Buying first boat...?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By J.R.
  • 1 Post By just plain bill

Thread: Buying first boat...?

Buying first boat...?

I'm planning to buy my first boat. I have a 2003 BCB Pantera Classic with a 2003 Mercury 200 EFI with 204 hours that I'm interested in. Is $15.5 a good deal?

BoatHamby's Beaching Bumper, Lowrance Mark-5X Pro at Helm, Lowrance Elite-7HDI at Bow
    Motorguide Tour TR-FB trolling motor (82lb thrust). (2) Matching Folding seats, matching butt seat, flipping deck. Onboard 3 bank charger. Mercury Smartgauges. Always garage kept and wiped down after every trip. Clean and in good condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 2002 Mercury 200 EFI Saltwater series and it has been a great motor. I have another boat with a 4 stroke motor and the gas mileage difference is considerably better.

Have you checked NADA? 2003 Bass Cat Boats CLASSIC DC Standard Equipment, Boat Value, Boat Price & Craft Specs | NADAguides

Price seems high.

I would also suggest having a reputable boat mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection unless he has all service records and you KNOW what you are looking for when you review them.

Good luck

I just see a pretty boat. What about you? What's the compression on each cylinder? When was the last time the fuel hoses and pump were checked/replaced? What's the impeller look like and when was it changed out last? How about that lower unit oil, anything bigger than a salt grain in the oil? Pee stream hot or cold? Anything hiding under that keel guard you should know about? That's where you'd crack the hull if you hit something hard like a rock in the bank, and that would be a great bandaid to hide repairs that would fall out on you later. Any insurance claims on the boat? Evidence of VERY WELL DONE fiberglass repair ANYWHERE at all?.... Hire a surveyor and treat it like its NOT yours and like you don't want it until it is yours. Boats are like strippers. They can get you REAL excited when you realize your in the position to take one home, but that can invite very bad and expensive decisions you may regret later.

Here is some advice you did not ask for :-) Don't listen to anyone that tells you not to consider a new boat. I was looking at $15k used boats when I ended up buying the boat I have now brand new. No regrets. I have a predictable monthly payment and all that money is going to my actual BOAT and not fixing broken shit all the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Honestly, BassCat and that EFI are pretty bulletproof. I would take into consideration all the things already mentioned get checked, if the seller shows any hesitation in regards to a through boat and motor inspection by a reputable source then walk. If they are 100% open to it and the inspection does reveal something then weigh the cost of the fix/repair to their asking and have them compensate accordingly. I will tell you from personal experience, BassCat's are one of the fastest, and most comfortable rides I have ever been in and I have taken a ride in just about every brand out there. If that boat and motor are in good shape that boat is a winner.

Also, to each his own, but I'll never buy another boat again without cash in hand. Boat's are worse than car's and truck's once driven off the lot for resell value. Anything propulsion is going to lose value. I'd be most concerned personally with making sure the boat has what you need, how you need it, and will it get the job done for you the way you like it(it could be a boat from 1984 or 2018), end of story.
    J-Hooked and MattATX like this.

good advice. we bought our first boat cuz she liked the color (skeeter 17ft w/yam115) and i wasnt gonna argue, lol (hey, i'm getting a boat!) however, i was eyeballing a center console just cuz it looked more fishable... a year later we go to the coast, hire a guide on a cc, got home, and traded the skeeter for the century, putting $4000 down (took a loss on skeeter, but that century will go to the coast, and is just awesome to fish from!) chris, if you wanna try a cc, be happy to take you out on bastrop during the week (altho the weather looks iffy tomorrow, and wednesday gotta babysit) so thursday or friday... hard to go wrong buying new. you'll know all the maintenance, etc, cuz you got it handled...
    MattATX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Honestly, BassCat and that EFI are pretty bulletproof. I would take into consideration all the things already mentioned get checked, if the seller shows any hesitation in regards to a through boat and motor inspection by a reputable source then walk. If they are 100% open to it and the inspection does reveal something then weigh the cost of the fix/repair to their asking and have them compensate accordingly. I will tell you from personal experience, BassCat's are one of the fastest, and most comfortable rides I have ever been in and I have taken a ride in just about every brand out there. If that boat and motor are in good shape that boat is a winner.

Also, to each his own, but I'll never buy another boat again without cash in hand. Boat's are worse than car's and truck's once driven off the lot for resell value. Anything propulsion is going to lose value. I'd be most concerned personally with making sure the boat has what you need, how you need it, and will it get the job done for you the way you like it(it could be a boat from 1984 or 2018), end of story.
    +1 on that ride. Isn't there someone on the Bassmaster Elite series that fished Travis out of a BassCat? I was fishing a point during the tournament on one of the days around mile 22 and this guy in a BassCat was getting flat out air born cornering in weekend warrior 1-2' disorganized chop. I tried to find him and look for some go pro footage he might have me on. Whoever it was he was flying back for weigh in and was the last guy back from where I was fishing.

He must have been going 70+, his Marshall looked like a ZOMBIE like this guy's around mid-video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-HB...ature=youtu.be

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattATX View Post
    +1 on that ride. Isn't there someone on the Bassmaster Elite series that fished Travis out of a BassCat? I was fishing a point during the tournament on one of the days around mile 22 and this guy in a BassCat was getting flat out air born cornering in weekend warrior 1-2' disorganized chop. I tried to find him and look for some go pro footage he might have me on. Whoever it was he was flying back for weigh in and was the last guy back from where I was fishing.

He must have been going 70+, his Marshall looked like a ZOMBIE like this guy's around mid-video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-HB...ature=youtu.be
    Gerald Spohrer was the one in contention, but Iaconelli, John Crews, Jeff Sprague, and Paul Elias are probably the most recognizable ProStaffer's.

Those boats that are that clean with that few hours are hard to find. It the motor checks out and the rest of the boat and trailer are ok, do check the tires. You can count on replacing the tires. Those boat hold up well. It is a 70MPH boat if you can drive it. If you check on Bass Cat Boats for sale you want find many Classics and they don't last long. Good lick with your purchase. Sabre1

I’m on my 7th bass boat since 1978.
    All the advice given you is solid.
    The price is high for that boat, unless it is in perfect condition.
    Repairs & parts for boats are 2-3 times that of automobiles.
    The best thing you can do is have it surveyed and have him do a compression test.
    You don’t want to be stranded on the water !

Sponsored Links