Night fishing
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing

Super Moderator

Night fishing

I would like to learn more about fishing in the dark...literally...as opposed to what I feel like I'm doing sometimes when the bite is slow

Anyhow, back on topic. I've noticed that I have never caught any fish when it is completely dark (late night or early morning). Admittedly I haven't spent much time fishing during these conditions, but I've heard the way you fish and lure selection can vary from what you would use during normal light conditions. I'd like to get some feedback on how to improve as a night fisherman.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

-Rich

Re: Night fishing

I have only fished a few times at night,and all times have been few days before,on it,or after a full moon. I have had done fairly well throwing black zoom toads or black w/ blue flake senkos. Think the the darker the btter,I could be wrong,but I think with the frogs or other top water baits,the fish see a silouette <sp> and strike at that.But I could be wrong.In any case,I usually have fished darker colors to get more bites.

Dark colors - Black, Blue, Red, Purple, Green, or Brown.

Flash - Big Colorado Blades on spinner baits in nickle.
    Plug here - Fool-A-Fish will add to the flash factor!

Rattle - Jigs with rattles, spinner baits with rattles, anything else that rattles.

Top Waters - Frogs and Buzz baits (dark colors)

Flavor! Must have more than just salt, Garlic is my personal favorite. Drown your lure in it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Darker colors for unlit waters.

For lighted areas, I use what I use during daylight.

Fluorescent line and a black light help when wormin' or jiggin'.

I like using black plastics especially the ones with some yellow streaks in them. It's just a bait that I have confidence in and seem to get more bites with it. But the older you get, the more frustrated it can be working out back lashes and retying. So be sure to bring a good LED flashlight, I like the sweat band type that you wear on your head. The light is always pointing where your eyes are looking and allows use of both hands.
    "The two best times to fish is when it\'s rainin\' and when it ain\'t."

Administrator

Follow Dale and Paul

A lot of the info given is good! I am no expert of night fishing but I do recomend you wait till it warms up a little to start fishing at night. In my experience fish bite better during the light hours during the winter - summer can be a diff story!

Super Moderator

Thanks for all of the tips! It will likely be this coming spring before I get a chance to pull a late night or all nighter on LA. I'll keep you posted on how I do. Your advice will at least get me pointed in the right direction. Who knows, maybe I'll hook into a sleep walking bass!

-Rich

Join the Texas Classic Bass Club... We normally fish a few night tournaments a year when the temps get in to the 95+ temps in the day. Lake Austing, Dunlap, and LBJ are the best lakes around here to fish at night.

I love night fishing and even though most people think of it as a summer thing I find it just as good or better in the fall. Town or even Travis on a Nov or Dec warmer night can be excelent. All the central Tx lakes for that matter. 3/8 or a 1/2 oz pulsator SB in the #25 color Black/red. Blue flec or any darker Power worm with a rattle and scent. Denny Bauer rattleback jig, weight depends on what your fishing, black/blue or dark brown Be quiet.. Be patient and be confident... take a friend and don't stop casting. CAM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links