron & Shane had put on the boat. $11 & change. He said my prop had no "cupping, what's it on?" He said it'll work for now. I found out he can rebuild the 2 old props Ron left in the boat for a fair price! And he'll cup them for me. Had no idea, he explained it all! Something about less slip, more go, I'm not racing, jumping up on plane. He's the prop guy!!
Came home, put the prop on!
Put the registration stickers on.
Mounted a license plate.
Mounted the Bird GPS puck and Transducer. And got it wired to the one TM battery. Resulting in this!!
140908_0001.jpg
Just couldn't resist, so I changed some mounts off my other boat seats and ended up with this!
140908_0000.jpg
And I dug out the compartment plug that I bought with my NOCO battery charger. It fit right in the hole that was already there. Now to figure out how to plug that other hole. Ron left me a 2 bank Cabelas charger, so that'll stick with the TM batteries.
140908_0002.jpg
My three bank NOCO will go in the back for the starting battery and the shad tank battery. I'll still have a bank free.
Tomorrow. I'll tidy up the Bird wiring with zip ties. Make a run to Academy for some boat numbers. I picked up 150' of anchor line and a section of coated chain and only 1 shackle for the line to chain. I'll pick up another for the chain to anchor tomorrow.
Thursday is a couple other projects around the house.
Friday is FISHING!!! Probably just going to go to Travis for the maiden voyage in Texas!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
SUWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hope my wife never sees all the improvements you;'ve made!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Here's some more Ron!!!
Made a run to Cabelas this morning and got some boat numbers/letters.
Also picked up a Lakemaster card for the 998!
Got the letters/numbers on.
Also moved battery chargers around. The NOCO, 3 bank I had is a 10 amp per bank. So, it went up front for the trolling motor batteries.
140909_0000.jpg
The Cabelas charger that was in the front is a 2 bank, 6 amp per bank, so it got moved to the back for the starting battery and shad tank battery. Yes it's mounted upside down. On purpose, water won't collect in the cooling fins as bad. And it puts the cords coming out and running in the right direction.
140909_0001.jpg
Been debating where to put my baitwell tank. I know 20-26 gallons takes up about 28"-30" long x 16"-19" wide. That's a LOT of center boat space to give up!!
So, I made a tough decision. Removed the board in the back that had a pedestal seat mount for rear deck fishing. so, now I have an opening 30" L x 16 1/2" W. To the top of the deck is about 13"-13 1/2" tall. Did some digging on the ole interweb and found one 25 gallons measuring 30" long x 16 1/4" wide x 15" tall. Also found a 20 gallon, that's taller but not near as large. It would give the option of moving it to the rear of the opening and putting part of the board back in, with a little storage underneath. ORRR, move the tank forward and put the board behid it. All depends on how the boat runs and planes with 20-25 gallons of water and a tank back there. GUess I can just compare it to one less fat guy....
So, either one should barely fit! I just have to get with the shad tank expert and see if the tank I found is a good one. Only want to do this once.
140909_0002.jpg
Tomorrow is zip up the transducer and gps puck wiring. put some cable clamps on the rear charger cable going to starter battery.
Friday, I'll be getting her wet on Travis!!! Fishing!! Old school=no trolling motor. YET!!!
No idea what would be wrong with Candy seeing the 34 year young Lund, Ron. Your new one has a full windshield.......

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nothing else to do till I get baitwell and trolling motor.
Maiden voyage tomorrow on Buchanan.
Going old school....
NO trolling motor!
Motor and anchor. See how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Hmm, you got a point, heat rises.... It was in the front, I simply moved it to the back.
Thanks Dez!!!.
Sounds good, I'll be doing a couple things I discovered need doing today.
Ole Lund floats like a dream!
Ole Evinrude purrs like a Mtn Lion! Oh, it's no speed demon but it'll run 34 & change WOT. But I backed off. Especially after I ran half a tank dry and remembered Ron's son Shane said it'll sip fuel at about 26-28. But if you open it up, it starts drinking!! Had another full tank, so no big deal!!!
Prop fix by JT Neetles was great.
Sure was interesting trying to chase topwater fish by drifting, then running the outboard without disturbing the school!
Had fun, added a bunch of fish lime to the boat. But all Smalls!
Hit em again next week!!

THANKS again for the great deal Ron!!
But why you wanted a new boat is BEYOND ME!!!
But, glad you did!!!

I'll be digging out all the maintenance and repair invoices I have on my other boat and outboard. Get that thing posted up. I've GOT to get me a MK PD 70 lb with I-pilot!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
You are makin' my day Jay. Glad it ran out good for you. I knew it would but man, It's tough selling to a friend.

Love the changes you made but I think you'll miss that back seat....that was always my spot...I let Shane run the front. Even outfished him once in a while from the back. HA!

Enjoy...can't wait to get back down there and go for a ride in her.

And great to know you slimed her a little more....that's awesome!!!!

If they were stripers that adds another species to her count. It was 27....that makes 28!! All Freshwater.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Had a lot of help on this one! THANKS a bunch Dez!!
20 gallon bait tank! Insulated, recirculation, aeration with Dannco venturi, quick dis-connects on plumbing and electrical, poly cutting board lid with all stainless hardware!
Be on Travis monday. Guess I'll go cat or crappie fishing since all the striper are probably down by the damn and I'm putting in at Pace Bend!! I have no problem cutting up shad for catfish! or just running them live.
See if I have what Brandon calls "lively bait" or just bait!!
See if I can find some shad to experiment on!!
141031_0000.jpg
141031_0001.jpg
141031_0002.jpg

·
Registered
853 Posts
Who's boat is that....really?

Great job Jay. Will be a pleasure to see it "live" in a couple of months.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts