Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice breezy morning made me briefly consider other options. Very briefly that is. I’m a weekend angler and by God I’m going fishing on the weekend. I considered the lakes that are open and decided to stick to Plan A: Bastrop.

I loaded two fully charged batteries into the truck and headed out as dawn was breaking. I arrived at 7am. There was no wait at the gate. I paid and backed down the ramp. I dropped the Pond Prowler in and dragged it over to the courtesy dock to rig it out. A couple minutes later, I’m making turns for the main lake point, bumping over the chop.

Not much happening at the point so I trolled into the wind up the choice shoreline, periodically anchoring and fan-casting a Texas-rigged GrandeBass MegaTail. I’d prefer to be throwing a weightless senko into the eel-grass holes. The holes were easily visible in the bright sun, but a challenge to cast at because of the gusty south wind. No worries, I caught six from the outside edge on the MegaTail.

A cadre of yaks with a bay skiff chaperone came through working the inside edge. I saw one of the yakkers fighting a nice slot fish. I hollered some encouragement and he hawg-troughed the good’un. I think he was throwing a frog. They had a phone conference and then wished me luck as they pressed on around the cove. I weighed anchor and went the other way, to the main lake hump.

I rounded the corner and saw whitecaps rolling over the hump, so I anchored off the bow between the hump and the shore. A little bumpy, but I’m used to it from regularly fishing at Pfork. I cast drop-shots at the hydrilla and caught eight fish. I decided to head in, on the way I made one last cast of the Megatail at the point and boated a nice slot fish. All in all a good day on the water.

The ride home is nice, 50 mph with windows down in my hoopty truck listening to Robert Earl Keen down bucolic highway 95. But its just not the same without my fishing buddy...
FDCC38AF-39CF-4DC3-A2B3-C7B109826A6E.jpeg

·
Registered
106 Posts
You make it sound easy, Jeremy. Top the day off with Robert Keen and it sounds perfect to me. You and Todd will be able to fish again...one day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts