time for a new "fish finder"
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: time for a new "fish finder"

time for a new "fish finder"

Its time for this old fisherman to upgrade to a current model of fish finder. Soooo many choices! I usually just use my finder for depth and a little for structure, but not much as I usually know the lake I'm fishing fairly well. That said, it'd be nice to have one'a them new fangled fancy schmancy thingamajiggers. I'm not looking to spend $700, but I don't want some cheap POS for $100 either. I'm hearing good stuff about the Hummingbird Helix, but does the DSI really work? Is it pretty accurate and is it even necessary? So give me your thoughts, what do you run on your boat? If you've used DSI, is it worth it or is it pretty much new technology that isn't quite there yet? Thanks in advance for your input!
    i wonder if the fish dream about me as often as i dream about them?

look for used units I got two units last year for half the price of one. Still trying to learn what I am looking at
    Liebersdad likes this.
    http://bkcustomknives.com/ <--- Awesome custom knives, ask about his fillet knife and tell him Dustin sent you

Hard to beat the Lowrance Elite 4 or 5 series with DSI for price and features. Yes , DSI is great and worth the extra cost.
    NjTexan and Liebersdad like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I just purchased the Lowrance elite 5 & 7. Haven't had a chance to use them, but really like everything I've read about them so far. But I also purchased the novionics chips for both of them as well. I installed the 5 up front as a flush mount, which required some extra work, but I like the results. I need to install the 7. It shouldn't take me long to do it, but it's been way to hot outside. That's my excuse any way. But I'm also having an issue trying to figure out which way I want a go with the transducer with the 7. I think the outside mount will give me a better picture, but a shoot through hull transducer would be one less thing to worry about damaging while fishing timber or shallow water.
    Last edited by fishytx; 08-14-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    Liebersdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebersdad View Post
    Its time for this old fisherman to upgrade to a current model of fish finder. Soooo many choices! I usually just use my finder for depth and a little for structure, but not much as I usually know the lake I'm fishing fairly well. That said, it'd be nice to have one'a them new fangled fancy schmancy thingamajiggers. I'm not looking to spend $700, but I don't want some cheap POS for $100 either. I'm hearing good stuff about the Hummingbird Helix, but does the DSI really work? Is it pretty accurate and is it even necessary? So give me your thoughts, what do you run on your boat? If you've used DSI, is it worth it or is it pretty much new technology that isn't quite there yet? Thanks in advance for your input!
    I've had the 'Bird Helix 5 SI for about 3 months now. I picked up this unit so I could start using my electronics for a little more than depth/contour water temp etc. and start being able to really target what I'm looking for in structure. It does the job real well. This was an upgrade from the Lowrance Mark 5X for me. Its a total game changer, especially on Lake Austin where now that I have it I would consider it essential. Side Imaging picks up structure all the way to the bank, even under docks.
    Liebersdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fishytx View Post
    I just purchased the Lowrance elite 5 & 7. Haven't had a chance to use them, but really like everything I've read about them so far. But I also purchased the novionics chips for both of them as well. I installed the 5 up front as a flush mount, which required some extra work, but I like the results. I need to install the 7. It shouldn't take me long to do it, but it's been way to hot outside. That's my excuse any way. But I'm also having an issue trying to figure out which way I want a go with the transducer with the 7. I think the outside mount will give me a better picture, but a shoot through hull transducer would be one less thing to worry about damaging while fishing timber or shallow water.
    Does your transducer mount have a kick-up mechanism? My last one didn't and I didn't think it was necessary. But sure enough my new one has been kicked-up a few times now while out there fishing and I never felt like I hit anything.

DSI is definitely worth the bucks. I was never sold on side imaging until I went fishing with Ander and he showed us what that feature could do.

If you really just want to see depth and nothing else, go for a used unit.

If you want to be amazed and wonder how you ever fished before, go for the side scan. The bigger the screen the further away you can have your face from the glass and still see things.

In my opinion.
    MattATX and Liebersdad like this.
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

I may have wished I had gotten a side scan system myself. Once you get the contrast set right, it will show you a decent picture. But you got a play with it. Same goes for the DSI system. I see too many people invest in these and they don't know how to use them right. Read the book and play with it, they are awesome.
    Liebersdad likes this.

Spicewood on Colorado Arm of Lake Travis as of March 2017
    I got the Lowrance Elite 7 last year and love it. They now have the Elite Chirp 7 for even $50 cheaper than what I paid for $549 at BPS I think.
    Highly recommend it, installed with a RAM mount.
    Liebersdad likes this.

Appreciate all the input, guys! i was leaning toward the helix, but hearing y'all talk about the elite i am rethinking. i am really looking forward to using 'lectrics for fishing rather than depth!
    i wonder if the fish dream about me as often as i dream about them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links