Looking at new rod and reels Suggestions?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking at new rod and reels Suggestions?

Spicewood on Colorado Arm of Lake Travis as of March 2017

Looking at new rod and reels Suggestions?

Anyone have one of the Shimano Curado DC (digital controlled braking) baitcasting reels?
    I am going to buy 2 of them this week. Any comments or reviews will be appreciated.
    Also looking at getting a couple of Lew's Tournament series tp1xhr baitcasting reels.
    Or just get one of each and see which one I like the best.
    Got all my tackle boxes and rods and reels stolen from locked rod/storage boxes on my boat (and they stole my propellor)
    Also looking at either Falcon or St Croix rods (7' MH) Recommendations?
    Gonna keep all gear in my garage from now on....
    Also looking at Shimano and/or Lew's spinning reels.

I bought two of the Curado DC's and took them down to El Salto last week. Once I got them dialed in they worked as expected, with almost no thumb control needed except at the end of the lure's travel. The key is to balance the cast control knob with the setting on the DC wafer. The first setting opens the side plate, settings 1 through 4 provides the braking going incrementally higher. I can see that skipping under docks and trees will be much easier, since I now only use spinning gear for that purpose. No docks or trees at El Salto or Picachos, so I couldn't try that technique there.

Sorry about the robbery, man. That sh!t sucks totally.
    Last edited by Herb Steiner; 05-16-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Whoever said "the pen is mightier than the sword" has obviously never been stabbed.

Saying "that sucks" is serious understatement, but "that sucks". Is your boat at a marina or private dock? I keep my gear on my boat at a public marina on Lake Travis, but your experience has me worried.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but those most adaptive to change." Charles Darwin

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

My boat is on a HydraHoist in our neighborhood 60 boat marina on Colorado Arm of LT and is the only bass boat in the marina. Had to be someone fishing around the marina boat slips. Filed report with TCSO. They came by water and uncovered the boat, pried open the locked rod boxes, and put boat in gear to steal the propeller. $4,000+ worth of gear/prop stolen. Had insurance thankfully.

GH, really sorry to hear you got ripped off. I had that happen about 25 years ago and they got all my rods, prop and depth finders too. They flat wiped me out. I pack it all in the garage ever since. It was not only the money lost, but the years of finding the right rods. Reels can be bought pretty easy. But matching the rod to the bait took me a couple years. I bought what I thought would work, but I ended up buying multiple rods before I got it right. Rod manufacturers change their rods almost every year.

If you need 2 or 3 hand me down rods (But good) in the mean time, send me a PM. I'd be glad to help a fellow fisherman out.

Michael Heiman
    langlowe9 likes this.

Thanks Michael. I had several older BPS rods and reels that were in my attic so have been using those until I get the check from the insurance company. Will buy all new gear in one week when I get home from Florida. Looking at either Daiwa or Shimano spinning reels. Any suggestions from anyone on model numbers?
    Falcon or Shimano or St Croix rods.
    Son in law just bought a Daiwa 6500 with 80 lb braid for our tarpon fishing trip tomorrow off Sarasota FL coast. I’m new to saltwater fishing so it should be interesting!
    Last edited by ghphotography; 05-19-2019 at 11:13 AM.

I have one curado DC. so far it's ok. I haven't been able to dial it in as well as I'd like for skipping, but for normal casts it's great. Since I have never had any issues with baitcast reels, my single purpose for this reel was skipping. When set according to the recommendations for skipping on braid, it tends to get "grippy" and end the cast early. If anything it seems to be working too well. I am pretty sure it's user error and have not had the chance to go out and test it out with less aggressive settings. One funny story though. I told my brother about the reel. On my first trip out with it, he asked me to prove that the reel worked. I cast time after time never putting my thumb on the line with zero backlashes. He demands that I hand it over. Makes a single cast... and you know it... the reel exploded in one of the worst backlashes I have ever seen. Not sure what he did different, but no one can say it's idiot proof. It's not. It's more like a driver assist feature, not an autopilot.

I got a Shimano curado DC a couple of months ago. I like it. I haven't had much luck with baitcasters but I'm getting better. That being said the DC is fairly easy for me to use once I got it set up properly and I think it's well worth the money.

I fish exclusively with Abu Garcia reels and St Croix rods. Well almost exclusively on the rods. I just bought a Phenix M11 for fishing oversized crankbaits in really deep water.

I have not really fished with any other brand rod, other than that specialized Phenix, so I have no reference point in which to compare them to. I am also cheap and St Croix has the Premier line which fits my needs in some cases. I will say this though, that Phenix is a nice rod. While I like the St Croix Legend and Elite rods there is no way I can justify spending that kind of coin.

For non crankbait reaction baits I use the most cost efficient Premier line in a mix of 7" M/F and MH/F. This includes: spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jerkbaits, paddletails, flutter spoon, buzzbait, along with a few others. My thought is that there is less strike detection and more of a hit or the line goes slack.

I use a single St Croix Mojo and that is only for topwater. I wanted a 6'8" rod with a extra fast tip and didn't want to spend $300. It works well for what it does. I don't think I would have a rod locker full of Mojos though.

For small crankbaits I use a St Croix Avid 7' M/M. It loads those small cranks up nice and cast them a mile if needed.
    For normal crankbaits I use a St Croix 7' Premier MH/F and it works just fine. Nice bend and keeps those fish pinned.
    For lipless crankbaits I use a St Croix 7' Avid M/F. Just because lipless is one of my favorite ways to fish.

For soft plastics I use the St Croix Avid-X rods. I think the micro guides help with strike detection even though it may reduce casting distance just a bit.
    My favorite combination is what I have for weightless wacky, Abu MGX on a Avid-X 7' M/F.

For the few spinning setups I have the use both Avid and Premier. I will have to say the Avid 6'8" M/XF I use for dropshot is pretty nice.

Todd
    Last edited by langlowe9; 05-24-2019 at 07:48 AM.

Great information guys!!! Thanks for the advise. Think I will buy 1 Curado DC, 1 Lews Tournament Pro, and 1 Daiwa reel, and see which one I like the best then take the other two back and get 3 of the most favorite. Looking at probably buying 2 Shimano rods and 2 Falcon rods to see which of those I like best. Been using mostly Lew's but wanting to try some others for a change.
    (I did get to go tarpon and off shore fishing this past week in Florida, so will be posting photos from that trip in the appropriate section of my tarpon and the grouper I caught)
    Thanks again for the comments and suggestions/information...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links