HDS-7 freaky WTF problem!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voodew

Thread: HDS-7 freaky WTF problem!

HDS-7 freaky WTF problem!

Before I call Lowrance, I'll run this problem by the experts here in Forumland.

I have two HDS-7s, Gen 1. Bow unit has transducer on TM, and is wired to the panel buss. The console unit is wired directly to the cranking battery and the TD is epoxied in the bilge. The SS-1 transducer is on the transom, with signal going to both HDS-7s.

All was well until this morning. The signal from the bilge TD went to the console HDS7 with no problem at all. However, when the BOW HDS7 was operating, in water or out, the signal from the TM 'ducer was displayed on BOTH of the HDS7s. Turn off the front unit, and the console unit reads the water correctly.

WTF?

Anyone ever experience this anomaly?
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg
    ?

Do you have Ethernet cables connecting the 2 HDS (networking)???
    If not networked together - are you using the same frequency on both units?

If not networked together and both on the same frequency and a non level trolling motor you could be getting way more than just interference if your TM transducers shooting the sonar towards the back of the boat
    If you run one on 200 and the other on 83 you should get no interference and the issue should disappear
    If you network them via Ethernet you can choose which transducer you are using and also see your structure scan on the bow

Hope that might help you out
    Fishin_Steeler likes this.

Thanks Voodew. The only thing connecting the two units is the LSS brain under the console. I'll unplug the bow unit on Monday's trip and see if that creates any change.

I made some changes after my previous trip which may have affected things. I had my TM rigged with both the Lowrance skimmer and the LSS 'ducer and all was fine. Then a shallow water mishap broke the plastic bracket on the skimmer, and I purchased a transducer protector at Tracker Marine. This is a small metal box strapped to the TM that now contains the skimmer. Because of the new attachment method, I had to move the SideScan 'ducer back to its original home on the transom.
    Last edited by Fishin_Steeler; 05-01-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

?

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

jug
    Whem you put the TM up put the bow unit in stand by mode.
    Justin Siegelerwww.basschumps.com

Just to clarify -- you say the LSS module connects the two -- thats would be via the gray cables with yellow ends? (ethernet cables)

If they are connected via ethernet -- check to see if network sonar is turned on in the sonar installation page at the top -
    If it is the you can choose which transducer the unit(S) are seeing
    That is at the bottom of the page where you adjust sensitivity

I think that is your issue -- its best to use it on network sonar - it will minimize interference from 2 transducers on the same freq at the same time

Thanks for the input, I'm headed to the lake this morning to see what's up after taking Voodew's suggestions.

?

I separated the front HDS7 Ethernet cable from the LSS-1 brain and both sonars are now working correctly and independently of each other, and the console HDS7 (connected to the skimmer in the bilge AND the SS 'ducer on the transom) is now reading the side scan correctly as well. So the practical problem has been solved.
    Thanks to Voodew for his concern in the matter.

It was pretty darn windy on the lake today. Only fished a couple hours, dragging a C-rig and a swimming jig. No peces hoy.
    Last edited by Fishin_Steeler; 05-05-2015 at 02:56 PM.

?

Sponsored Links