cleaning gel coat on a ranger
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

cleaning gel coat on a ranger

my dad's ranger is pretty faded. you can see parts of the boat that are still "glittery". i would like to restore the finish for him for fathers day. any suggestions? i don't have alot of time to spend on it so any hints or time saving tricks would be much appreciated.
    thanks
    matt

Sounds good, afterwards we can have a knitting circle and discuss our menstruation cycles.John Ward

Administrator

Re: cleaning gel coat on a ranger

Depends on what shape the finish is in....everything from wet sanding to a simple cleaning wax could fix him up.

What year hull? Can you feel any flake or rough spots?

knapperhead,

I went through this on a 10 yr. old Champ several years ago....here's what I did....

Started on a small inconspicuous spot (that was open to the sun) with polishing compound....compounded the spot, cleaned the spot, polished the spot and waxed the spot with good carnuba paste wax....looked pretty good....for a while. Then stepped up to rubbing compound and did the same thing....same results, only it lasted a bit longer. Ended up wet sanding it, cleaning it & resealing the fiberglas, polishing it with an electric polisher then waxing it with the good stuff. There was a world of difference so I then removed all the trim & hardware that was in the way and did the entire boat. Took me a whole weekend but it lasted for years til I sold the boat.
    I would clean it and wax it real good about every six months.

Hope this helps....

GL&GF,
    Bill @ S.O.B.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

bill I have a older boat to and i wanted to respray my boat.Here's my point of thanking. I know it can't be good.Wet sand it down untill it is smooth,I was thanking about spraying it with sanding sealer first,and sanding untill smooth.And then spraying it with clear coat.But i don't know if the sanding sealer will make a diffence or not.do you know anything about spraying sandind sealer on fiberglass first.I need all the help i can,THANKS

thanks for the tips guys. the boat is about 10 years old and pretty faded. i think wet sanding might be the best bet. thanks again, matt

Sounds good, afterwards we can have a knitting circle and discuss our menstruation cycles.John Ward

dfish,

Sorry, I can't help you with the Sanding Sealer....I used a bottled product that was hand applied, just like you would do with liquid polish.

If I'm not mistaken, it was just called fiberglass sealer....

Bill @ S.O.B.

Sponsored Links