WTB Baitcast rod and reel
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: WTB Baitcast rod and reel

WTB Baitcast rod and reel

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to targeting black bass specifically and fairly new to the Austin area.

I grew up doing a little fishing with my grandpa. Mostly catfishing from the bank and trolling the lake I grew up around for white bass and crappie.

Needless to say, I never paid attention to what types of rods and reels we were using and was spoiled by my grandpa knowing where the fish were.

The only black bass fishing I've ever done is with a medium action ugly stik usually throwing spinnerbaits and crankbaits. Usually just messing around while camping or catfishing.

I recently bought a 6'6 IM6 Medium Power Fast Action spinning rod and reel combo on sale. I don't know if it's a great rod for what I'm wanting to do with it, but I got it in hopes of throwing some soft plastic worms and lizards weightless or lightly weighted. I'm completely new to this and have never caught a fish on a plastic worm, lizard or anything. I've taken this new rod out once and threw plastics on it for a few hours without any success. What would this rod be good for?

I just got into kayak fishing and also enjoy fishing from the bank.

What advice can you give me and can you recommend a beginner baitcast rod and reel that won't break the bank? Maybe around 150.

Dez
    Smimano Curado on Ebay for $135 to the door and a Castaway Coastal or Allstar Classic are about $40 on sale at Academy..

Last edited by Dez; 08-16-2011 at 09:42 AM.

X2
    If you can't do the Curado, the Shimano Citica is right there with it for less. I had two and loved them. Better than the Daiwa's and Quantums that I had used.
    Tenfo?

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Are you a lefty or righty? I might have something for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arai View Post
    Are you a lefty or righty? I might have something for you.
    I'm right handed. I think I want a left handed one, but I know they are usually right handed.
    Last edited by hooked; 08-16-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: I forgot I was right handed

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Smimano Curado on Ebay for $135 to the door and a Castaway Coastal or Allstar Classic are about $40 on sale at Academy..
    What power rod would you recommend? Medium heavy or heavy?

Really I'm not sure what I need to add to my arsenal. I have the medium action ugly stik that I think will work fine now for crankbaits and top waters such as chug bugs.

I have the Lew's combo, which is what I described above (6'6 medium power, fast action im6 spinning rod and reel) which I think might be alright for lighter spinnerbaits and maybe some finesse worm fishing. Am I on the right track here?

With this baitcast rod and reel I'm hoping to throw maybe heavier plastics, spinnerbaits and top water frogs. Does this sound reasonable? Any help appreciated. What would you do in my situation with your knowledge you have now?

I am getting ready to post a really nice Shimano Curado and a Medium Heavy 7'6" B&R Outlaw rod for sale,With Rod cover and reel cover used very little and in excellent condition, sold new for $340.00 new plus tax. I am lightning up my arsennal some. I am in Dripping Springs area, just west of you. I will sell with no shipping for $225.00 it is a great buy. let me know via email at [email protected]

I have a newer Citica that's been polished internally, the spool replaced with a Curado spool and the drag washers replaced with carbontex washers. It flat out ZINGS! I also have a few Falcon rods I listed for sale here yesterday. They are more of a worm rod though.....not a spinnerbait rod. If you decide you wanted a worm rod instead, I would take $160 for the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I'm a lefty. I think I want a left handed one, but I know they are usually right handed.
    Woops. I don't know why I said I'm a lefty. I'm right handed. Haha. Guess I was thinking I wanted a left handed reel. I usually cast with my right hand and reel with my left.

Anyways. Thanks for the offers guys, but I'm gonna have to wait a little while before I get anything.

I was really just hoping to get some insight from you guys and learn a bit more so I can be ready and have an idea of what I want.

Keep it comin' otherwise I'll just come back to this thread when I have cash in hand.

Dez
    So you don't WTB rod and reel combo.. You want to waste some time.. Got it.

mjv80 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links