Hydraulic anchor, thoughts?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hydraulic anchor, thoughts?

Hydraulic anchor, thoughts?

Hi everyone, I thought of getting one of those talon anchors.
    https://www.boatid.com/images/minn-k...structions.pdf
    Yes, I have a regular anchor and yes I know, that ones by Minnkota are damn expensive....
    But hell, I've been looking at it for over a year, and I believe that's something that I need.
    But before spending $1.5K I wanted to hear opinion of someone, who's got one. Can anyone share your opinion/experience/thoughts, please?

I used a poor mans version for a while, just a long fiberglass pole and mount on transom. After a few trips of the coast I decided it was worth it and got a power pole mainly because that's what I saw used at the coast. I have a CC boat. I'll never use an old fashioned anchor again. Its not much use fishing around here except when I use it to hold the boat at the ramp. In central tx the lakes are just too deep for it to be useful. However, I see these bass boats with 2 of them so they are using them elsewhere I suppose.
    Tony_B likes this.

Hey @Donf, thanks for replying, man. I've read some more reviews on those anchors, and people really say, you need 2 of them to hold the boat... I thought 1 pole per a boat is enough

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I guess it depends on the style of fishing you do. I think. For the flats on the coast? Would the added weight be a deterrent? I'm assuming an anchor would be on board, then adding two power poles...every ounce counts, especially in a scooter in 6in of water...beyond that scenario, just fishing bastrop, I couldn't use power poles cuz I'm usually in ten feet or more...I've become decent at gauging all the variables and dropping anchor at just the right spot...and if the fish move a little further away, I can let out more line and drift closer...also, I do work an area pretty good before moving....but I know the areas I hit on bastrop....seems like a lot of money I could spend on something else...thinking of adding a short tower above the center console...casting from on high is awesome!

I started out using this thing and actually still have it on the starboard side. You can do this for less than $200 and it really works well.
    https://stickitanchorpins.com/
    For coast fishing it was a big improvement over my regular anchor. Only problem was that after a while it drilled down into the sand and it became hard work and took time to pull it up. So then I decided to get the power pole and it is so easy to just pull up and put the pole down and hold my position. I'm talking about coast fishing where the depth is typically 8 feet down to 1 ft. My boat will float in 18" even less if I get out. When I bass fish I'm always on the trolling motor so the only time I put out an anchor is at the boat ramp so my boat doesn't float off. So....if I were bass fishing around here only I don't see a reason to buy one, certainly not 2.

Again, if you go to the coast everyone has one usually just 1 and it is definitely worth it. Nobody uses old fashioned chain anchors. I do use a drift anchor but that's a whole another situation, you are just wanting to slow down as you drift.

For now I'm in the market for a leaning post as I feel like I have to stand up in my boat to look around for diving birds or make sure I don't run over something.
    Last edited by Donf; 08-21-2018 at 09:50 PM.

I have contemplated getting a pair of power poles for my boat. I don't think I really need them because I use the anchor mode on my XI5 trolling motor.
    In fact the only time I could see myself using them would be at the dock or when swimming with my kids.

But damn they do look cool on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by langlowe9 View Post

They could inhibit your ability to slide under that low bridge to the honey hole of bass love, or getting past that flooded timber to the big'un on her bed.

Its also crucial to consider they might get in the way of your backseat's ability at skipping docks, or you could just invite to the front deck.
    langlowe9 likes this.

Jeremy, the voice of reason.
    Jeremy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by langlowe9 View Post
    I have contemplated getting a pair of power poles for my boat. I don't think I really need them because I use the anchor mode on my XI5 trolling motor.
    In fact the only time I could see myself using them would be at the dock or when swimming with my kids.

If you want something that looks cool, put one on the back and one on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    If you want something that looks cool, put one on the back and one on the front.
    ...and then have your friend sit on the front butt seat while you get up on plane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links