Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/29/21
Helping daughter with the grandkids this weekend so we drove to Smithville to pick up oldest. Momma told me we had to be there for a 4:00 pick up but after waiting a while we found out it was actually 6PM. But wait...I have a 3 pcs. spinning rod in the back and a new box of Ned Rig baits. Might as well drive over to the river and kill some time. Momma dropped me off at the bridge and I walked down to the shoreline and started tossing. I haven't used this "emergency" rod/reel combo in about 6 years and I could tell. Line was kinking and reel was stiff. But at least I was casting. Down the bank I was pretty well protected from the wind and was working the gravel bank of an island that split the river out in front of me. Using a watermelon and red flake craw on the Ned rig I was tossing up above the break and letting the current take it down stream. About 15 minutes into the afternoon I felt a different type of bump from the current and went old school on the set - crossing his eyes. Even on that spinning rod that poor little bass came up out of the water, I felt bad for him. But at least I had one on a Ned rig. I worked up and down the bank for about another 75 minutes and managed to catch 3 more little LMB, one decent brim and hooked something that took line for a couple seconds and then broke off. Never even saw it but it got the blood pumping. Back up the bank at dusk and happy that I had kept that silly rod in the back - might even have to upgrade it or at the least - change the line.

1/31/21
Returning to Smithville and I decided we might as well be early again. Momma dropped me off at the river again and took the grand daughter to the park. Since I was on a roll I had decided to bring that fly rod with me this time. Seemed like a fun choice when I left, but probably not a very smart idea once I got there. You would think since I had been there just two days ago I would have remembered there was not a lot of open space and to say I am a novice with a fly rod is being mean to true novices. But I was in shorts and old tennies so I waded out along a shallow gravel bar and began working a bright red/orange/white fly (no clue what it is called but it was one of only 4 I had) along the current letting it float past the break of that island. Less than 10 minutes in and the rod tip bent like I had snagged a monster...oh yeah...fly rod. Played the fish in and out of the current and was actually getting excited at the amount of fight this fish was putting up. Finally worked him in and lifted a very worn out brim out of the water. In the next 30 minutes I managed to hook and catch 2 more brim, hooked and lost 3 more fish and also lost the bright red/orange/white fly along with another one that was sort of black and yellow. Was down to top water popping bug looking things (made me think of you Bill) and I was working a white one along the current and the trying to make it pop in the water as it ran past the island. Not very successful at getting it to pop but I did manage to land another brim. Moved downstream a little to try another angle and sacrificed the white bug to a tree fish up on the bank (several other old lines handing from the branches so at least I wasn't the only one doing that). Tied on a chartreuse floating bug with black, white and red feathers trailing from it. Waded out a little deeper to try and avoid adding additional lures to that tree. Either this fly was heavier than the others (I choose to think not) or I was getting better at casting as I was starting to get the fly further out into the current. Not much was happening so I was trying to work on "popping" the darn thing as it floated down river. Totally immersed in the popping process when the water exploded around that fly and then the line was heading up river. I thought the brim could fight but this one was really being that rod double. Took me about 10 minutes before I was able to coax a nice white bass from the water. Easily a 1lber. Now I was excited. Noticed a little eddy in the water right about where I thought he had hit the fly so I tossed back out there and it was fish on again. This one took me up river and across the shallow gravel bar. Not where you want your 4lb. test tippet rubbing. Should have checked the dang tippet - line went slack and I was out of flies and done for the day. Not sure if I will repeat this process or bring real gear next time. The fly rod was fun but those dang flies cost way more than my regular lures. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
We have different names for our hook-sets. The various CR sweep sets, DS reel sets, Shaky head pop sets, and TR r’ar sets.

Over the years we perfected the “bit while chatting over-the-shoulder set” the “yawning while dead-sticking grab set” and the “redressing the overrun desperate set”.

We’ve employed Fat Cat Newton’s “Boom! Goes the Dynamite” jig set and KVD’s “There’s One!” jerk bait set.

After today, I’m going to work on BassinAg‘s “Crossing His Eyes Old School Set.” If I get that one down, I’ll never lose another fish!

Nice report, sir. We were pretty close to Smithville too. We weren’t wading, but my ankles were getting wet from the three foot rollers crashing over the bow.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Having hosted 2 fly fishing dudes on my boat, I never want to see anything approaching that technique again! Lol...its just not real fishing! Only throwing a half ounce sb105 on a spinning rod is real...everything else is fake and torture...plus, you got your shoes wet...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My grandfather taught me that hook set back in the 70's when a "worm rod" was basically a 2*4 with eyelets. It became a hard habit to break and not a good one to have if there isn't a fish there. I have snipped hooks and thread them through before applying super glue more than once on a fishing trip.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That river down there has been calling me for a long time, only fished tanks around La Grange, but it sounds like the way the Colorado USED to fish east of Austin.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No clue Welder, that was my first time to fish that part of the Colorado. And that was purely accidental. But I think I may be back there, probably with my yak.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Who else is down for a day trip? Not sure how far down it would be, but there is a river access in Tahitian Village. River was flowing pretty well there this past weekend, and the water was pretty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts