Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk me into or out of the 17ft 115hp combo.

I'm really tempted to get a Triton 17 Pro brand new with a 115 Merc on ProXS Optimax. I can get this brand new for the same price a slightly used 18ft with a 150 will run.

How small is a 17ft 6inch boat? How fast will a 115hp push a 17footer?

Interested to hear from those fishing out of 17fts with under 150hp

Keeping in mind that I am 5'9 and weigh 150lbs, do I really even need a 18ft boat?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I think the 17'/115 Combo would be a nice rig and pull well behind your truck

New boats are nice and have warranties, but a bigger boat has it's advantages, it's a toss up. I think think a 115 over a 150 would sip fuel and you could afford a few more jars of stinkbait

·
Registered
108 Posts
Growing up my dad had a 16' fiberglass bass boat with 115 merc.
The boat fished well and handled really well.
I don't remember getting beat up any worse than i have been in a 18'

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 17/115 is all you "need". But if you don't care so much about fuel costs and crave the
better holeshot and speed then get the 18/150.

I estimate the 17/115 top speed would be 56 mph because I have owned that combo before in
both Nitro and Ranger.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much heavier is the 18 ft combo. Dustin brings up good point on towing. I have a 4L v6 tacoma and am not buying a larger truck just for a new boat

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope glass

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I would say it depends on your situation. If you are in a spot in life when you can kind of pick and choose when you want to go fishing and wait for ideal conditions, I would say get the 17 footer. It's smaller, easier to tow, more efficient... I can't really add to what's already been said. However if you are in a spot where you have to pre-plan your trips or stick to allotted times (e.g., you get Saturday morning, PERIOD), then I would get the bigger boat. Those North Texas lakes can catch some wind and get rough. A bigger boat handles that stuff so much better. Also, if you plan on taking out multiple people with decent regularity I would go bigger.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Can you test drive both of them ?
If so, that's going to help you more than anything
Ultimately, if whatever fits YOU the best.
You've already heard all the pros and cons , see if you can drive them and then make your choice
Good luck

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I'm very torn between the two. I want to get a 17ft just so I can buy new. I'm very wary of buying a 150 used from a tourney angler. To me that's tantamount to buying a sports car from a 17 yearold. No telling how they rode it

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I would look into the warranty on both motors. If there is no warranty left on the 18 then I would go for the 17. Either boat is going to be a very nice rig. Are they both tritons? My friend joe bill has a tr186 and he is a big guy and it suits him just fine. My boat is 19 feet 3 inches but a foot of that is a built in jack plate. So my boat is practically an 18 footer and I like it.

Reactions: BassBlaster

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would look into the warranty on both motors. If there is no warranty left on the 18 then I would go for the 17. Either boat is going to be a very nice rig. Are they both tritons? My friend joe bill has a tr186 and he is a big guy and it suits him just fine. My boat is 19 feet 3 inches but a foot of that is a built in jack plate. So my boat is practically an 18 footer and I like it.
Yes both Tritons,

Currently looking at either a new Triton 17 Pro or a used Triton 18 if I can find one that is still in warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
18 / 150 is my vote...Just my dos pecos...The ride is better, smoother and well, more comfortable. Plus, you can catch so many more fish with a 150 over a 115! Ha! I've had both and prefer the bigger. Never in a 18ft'r did I wish I had a smaller boat. Sometimes in a 17, I wish I did. For what it's worth...I'm running a 17' Skeeter now. With the market around Austin...There seems to be no need to buy a new boat. There are good deals to be had out there, that didn't hit the
tourney trail. Just got to look. Time of year will come in play also.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Not sure what your budget is Holmes, but check out the TZX series from Skeeter. The 170, 180, 190, and 195 are all badass boats.

Heck you can get a new TZX 190 with a 150 SHO VMAX (the same motor on Booker and Andy's boats, only a 150 instead of 250) for under $30 grand.

One of our sponsors has one in stock now. And I know you are not a huge fan of glitter, so you can always go to the Skeeter site, build what you want, then work with a dealer on getting delivered to you.

Skeeter 2014 TZX 190

1 - 20 of 50 Posts