2 Questions about motor oill and battery charging....
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RO

Thread: 2 Questions about motor oill and battery charging....

Spicewood on Colorado Arm of Lake Travis as of March 2017

2 Questions about motor oill and battery charging....

1st Question - I have a 115 HP Mercury Optimax two stroke on my 2006 Nitro 482 bass boat. What oil is recommended and where is the best place to buy it? Do I put Stabil in the gas with each fill-up or what is recommended?

I have a battery maintaiiner that is mounted on the front center compartment side wall for the trolling motor. I fished all from 6AM to 2PM on Friday, then yesterday plugged in the battery maintainer yesterday from 11AM til 8PM last night (9 hrs). Today we fished from 6AM til noon and after noon the trolling motor was out of juice and slowly went to nothing.

I can not leave the boat connected to power/extension cord at the place where I store my boat, so have to bring the boat home and charge over night when going fishing the next day.

2nd Question -

What do you recommend for the best way to charge my battery so it will last the entire day? The battery is a brand new Interstate battery. Would it be better to hook up an actual battery charger to the battery directly instead of using the battery maintainer that is installed since I can't leave it plugged in?

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable boat owners out there that can give me the best advice and I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

RO
    Regarding batteries, it is best to recharge them immediately after use and store batteries in a fully charged state. This will maximize battery life. Waiting to charge the battery until just before the next trip will minimize battery life.

Some folks use stabil or some additive all the time. Can't hurt the fuel or engine. We use the boats every week, sometimes 3-4 days of the week, and have never used an additive. I've never suffered an engine or fuel line failure due to lack of additive. I do have fuel/water separator filters on all boats and change them every year.

Interested to hear other thoughts...
    Last edited by RO; 10-21-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Fish Finder likes this.

Maintenance is paramount. RO is spot on about charging the battery as soon as possible when your off the water. I recommend a good onboard charger because it will pay for itself over time. I started running a NOCO charger a little over a year ago and have been extremely pleased.
    http://www.austinbassfishing.com/forum/boats-motors/33654-board-chargers.html

And I run a Merc and I use only Quicksilver Oil and QuickKleen Additives in every tank of fuel. I like to treat every tank with additive and haven't had any ethanol related issues to speak of so I can assume it's working like it should. My old Merc has a bunch of hours and outside of a few routine parts/repairs, it has been great
    "Shit is not like it once was"- AggieGreg

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

RO is right on in regards to the batteries. I begin recharging mine as soon as I pull up to the house after fishing. Usually by the next morning they are recharged. If you are dropping the boat off at your storage after a long day of use on the trolling motor, you are definitely affecting the longevity of the batteries.

As for oil, ask Gary Pender. My 2010 Opti uses the synthetic DFI (brown) oil, per Gary. He will refill the original containers @ bulk pricing. I use the Mercury Quickkleen (sp?) he recommends, and only use the Mercury Quickstore (sp?) when it is gonna sit for a while. God forbid that ever happens...

Thanks for the info...Yeah, Gary had told me what oil and additive to use, but I was overwhelmed at the time with all the information I was trying to adsorb, having just bought my first bass boat. I appreciate the advice and suggestions, and look forward to any other feedback.
    I definitely will start charging the battery back up to full charge completely before putting it into storage. Might see if would be possible to plug in to an outlet at the storage facility for 24 hrs when I bring the boat back.

Dez
    Do you know what your battery tender is rated at? Your average deep cycle battery is rated at about 100 amp hours. If your charger is rated for 5 amps it will take about 20 hours to charge it from dead. 10amps would take 10 hours. Most guys that fish multiple days in a row need at least 10 amps to keep up over night. I don't use stabil or other ethanol fuel treatments because the boat rarely sits for more than a week. I always put a little Marvel Mystery oil in to keep carbon under control.

Again, thanks guys for the great advice!!! Sure need to leave the trolling motor hooked up to power 24/7 so it is ready to go when I am...cost me almost another $100 per month for covered with electricity over what I am paying now!!!

Dez
    Or buy a 15amp 2 bank charger and she'll be good to go in 6 hours

Ethanol treatment for engines built since 2010 is more important now that ever. We MAY have up to 15% ethanol in our motor fuel now. That stuff will dissolve all the seals in older engines and even go after some material in newer engines that assumed we would not have more than 10%. I use Stabil ethanol treatment every tank at the long term storage rate, 1 oz per 5 gals. I have a Yamaha so I use ring free as well at the recommended rate of 1 oz per 10 gal. Maybe I am just paranoid or would rather fish than replace seals and gaskets on outboard motors. No way for me to ever know.

It's already been covered that the battery should be top-offed before storing. For extra info, the cause of this is the battery will start to sulfate as it loses charge. If you let it get to too low of a state of charge, it will start to sulfate beyond recovery which reduces the capacity of the battery. Meaning next time, even if you top off the battery, it will not last as long as before. Obviously, it only gets less reversible (by simple chargers) the longer it stays in that state.

One thing people may not always realize is, it is important to exercise a lead acid battery somewhat regularly. Meaning, allow it to discharge down to lower levels (on 12V batts usually around 10.5V or so, but that depends on the specific battery design). This allows the battery to exercise that valuable range of voltage in which it outputs the necessary voltage for your electronics. What you're really doing here is allowing the chemical reaction to occur back and forth with charge and discharge to convert the gas and acid and breakdown while breaking down sulfation may have formed on the plates.

Depending on ambient temp, if you top off the battery it should self dissipate voltage pretty slowly (the hotter the faster). I wouldn't worry about it sitting for a month or so without being topped off in the summer, and probably longer in the winter or cooler months. - As long as it was topped off fully before being stored. Also all depends on the health of the battery.

Sorry if that's TMI. Battery nerd over here, I work with them for a living.

Sponsored Links