Crankbait Hooks - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Crankbait Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch061 View Post
    great stuff!

Do you guys run a swivel or direct tie?
    i like a quick exchange just worry about it running untrue.
    I direct tie. But when I go trolling with my dad he uses a swivel on his crankbaits. He seems to catch as many white bass or hybrids as i do, so I guess it really doesn't bother the fish. Although usually when you are trolling the baits are pretty deep and you are moving at a pretty good speed.
    Mitch061 likes this.

Pro Staff:

Quote Originally Posted by austinjohn View Post
    I direct tie. But when I go trolling with my dad he uses a swivel on his crankbaits. He seems to catch as many white bass or hybrids as i do, so I guess it really doesn't bother the fish. Although usually when you are trolling the baits are pretty deep and you are moving at a pretty good speed.

Thats awesome, I always love having my swivel so i can be quick on the fly but I always worried about presentation.
    There is a thin line between a mallard's mating call and a human fart. The only difference is cadence and odor.

This is a very trophy thread. I feel like a tool because I just take mine right out of the box and tie them on. There is so much to learn from this site, thanks ABF you guys rock!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Waylon Papst View Post
    This is a very trophy thread. I feel like a tool because I just take mine right out of the box and tie them on. There is so much to learn from this site, thanks ABF you guys rock!!!

Frack you smart ass. I really just wanted an excuse to play with my crankbaits today. Fishing stock crankbaits is so not trophy I don't know what to tell you.
    Waylon Papst likes this.

Pro Staff:

Although painting your own crankbaits and tying on feathers and shit is a little to artsy crafty aka gay.
    Waylon Papst likes this.

Pro Staff:

I like the new Gamakatsu Japan tour grade EWG short shank magic eye.......crazy sharp and strong. Especially for jerkbaits that are very touchy with weight changes like the megabass

My chubby fingers still struggle with the task.
    Craig C and austinjohn like this.
    International Ambassadour of the Royal Order of Lightning Wolves

I have never changed out the hooks at the start but I do sharpen them. Last week I had a fish bend a hook on a brand new ZaraSpook, so I'll be changing them out asap.
    I know all you trophy guys may laugh at this but, (here goes)....I bought some H20 express squarebills, sharpened the hooks, and proceeded to catch a bunch of fish yesterday, we got into a school of whites or hybrids (I don't know the diff) and were catching fish on almost every cast for a time, mostly small fish but they were hammering the the crankbait. I had 6-7 fish that had all 3 points of the treble hook stuck in their mouth.
    I caught 2 LMB's the first was a small one that hit the crank but didn't inhale, (like pres Clinton) the stock hooks grabbed his lower jaw underneath (outside) and the front hook had him by the front fin. I believe that the fact that the hooks were needle sharp has everything to do with the percentage of hook-ups (100%).
    Later on we had moved to another spot and my first cast was into another area of feeding fish but this time I had a 4lb+ bass, huge fight, lots of aerial display, much bigger fish than the one that bent the hook on my spook last week, & he was hooked up with both trebs in the mouth, no bent hooks, & no visible damage so I probably won't change out the H20 hooks, just keep them sharp.
    Fishin_Steeler likes this.

I too love the KVD Elite hooks. Does it make me trophy? Hell I dont know, is it possible to be a Trophy, Trophy? Cause I think thats really my next step in trophy-dom. I don't limit my hook changing skillz to cranks though. I also change out hooks on most of my traps. I also use the Norman brand quick change clasp for cranks and the Spro brand for traps. They let the bait swivel so you dont lose action and they have held up to 18lb catfish. I know some people like to change out the split rings but I have never had issues with the stock ones and dont know why you would swap them.

I used to be Trophy, now I'm just atrophied.
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg
    ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links