Looking at new rod and reels Suggestions?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
    Spicewood on Colorado Arm of Lake Travis as of March 2017

Looking at new rod and reels Suggestions?

Anyone have one of the Shimano Curado DC (digital controlled braking) baitcasting reels?
    I am going to buy 2 of them this week. Any comments or reviews will be appreciated.
    Also looking at getting a couple of Lew's Tournament series tp1xhr baitcasting reels.
    Or just get one of each and see which one I like the best.
    Got all my tackle boxes and rods and reels stolen from locked rod/storage boxes on my boat (and they stole my propellor)
    Also looking at either Falcon or St Croix rods (7' MH) Recommendations?
    Gonna keep all gear in my garage from now on....
    Also looking at Shimano and/or Lew's spinning reels.

I bought two of the Curado DC's and took them down to El Salto last week. Once I got them dialed in they worked as expected, with almost no thumb control needed except at the end of the lure's travel. The key is to balance the cast control knob with the setting on the DC wafer. The first setting opens the side plate, settings 1 through 4 provides the braking going incrementally higher. I can see that skipping under docks and trees will be much easier, since I now only use spinning gear for that purpose. No docks or trees at El Salto or Picachos, so I couldn't try that technique there.

Sorry about the robbery, man. That sh!t sucks totally.
    Last edited by Herb Steiner; 05-16-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Whoever said "the pen is mightier than the sword" has obviously never been stabbed.

Saying "that sucks" is serious understatement, but "that sucks". Is your boat at a marina or private dock? I keep my gear on my boat at a public marina on Lake Travis, but your experience has me worried.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but those most adaptive to change." Charles Darwin

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Spicewood on Colorado Arm of Lake Travis as of March 2017
    My boat is on a HydraHoist in our neighborhood 60 boat marina on Colorado Arm of LT and is the only bass boat in the marina. Had to be someone fishing around the marina boat slips. Filed report with TCSO. They came by water and uncovered the boat, pried open the locked rod boxes, and put boat in gear to steal the propeller. $4,000+ worth of gear/prop stolen. Had insurance thankfully.

GH, really sorry to hear you got ripped off. I had that happen about 25 years ago and they got all my rods, prop and depth finders too. They flat wiped me out. I pack it all in the garage ever since. It was not only the money lost, but the years of finding the right rods. Reels can be bought pretty easy. But matching the rod to the bait took me a couple years. I bought what I thought would work, but I ended up buying multiple rods before I got it right. Rod manufacturers change their rods almost every year.

If you need 2 or 3 hand me down rods (But good) in the mean time, send me a PM. I'd be glad to help a fellow fisherman out.

Michael Heiman

Sponsored Links