Mercury low rpm/ idle issue
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Mercury low rpm/ idle issue

Been having a little issue merc 2000, 40hp, 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, 1 carb. It has to be isolated to the carb somewhere. Though I had it solved just replaced all gaskets and cleaned carb well reassembled everything fired up and ran fine at High and low Rpms in drive way with muffs on. Head to the lake get the boat off the trailer everything idles and runs fine. Go wot about a mile down the lake a slow down to scoop a loose 2x6 floating before someone hits it. Boat sputters and stalls. Won't turn over but it will crank. Troll around and fish for awhile then go to start and it turns over idles kind of rough almost like it wants to die again then I hammer it and it runs great at higher Rpms. Pulling back up to the ramp I start slowing down and sure enough starts sputtering. I just shut it down at this point and troll to ramp. It is almost like it is flooding out at low Rpms, any suggestions. May just need simple adjustments to idle or air fuel screw. Tried some minor adjustments at the dock, but no noticeable difference. Merc Man, I called about getting the boat to you this week, never heard back.

Supporting Vendor
    Pm sent

FearandLoathing, could you possibly send me the same pm you sent REdwards? The last time out I was beginning
    to experience the same symptoms with my 2001 Mercury Tracker, 75 hp. I didn't know if I should blame it on the
    ethanol, age or just where to begin.
    Thanks in advance

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Anyone have a solution for this they can share? This is the same motor I have and I'm working on the carb right now.

RO
    Possible compromised fuel pump diaphagm or leak in fuel line. Either of the pros above, Jim or Gary should be able to diagnose it pronto. Good luck. Let us know what it was.

Thanks so much for the information Jim, I will send you a pm in the morning.

need an answer to this please

Quote Originally Posted by REdwards View Post
    Been having a little issue merc 2000, 40hp, 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, 1 carb. It has to be isolated to the carb somewhere. Though I had it solved just replaced all gaskets and cleaned carb well reassembled everything fired up and ran fine at High and low Rpms in drive way with muffs on. Head to the lake get the boat off the trailer everything idles and runs fine. Go wot about a mile down the lake a slow down to scoop a loose 2x6 floating before someone hits it. Boat sputters and stalls. Won't turn over but it will crank. Troll around and fish for awhile then go to start and it turns over idles kind of rough almost like it wants to die again then I hammer it and it runs great at higher Rpms. Pulling back up to the ramp I start slowing down and sure enough starts sputtering. I just shut it down at this point and troll to ramp. It is almost like it is flooding out at low Rpms, any suggestions. May just need simple adjustments to idle or air fuel screw. Tried some minor adjustments at the dock, but no noticeable difference. Merc Man, I called about getting the boat to you this week, never heard back.
    what is the answer to this question? Please give your Reply.

Sponsored Links