I need a Prop-ologist
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FearandLoathing

Thread: I need a Prop-ologist

I need a Prop-ologist

I need just a few more MPH out of my 2000 Skeeter ZX 202c with Yamaha V-Max 225 ox-66 and the prop is a 27-M 3 blade

I can get about 66 gps with two people, tournament load and fuel. Since take off is usually by number draw I'm not overly concerned with hole shot but would like to get this up 70 or so.

Any ideas about props to consider or maybe just have a little cup put into this one?

Also I don't know the accurate RPM because the tach needle jumps around and sometimes sticks, might need a new tach too. Is there such as a temporary external tach to use for a test?
    Jesus fed 5000 people with only five loaves and . . . 2 Fish

You should be running that rig comfortably 70+ with the right setup. Call Mark Croxton.....317-398-9294. Mark is probably one of the best set up and prop guys in the country. need to know your prop to pad, jack plate size and rpms.....if you don't have 1 of those three important pieces of info it will drastically effect your ability to increase top end. I would start by fixing tach, adding an 8 inch jack plate and then call Mark.

Thanks for the tip. I have a 12" Slidemaster Jack Plate, I'll measure the Prop to pad and see about the Tach fix. I think you are right about how fast it should run because I'm really impressed at how smooth it is at 66, just a few more MPH should not be that difficult.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    The x dimension or center of prop shaft height to running pad is a good start. Measure where the motor is and then raise it a click or 2 and the run the boat. Only change 1 thing at a time so you don't get lost as to what is working and what is not. Air quality or air density will change performance 10 or 15 % so do your testing on similar days. You can also add a ride plate to the bottom of the jack plate to divert water down and keep it from piling in the jack plate creating drag. Prop tuning can add top end but normally reduces hole shot. You can also try different props and pitches to determine what your boat likes best. Moving the weight around in the boat can also help. Put a level on the deck with your normal load and see if the boat list to one side or the other and adjust accordingly. When the boat is up and running on the pad it will be easier to drive with the load distributed evenly. Removing un needed gear thus reducing total weight will provide some performance gains as well.

Most performance bass rigs run 3 to 4 in. below the pad because of gear case and prop limitations. High perf. gear case's and props are made to surface pierce thus reducing drag. My Bullet runs 1.5 in. above pad .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bassectomy likes this.

I Have a 12" slide master Jack Plate.

I've measured Prop to Pad and center of shaft is 4" below pad. I made the pad level and measured 14.5" to the ground then I made the Cavitation plate level and center of shaft was 10.5" to the ground. I'll run the boat again to verify how the tach works and fix it if I have to.

Props= JT Nettles at Nettles props!

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fish View Post
    I Have a 12" slide master Jack Plate.

I've measured Prop to Pad and center of shaft is 4" below pad. I made the pad level and measured 14.5" to the ground then I made the Cavitation plate level and center of shaft was 10.5" to the ground. I'll run the boat again to verify how the tach works and fix it if I have to.
    You will gain some top end by raising the motor. 4 in below is pretty deep. Try bringing it up .5 in. and run it but watch your water pressure. You can also add 2 in. set back blocks on your jack plate and move the motor back an additional 2 in. which always helps get some more of the boat out of the water. Less wetted surface = less drag. We have the blocks on the shelf.

Sponsored Links