Senko rod Suggestions?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Senko rod Suggestions?

Had my gear stolen last week so now I'm looking at replacing everything. First up, a spinning rod for slinging senkos and soft plastics. My old rod was a Cableas rod that I loved and they no longer make (thanks BPS). Any suggestion?

How much do you want to spend? What are the features you are looking for? Weight, sensitivity, looks, handle material.

I am partial to St. Croix, Avid and up, along with Phenix.

Shooting off the hip, I would recommend a 7 foot medium heavy with a fast tip spinning rod and using 12lb or heavier line. But I throw bait casting rods 98% of the time. I have the Cabelas Fish Eagle bait casting rod and used it for years with Senkos. But they no longer make it in the 1/4 to 5/8 oz.

Replacing fishing rods is the hardest thing to replace when they are stolen. It took me 3 years to replace the ones I had. And I bought some that i thought would be great and are now sitting in a pile I no longer use. Each fisherman has their own preference for the way they fish a bait. So to give you a spot on recommendation would be difficult. Mainly because it depends if you are fishing from the bank, a kayak or a boat. Also depends on what size line you normally throw. 10 lb or less line then maybe a medium rod. I'm not trying to throw a bunch of jibberish at you. Just that it is probably the hardest question for me to answer. Maybe someone on ABF that has some spinning rods can let you barrow for a day and try out?

I get depressed just thinking about a thief taking my rods again. I totally feel the pain you are going through...

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stcow1 View Post
    Had my gear stolen last week so now I'm looking at replacing everything. First up, a spinning rod for slinging senkos and soft plastics. My old rod was a Cableas rod that I loved and they no longer make (thanks BPS). Any suggestion?
    I'm in love with Diawa BG reel for just about every purpose... but for rods it is a bit more personal preference. I love my Lew's rods, they are pretty reasonable ($100 or less for their basic models), use them almost exclusively for soft plastics. I admit that I caught more fish than ever on a medium 2 piece $14.99 Diawa rod I bought for kids though. For whatever reason that thing was lucky... and had great action particularly for wacky rig.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. My two stolen rods were Cabelas Fish Eagle 50 rods , 6'6" mediums which I paired with Shimano Stradic 2500. I loved these rods but I hate the new versions that are currently in production. I usually will a weightless senko on throw 30lb braid with a 6ft 12lbs flouro leader. I've looked into the St.Croix rods but BPS didn't have a model I liked in stock when I went this weekend. I ended up picking up two Abu rods that I am going to test out tomorrow. As for pricing, I am totally willing to spend good money for a good product.

Jabroni Rig ?!!!! Oh well here goes:

My favorite spinning rod is an All*Star ASTeam "Wacky Worm" 6'9" MF. It is long enough for quickly moving slack line during hooksets while fishing weightless and short enough to make accurate casts from a yak to shoreline vegetation.

My "pencil grinder" budget has never gone over $60. I have not been happy with any spinning reel that I've owned. I would probably love a Stradic, so I definitely feel your pain there.

I've been using the same combo for wacky senkos for over 5 years. Have caught numerous 5+ fish on it. It's basically my right arm, wouldn't be caught without it. Phenix UMBX MH spinning, Quantum Smoke reel, hi vis 20lb braid. Not cheap, but it is an amazing combo that casts great and lands big fish. I broke the butt of the rod once and had it repaired by my friend, and I've replaced the reel once after dunking it and having the bearings get sticky.

I've been using casting Shimano Crucial for 6 years. Best damn rod in my bunch. And I bought it for like $50 at BPS.

Sponsored Links