What's y'all's C-Rig leader length?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What's y'all's C-Rig leader length?

What's y'all's C-Rig leader length?

What is the usual length of leader used by y'all when you're dragging Carolina rigs?

I just started back throwing C-rigs again after more than several years of overlooking the technique. I used to fish Lake Fork with Jimmy Everett quite a bit and he'd always have a 6 foot leader on his C-rigs and fish it in 20-25 FOW. I went that way but had a tough time feeling the bite that deep with that long a leader, so a lot of the fish were deep hooked. My bad technique, of course.

On two recent LA expeditions, I was tossing a 15lb flouro leader, 2 feet in length, on Day 1. Not too much action there, only one cruiser about 1lb. But on Day 2, when I increased the leader to 4 foot the bite started happening. All the fish were neatly lip-hooked, so for those days anyway the extra length was the difference maker. I was fishing in relatively shallow water, 4 to 8 feet deep.

I guess the optimum length of leader (from the swivel to the hook) depends on the cover, the bait, and the attitude of the fish. As in all things fishing.
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg
    ?

I've never thrown a leader on a Carolina Rig over 2 foot. Usually about 18" - 2' for me.

Primarily depends on water clarity for me. Visibility of 2ft or less, I go with an 18-24" leader... visibility 2-6ft = 36" leader ... super clear water = 48" leader. Most of the time I'm throwing a 2-3ft leader.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

What is this 1991?

Real answer: 12-24", usually closer to 24". If I am C-rigging, then something is really, really wrong with me.
    lurker likes this.
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuWtY_LX6qnPWXHueRC-hQ

I usually set mine somewhere between 12 - 18". I use a weight that the line weaves through so it makes adjustment a breeze. I just mess around with different leader lengths until I hook up.
    Drink more beer......... at least you can catch a buzz

FWIW... I've had success recently from the bank dragging a c-rig with a 12-16" leader (1/4oz weight, glass bead and swivel). I've found it difficult to cast anything longer unless I'm standing on an elevated bank. I did use a 3' leader once while on the steps under the Lamar Pedestrian bridge and caught a 2.5#.
    Kev likes this.

Kev
    All aspects of your c-rig set-up should be considered, not just the leader length. Weight, line test and hook size have all been factors that changed the bite for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Steeler View Post
    What is the usual length of leader used by y'all when you're dragging Carolina rigs?

I just started back throwing C-rigs again after more than several years of overlooking the technique. I used to fish Lake Fork with Jimmy Everett quite a bit and he'd always have a 6 foot leader on his C-rigs and fish it in 20-25 FOW. I went that way but had a tough time feeling the bite that deep with that long a leader, so a lot of the fish were deep hooked. My bad technique, of course.

On two recent LA expeditions, I was tossing a 15lb flouro leader, 2 feet in length, on Day 1. Not too much action there, only one cruiser about 1lb. But on Day 2, when I increased the leader to 4 foot the bite started happening. All the fish were neatly lip-hooked, so for those days anyway the extra length was the difference maker. I was fishing in relatively shallow water, 4 to 8 feet deep.

I guess the optimum length of leader (from the swivel to the hook) depends on the cover, the bait, and the attitude of the fish. As in all things fishing.
    One thing to think of, Flouro sinks way faster than mono. Therefore, I always use Mono for my leader on my Carolina Rig. Try switching your leader to Mono and I would be willing to bet you'll get more bites.

I like Waylon's thinking. I'm going to give it a go the next time I chuck a C-rig. I've been throwing a fluoro leader for a couple of years now with braid for the main line.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylon Papst View Post
    One thing to think of, Flouro sinks way faster than mono. Therefore, I always use Mono for my leader on my Carolina Rig. Try switching your leader to Mono and I would be willing to bet you'll get more bites.
    Wow, sexy and smart!

TTZ1.COM The Source for the Competitive Tournament Angler!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links