New Boater Tips? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: New Boater Tips?

JT
    You probably know this already, but use a good marine fuel stabilizer every time you fill up. The ethanol in today's gas breaks down quickly and can wreak havoc with your fuel system and motor.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I have an extra key to the boat in the truck glove box and I always remove the keys to the boat when I'm tieing it down before towing home. Why you ask? Well I'll tell ya why. I have,and still do have, a big floaty on the boat keys like a lot of us do, and I never used to take it out of the ignition until one day when I got to the lake and the keys weren't there, I found some of them on the floor and the floaty with the ign.key was wrapped around the stealing cable next to the engine.All I could think is that the wind whipping around back there must have pulled it out and almost lost um. Never have used the one in the truck but I know it's there!

Put the boat plug on your key chain
    DesertWitch and Dez like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by poacher View Post
    I have an extra key to the boat in the truck glove box and I always remove the keys to the boat when I'm tieing it down before towing home. Why you ask? Well I'll tell ya why. I have,and still do have, a big floaty on the boat keys like a lot of us do, and I never used to take it out of the ignition until one day when I got to the lake and the keys weren't there, I found some of them on the floor and the floaty with the ign.key was wrapped around the stealing cable next to the engine.All I could think is that the wind whipping around back there must have pulled it out and almost lost um. Never have used the one in the truck but I know it's there!
    Had similar incident happen to me as well. Now they go in the pocket when I leave the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishless-N-Austin View Post
    Watch out for others, there are no brakes on boats. Use common sense in foggy/compromised weather.
    Had a guy at Choke runnin wide open one morning ,it so foggy you could only see about 50' we were close to south shore ramp ,he was WOT haulin ass I final waved him down with a maglite,he just knew he was in Owl creek.He would not belive there was an island and standing timber between south shore & Callhan, tuned around hauled ass again.
    IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, STAND IN FRONT THEM. PROUD ARMY DAD & UNCLE

What this country needs is a department of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    You probably know this already, but use a good marine fuel stabilizer every time you fill up. The ethanol in today's gas breaks down quickly and can wreak havoc with your fuel system and motor.
    Good tip! We use Sta-Bil in the boat, lawnmower, weed-eater and other things. We also use an ethanol treatment every few fill-ups.

Check grease level in the muffler bearings at least twice a year.
    Say what now?
    J-Hooked and BrandonA like this.

Watch out for others, there are no brakes on boats. Use common sense in foggy/compromised weather.
    That's a damn good tip that can end up saving your bacon (and boat). We don't chance it in the fog. First time we hit major fog on the water was last year out on Bastrop and I was too chicken to head across the lake. We could hear motors at full throttle so we knew some boats were running wide open but I didn't want to risk it. Turned out well because we found some seriously sweet spots trolling out from the North Shore ramp that day and sticking close to shore. We still hit those same spots coming back in every trip and they always produce good numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by RO View Post
    Deep cycle batteries last a lot longer if stored in the fully charged state. So always hook up the charger and recharge fully as soon as you get back from fishing. Don't wait to charge the batteries until the night before your next trip or your battery life will be truncated severely. May seem obvious, but a buddy was telling me it was news to him until recently.
    I'll take that one step further and suggest investing in an onboard charger if you don't already have one, and storing the boat somewhere you can leave it plugged in. Best money I ever spent.

Strip down the boat and secure all objects for highway towing. I remove tackle boxes, ice chests (if loaded) and totes.

Back when I had a smaller truck, I would stow some totes and stuff in the boat for extra space. Two problems with that:
    1. Extra weight and heat on the trailer tires we all know and love.
    2. The airflow at highway speeds can easily blow totes out of the boat. I know this from experience.
    DesertWitch and BrandonA like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links