Bass Fishing Forum banner

Police Search for Missing Kayaker at Lake Pflugerville

955 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rbdavis3591 
#1 ·
https://www.kxan.com/news/latest/police-search-for-missing-kayaker-at-lake-pflugerville/2065075698

Pflugerville police are searching for a kayaker in her 20s that potentially drowned at Lake Pflugerville Sunday as severe weather pushed through Central Texas.

A City of Pflugerville spokesperson said the search has switched from rescue to recovery. Crews will start the search again in the morning with a diving team on-hand.

Police got the call about the potential drowning at 6:46 p.m. Officials say neither she nor the kayak have been recovered at this time.

The Pflugerville Police and Fire Departments and the Austin Fire Department are on scene conducting the search.

Lake Pflugerville is closed to the public at this time.

#2 ·
I called at noon today and the "investigation" is on-going according to the COP receptionist. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family for their loss.

Last year's drowning was caused by entrapment by hydrilla according to a media interview with an accomplished triathlete. I don't know how much that played into the city's decision to spray the lake and kill the hydrilla.

Now the hydrilla has been completely eradicated. The lake is now a "sport lake" for non-angling use. I see a lot more swimmers, paddle boarders and pool floaters.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a family taking turns launching a kayak from the south shore. I noticed the family members were not wearing PFDs. When it was the daughters turn she paddled within earshot of me. I asked her if she had a lifejacket. She said it was "in the back." I said OK.

Next time, I'm going to tell her, "For the love of Christ, PUT IT ON!"

#4 ·
AUSTIN (KXAN) — A body was recovered from Lake Pflugerville Wednesday morning and officials are waiting on positive identification from the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office, according to a press release from the City of Pflugerville.

While the identity of the person is not confirmed, authorities were searching the lake for days after a kayaker disappeared Sunday evening.

"As severe weather blew through, a female in her 20s in a kayak was carried into deeper water," officials wrote. "The kayak is believed to have blown away, and it has yet to be recovered."

A family member told KXAN on Sunday that a man made it safely back to shore when severe weather struck but his wife did not.

The multi-agency search included teams from the Pflugerville Police Department, Travis County Sheriff's Office Dive Team, Texas Search and Rescue, Pflugerville Fire Department, Austin Fire Department, Austin Police Department, Jonestown Police Department, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the American Red Cross.

Lake Pflugerville and the trail will be open to the public at noon Wednesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.