Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Damn, back to the drawing board with Skeeters in mind, I did not know the news ones were in my range. For some reason thought they were all over 50k.

A lot will depend on what can fit in the garage as well.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
What about the ranger bassaholic is selling?

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yea it's nice but overpriced for what I am looking for. If im going 17ft I can get a brand spanking new Skeeter or Triton for 20k, why would I pay 25 for boat he's probably already run on the lake

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I would personally go with the triton. The hull design is better for ride and speed. I believe the layout is also nicer. But the only triton I have fished out of is a tr 21x. Not a fair representation of a 17 footer.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Did you ask Charles whited about a sweetheart deal on a triton? I think he is on their pro staff.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No I am not acquainted with him. Thanks for the Triton nod, I don't know why but I am really drawn to that boat, esp in the yellow/black color scheme.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
He is "barefoot guide service". He comes off super grumpy but is actually pretty cool. I guess I come off grumpy too, but I'm not cool.
I will have my buddy Bennett find out if he can swing a deal, I figure it can't hurt.

Reactions: BassBlaster

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 17'6 champion with a 130 yamaha. Loaded down with gear and 2 people I max out around 53 mph. It's great on gas and more importantly fits in my home garage with a couple inches to spare. If I had more garage space I would have bought a bigger boat for the extra space and comfort on rough water. If you are patient, you can get a killer deal on new or slightly used 18-20 footer. If I'm not mistaken, Craig got a smoking deal on his legend which is a lot of boat for the money.

·
Registered
352 Posts
BassBlaster, I have a 17' Nitro single console with a 75 horse Mercury. I bought it new in 2002. I personally don't care for
a lot of speed on the water. Two people, all of their gear and the normal stuff I carry on the boat I can get up to 29/30 mph
which is just fine for me. Two people fishing on the boat have plenty of room and it is comfortable. As far as towing, you never
know it's behind you. I have a 26 gallon gas tank. If I fill the tank, I can go to Decker or Lake Georgetown 9 or 10 times before
I put gas in it. The boat is easy to handle, you can launch/load it by yourself with no problem. This boat is not for everyone but
I did not buy it for everyone, I bought what I wanted and I still like it. I hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BassBlaster,
I can go $23,000 on the Ranger Z117 I have for sale. You are welcome to come test drive it. It's been in the water long enough to break in the engine and that's about it. Very nice! For a small boat it handles big water a lot better than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
17 ft? Don't do it man. The whole reason this thread exists is because you bought a boat that was too small before. Don't do it again. Get a bass boat that's at least 18 foot minimum 150 hp and you will be satisfied
I'm just seeing to many pros for the 17 footer vs the 18 for what I intend on doing. I'm coming off a 13ft boat and even then size was never the problem. I fished two people comfortably, what the boat was lacking is storage and a trolling motor. If I had those on there I might not have sold that boat for years.

-Conditions will be the exact same I experienced in the Whaler, which never had me worried. I'm pretty sure the 17 footer will handle those conditions better than 13fter. If conditions are rough I'm more than likely to stay at home.

-Speed; Todd knows me well and told me I'll probably never go 50mph after the first few times. He is probably right.

-Storage is another big factor, everything I've read so far is saying the 18ft trailer comes out to 21.5 feet with swing away which will not fit in a garage.

-Cost of running a 150 is a little daunting as well. The 40 gallon tank is intimidating, 24 gallons and the mpg at 115 sounds more like my style.

-Towing 17ft will be easier on my truck, cheaper for the longer hauls to Fork or any lake really since they are all at least an hour from me

--

I'm essentially looking for an easy to manage, low cost to run, easy to tow fishing boat. I will be bass fishing much more now but I will still spend a lot of my time perch jerking, chasing whites, catfishing etc. The tourny thing might happen or it might not. What I really want out of this boat that I did not have in the last is some storage, a trolling motor and a little more oomph than my 25hp 4 stroke.

rwnitros words are really speaking to me

This boat is not for everyone but I did not buy it for everyone, I bought what I wanted and I still like it.
My mind is not made up yet, however the garage will be the instant killer for the 18fter if I can confirm they will not fit.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
BassBlaster,
I can go $23,000 on the Ranger Z117 I have for sale. You are welcome to come test drive it. It's been in the water long enough to break in the engine and that's about it. Very nice! For a small boat it handles big water a lot better than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums
Thank you for the reply, beautiful boat.

I am not actively making offers yet, allowing myself a month minimum of research first. If it's still around then I might take you up on that test drive

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have standard two car garage so I understand the limited space for storage of a boat. With that being said I have a nitro 896 that is 19'6" long with a 200 HP outboard on a tandom axle trailer. I am able to fit it in my garage by putting it in at a angle with the motor down and turned all the way to the left and the tongue folded. I have my garage organized around my boat. Its tight but it does fit. I have had several boats over the past 25 years starting with a 16 footer a 18 footer and every time I have upgraded I have always wanted a bigger boat. If I had more room I would get a bigger boat than I have now. One foot longer of a boat is a lot for many reasons such as comfort, storage and just hanging out with the family on the water. Take your time and you will find the boat for you. I hope this helps. Good luck! IMG_20140607_102735.jpg IMG_20140607_102748.jpg sorry that the picture I inserted is upside down. I tried to edit and delete but I had no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Blaster
I went from a 15' Tracker w/25 (long time ago ;) ) to a 16' Skeeter w/80 to an 18'6" Skeeter w/150. If you ever think you'll want to haul 3 people in the boat, get the 18'. It's better to have the space and not need it than to get a smaller boat and find out 2 months into owning it that you wish you had more room. FWIW, Lance Burrow (210lbs) and me (165lbs) take up enough room to fill up the 18'6" Skeeter. A mechanic's check of the 150 can tell you if there's problems or not.

Reactions: BassBlaster
21 - 40 of 50 Posts