Motor, Ride, Speed, and Gas Mileage
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Motor, Ride, Speed, and Gas Mileage

Motor, Ride, Speed, and Gas Mileage

Just curious to see what everyone is running and what kind of ride, speed (GPS), and gas mileage you get with your boat and motor combo. I'm looking at upgrading my boat next year and curious to see which set up delivers the best of all features. I'm sure Jack plate, prop pitch etc. can change things, but I'm just looking to get a general idea. I'm currently running a 60HP mercury 4-stroke on a 17'7" aluminum tracker. 7 MPG WOT @ 5800 RPM top speed 34MPH GPS. Stock prop no jack plate.

Thanks,
    G
    President - Integrated Solar & Power
    http://www.IntegratedSolar.us
    PB 11.87

I am running a 2004 Bass Cat Pantera Classic with a 2004 Mercury EFI 200 HP motor. Max speed with just me is around 72 mph. Tournament load with two people is around 67 mph. I would hate to speculate gas mileage, but I can say that back when I first got the boat and worked downtown, I would regularly get up early and go put in at Walsh, run all the way up to the LWC going WOT, and then go WOT all the way back to Walsh (44 miles round trip) and then go fish Bastrop the next day and I would burn less than 10 gallons of gas. For most Wedsnesday nighters, I put anywhere from 6-8 gallons in the tank depending on who I am fishing with and what part of the lake I am fishing. My boat is fast, but doesn't have much of a keel. It can get a little rough in the wakes if you take it too fast and/or don't have it trimmed down enough to somewhat cut through them.

That said, the boat is perfect for my needs. It is not huge, but it is plenty fast and big enough to fish any lake and just about any weather conditions.
    GrantGoodner likes this.
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuWtY_LX6qnPWXHueRC-hQ

I have a 2001 Ranger with a 200 Yamaha HPDI. Not quite sure on the fuel mileage but I put 5 gallons in it yesterday and fished all day, so I guess that's pretty good. I finally opened it up yesterday after the rebuild and hit 67mph by myself. If you're really serious about buying a new boat, I would definitely suggest a four stroke. That 2 stroke HPDI loves its oil.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

no idea about gas mileage, but I'm running a 70HP evinrude 2 stroke on a 16' LUND Mr Pike deep V. tops out at about 33-34mph (probably less with my fat ass in it). the old girl eats waves really well. i love it. I'm happy enough with the speed. My back is too effed up to go much faster
    GrantGoodner and OT_Ray like this.

You're going to see about half of what you are currently getting.

I pulled this from another site which has come up a bunch of times on BBC. The Mercury ProXS and Yamaha SHO get about the same mileage, although you do not have to buy oil for the SHO. Once you start getting to these big motors, $28 for a gallon of Mercury DFI oil starts adding up

From Boattest.com:
    "We tested the Mercury 250 OptiMax Pro XS on a Ranger Z521 tournament bass boat with an empty weight of 1900 lbs. (861.8k g). With full fuel, two people and the 505 lb. (229 kg) engine, we had a test weight of 2,969 lbs. (1,347 kg).With the 250 Pro XS turning a 14 x 25 three blade stainless steel Fury propeller with 12 mm vent plugs we reached a top speed at 5800 rpm of 75.1 mph. At that speed the 250 Pro XS was burning 22.8 gallons per hour giving the Z521 a range of 71 miles."

RO, GrantGoodner and Waylon Papst like this.
    Thursday Nighters
    TIME: 6:30pm - 10:00pm
    ENTRY: $40/team
    www.thursdaynighters.com

I am curious about this as well. Looking at Triton and Skeeter most myself. 200 HP motors is what I have been looking at.
    GrantGoodner likes this.

Triton will be faster and get better mileage. Skeeter will be 3-5 miles per hour slower but a plus with the skeeter is you don't have to "drive"them. Tritons chine walk at top speed. Tritons eat big waves better than skeeters with the hull design. But skeeters drive themselvespractically. I like both boats for different reasons. Skeeter drafts less water since it has a flat bottom. Great for fishing shallow, I can't get some places in my boat or my dad's but in my buddies skeeter it is no problem.
    WTF Weekly Tournament Fishing Sunday Morning Tournament
    Every Sunday 6:00am to 1pm.

All legal black bass allowed:largemouth/smallmouth=14+, spot/guad=ANY SIZE
    $40 entry, Big Bass Included

http://wtfishing.com/

I don't know the mileage I get in my boat but I do know it sips gas. I can drive 65 and I am running 4500 rpm. These numbers are with a bravo 28 pitch. Top speed with that prop is 84.
    2 more miles an hour gain with a 29 tempest but mid range drops, 65mph at 5000 rpm.
    So I would find a speed demon that has prop tested each rig.
    GrantGoodner likes this.
    WTF Weekly Tournament Fishing Sunday Morning Tournament
    Every Sunday 6:00am to 1pm.

All legal black bass allowed:largemouth/smallmouth=14+, spot/guad=ANY SIZE
    $40 entry, Big Bass Included

http://wtfishing.com/

We've been fortunate to run several boats since starting TTZ.

2008 - Bullet 20XD/Merc 225XS
    2009-2011 - Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS
    2012 - Nitro Z8/Merc 225 Pro XS
    2013-Present - Skeeter ZX20/Yamaha 250 SHO, FX20 & 21/Yamaha 250 SHO

Never really paid attention to gas mileage as it really depends on how you drive your boat but will say I recall filling up the Bullet/Merc 225XS a lot more than any of the other boats, but then again we fished Travis back in those days and were always running it 82-86 mph from Mansfield to the split. As Shawn mentioned I think most newer motors get similar gas mileage.

I think the Merc Pro XS is a little quicker top end but the Yamaha SHO definitely has the mid range power and isn't too shabby on the top end either. I was seeing 73-74 @ 5850-5900 RPM in the FX20 and 70-72 @ 5900-6000 RPM in the FX21, both numbers with two people, full livewells/gas tanks and tournament load. The Yamaha SHO is typically a little more expensive than the Merc Pro XS, but BUYING OIL SUCKS! Will you recoup the difference in price with the savings in oil? Just depends on how long you own the boat and how often you fish.

I would definitely suggest getting a Yamaha SHO motor in any boat you buy. You can go online and pull up all kinds of spec sheets for both motors, but what those sheets don't tell you is the SHO is defintely much quieter and quite honestly more aggressive/better looking. Next time you are under 360 take a look at a ProXS cowling and then look at the SHO. As mentioned we've run several boats and motors, but since running the Yamaha SHO the last two years I have definitely seen a dramatic increase from the number of people approaching me and asking how big that motor is and how fast the boat goes.

Grant, if you are fishing this evening I'll throw you my keys and you can take the FX out for a spin, see for yourself what that SHO can do.
    Last edited by Andy Nuyen; 10-15-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    GrantGoodner and austinjohn like this.

Grant. I just got a 2013 Sabre FTD last year form Rockwall Marine long drive but well worth it. It has a 175 Mercury PRO XS. I had a Mercury 150 on a Champion 181. The performance of the 175 as for as gas mileage is outstanding. You can really tell a difference. I like to run as hard as I can do safely. Had to fit the boat in the garage because of HOA. I think that the new motors preform much better that the older motors. Looking back I would have gotten the perfect rig with a Pantera II with a 200 on it. I am very pleased with my Sabre FTD but the need for speed is always there. I think if you are looking to buy a $30K or more boat the price of gas should not be a problem. I do not get to fish as much as I would like because of family health problems, but hope to get out more this fall. Not a lot of Cat running around Lake Austin, If you see a Sabre FTD it will probably be me. Say Hi.

Good luck with you boat purchase. Just be sure to get what you want.
    GrantGoodner likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links