Spinning reels vs Baitcasting reels
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spinning reels vs Baitcasting reels

All,

Since I started fishing ~2 years ago I've worked my way from a Zebco33 to a Pfluger spinning combo. Quite happy with it, but I am considering giving a baitcasting reel a try, since that's what most of the serious people seem to use. A couple of questions:

Would you'all recommend a baitcast setup for someone who does bank fishing?

What are the advantages of a baitcast over a spinning reel?

Any info would be appreciated.

Felix

p.s. Can you get a boat in and out of the water with a Toyoyta Corolla? ???

Re: Spinning reels vs Baitcasting reels

Depends on the towing ability of the vehicle and the bumper or hitch on the vehicle. Good luck with that. :-) When I was a teen in highschool I drove around with a canoe strapped to the top of my camero to go bass fishing. ;D

Felix,

My two cents: *I've been where you are. *Just getting into fishing without much gear to start with. *

If you're looking for a boat that can be trailered by a Corolla, you might want to look at a 16' Bass Tracker with a 25 HP engine. *They are aluminum boats (light weight) and will fish well on the smaller lakes around Austin. *You can find used Tracker's for 5K or less if you look around. *I had a 4 cylinder Ranger that banged out 125HP that I pulled my Tracker with. *

As far as bait casting reels go, I would suggest an Abu Garcia 5500. *They are tough reels. *They are easy to operate and don't have all the fancy components that the $100 plus reels have. *You can find them at Academy for $68. *I just bought one for my Father-in-Law. *He's a beginner fisherman. *There's a fella on Craigslist selling a couple of used 5500's right now.

Academy is selling their 6'6" Medium Heavy, All Star Classic Rods for $39 at this time. *That's also a good deal. *This combo will set you up pretty nice.

Good luck,

WW

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Oh back to the bait caster vs the spinning reel... It doesn't matter where you fish, but I would say stay away from spooling up with braid unless you do not mind swimming to retrieve your lure or don't mind respooling often because you gotta cut the line.

Administrator

I have got a couple of berkley lightning rods and pinnacle baitcasters rods and reels I could let go for CHEAP...let me know if you want to borrow one and then you can pay me for it if you like it...hows that for a deal!

Anyways, baitcasting reels are going to let you use heavier line and have better cast control/accuracy. They also backlash, but with some practice you can avoid that usually.

Let me know on the rod and reel...

Administrator

And on the car, probably be pretty limited to what you pull, nothing except the small tracker al boat...

However, depending on what year model the car is and your situation a 2WD V6 SWB pickup will pull just about anything but the battleship bassboats and you can get into them for pretty cheap....

Felix,

Are you left or right-handed? I've also got a couple of rigs I could let go. They are left-handed however. I believe Grnhead's rigs are right-handed. That right TDub? Anyway, they are Abu-Garcia 5500's with decent rods......

Administrator

Yep, I fish right but drink left... ;D

If you are the person I think you are,you fish town alot right? Personally I have both spinning and baitcast reels,but for town I tend to use the spinning a bit more,solely b/c there are lots of trees around the town shores,and its a bit easier,for me at least to side arm cast a spinner or go around a tree with it then it is for the baitcast reels.It being able to cast a bit easier formyself leaves more time to fish and less headache. I know when i only take a BC I can still manage around the shorline obstacles,it is a bit harder,and i always end up backlashing b/c of the lack of space,easiest to cast with open area for me at least. And on the boat thing,I would reccomend an inflatable of some kind. I picked up a raft type deal at cabelas a while back for like 100 bucks. Keep it the trunk of my 323i and have room for golfclubs,softball gear,bowling gear,paintball gear,lol pretty much a sports store. If you do go that route,get a good motorized inflator,walmart has some for like 30 bucks.

Super Moderator

FPJ,

At this point you could probably teach yourself to fish either a left or right handed baitcaster. Well maybe....

It will depend on how your current spinning reels are set up. It might be easier to learn if you mimic how your the crank handles are set up on your current reels. For example if your spinners have the handle on the right then you might want to get a baitcaster with the handle on the right. Vice versa if they're on the left then go with a baitcaster with the crank handle on the left.

I learned how to use a baitcaster about 3 years ago. Before that all of my gear was spinning reels. All of my spinning reels were set up with the crank handle on the left side of the reel. So I casted with my right and then cranked the reel with my left. I figured I'd stay with that kind of set up when I learned to bait cast. I'm glad I did, it just seemed to make the transition from my spinners to baitcasters more natural. So.. I ended up being a right handed person that likes to fish lefty baitcasters. All that being said, I can actually fish a right or left baitcaster it's just a matter of preference now. Not sure how that worked out but oh well, it works for me. Anyhow here's why I prefer left; unlike right handers there is no wasted motion of casting with your right hand then having to move the rod to your left hand and then finally cranking with your right hand. I just cast with my right, then crank with my left. I know its a little picky detail but thats just how I am...

Some other Pro / con on being a lefty baitcaster:

PRO and CON
    -right handed friends cant use my gear

CON
    -left handed reels are sometimes not readily availiable as righty

PRO
    -no switching hands to cast and reel
    -(if your right handed) fishing with a lefty keeps your rod in your strong arm (think, hook sets).
    -easier for me to change to a right handed reel versus a right hander changing to my lefty reel (could just be me, i can fish both)

Either way I think you'll enjoy a baitcaster once you learn how to use it.

-TDV- <(((><

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links