Lowrance HDS-7/LMS520C Question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Lowrance HDS-7/LMS520C Question

Lowrance HDS-7/LMS520C Question

Thinking about upgrading to a HDS-7 with LSS and was wondering if I can keep the transducer that came with the 520C. I think it has the blue connector and is mounted through hull. Specs say it is a 200khz transducer. Would save me some wiring. Would I lose anything in performance?

Does the HDS use the LSS long transducer for the side imaging as well as the down imaging?

I also have the Navionics Gold and can I use it on the HDS?

Where is the best place to get a good deal on one of these?

TIA!

"To be is to do" - Socrates "To do is to be" - Jean Paul Sartre "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

cudakilla.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cudakilla View Post
    Thinking about upgrading to a HDS-7 with LSS and was wondering if I can keep the transducer that came with the 520C. I think it has the blue connector and is mounted through hull. Specs say it is a 200khz transducer. Would save me some wiring. Would I lose anything in performance?

Does the HDS use the LSS long transducer for the side imaging as well as the down imaging?

I also have the Navionics Gold and can I use it on the HDS?

Where is the best place to get a good deal on one of these?

TIA!
    I believe the transducer for the HDS and the 520's are different.. Not 100% sure but we just went ahead and changed ours out with the new one that came with it..Yes, the Long skinny LSS module runs both the side and down imaging. Yes the navionics gold chip will work for the HDS 7. We took ours out of our 522 and put in our new 8 and it works fine. As far as the cheapest place I would say TackleWarehouse would be your best bet. We bought ours at Cableas though. Probably could of saved a little going through TW.

I don't know the answer to any of your technical questions, but if you call or email BBG Marine and tell them you are a member of Bass Boat Central (might want to join that forum and get a user name- it is free and it is another good forum) you will get a sickly good price that they cannot advertise. I cant rememebr off the top of my head but it was something like $539 for the LSS alone. HDS 7 bundle is way ($100+) cheaper than Cabela's or Bass Pro or TW.... or at least it was the last time I checked.

Also BBG Marine and TW are out of state so no sales tax, which is nice!
    Cudakilla likes this.
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuWtY_LX6qnPWXHueRC-hQ

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

If I use the Navionics Gold, can I just get the base model without charts? Wow you guys are fast in replying! I checked out BOE as I have bought from them before and their price for the LSS when added to cart is $520.08. And the HDS-7 w/LSS and US Maps is $1349.

Anyone have the BBG url? I think they got hacked..I went to bbgmarine.com and cannot get through.
    Last edited by Cudakilla; 01-09-2012 at 05:32 PM.

"To be is to do" - Socrates "To do is to be" - Jean Paul Sartre "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

cudakilla.com

In my boat I used the 'ducer AND power cable from the previously mounted 520C in my console HDS7 and it works perfectly. If the cables have the blue connectors, they work on the HDS7. I have an HDS7 on the bow also, and I used the new supplied cables/'ducer to mount the front sonar.

The 2nd generation HDS's are coming out now and I bet the first versions will be discounted heavily. Last year I bought my first HDS7 at South Austin Marine, because I'm a regular there and they give me good deals. And they were only $50 higher than Cabela's, so I decided to dance with who brung me and keep the money in South Austin. The next was a factory refurbished HDS7 I found at Cabela's Bargain Cave, only had a 1-year warranty but was only 550 bucks, so I rolled the dice. So far, so good. The LSS-1 was an easy install also, with the 'ducer mounted on the transom step and the brain under the steering console.
    Cudakilla likes this.
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg
    ?

Supporting Vendor
    I've got the lss-1 in stock @ $ 559.00 for the complete kit. I'm out of the HDS-7 but can get it next day. Hds-7 gps chart plotter $1237.59 complete. The new Gen. 2 will be out soon if intrested let me know.
    Last edited by FearandLoathing; 01-10-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Addition
    Cudakilla likes this.

Thanks for the very informative answer. It does clear quite a few things up and confirms my assumptions. I will most likely get the Gen 2 unit with LSS and Insight. It is currently priced at $1349. Mount that on my console using the 520's installed power and tducer cable. Then just run a new wire for the LSS ducer to the transom.

I'll then use the power cable, tducer cable from the HDS and mount the 520 in the bow. That way I can upgrade to another HDS for the bow when I find one on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Steeler View Post
    In my boat I used the 'ducer AND power cable from the previously mounted 520C in my console HDS7 and it works perfectly. If the cables have the blue connectors, they work on the HDS7. I have an HDS7 on the bow also, and I used the new supplied cables/'ducer to mount the front sonar.

The 2nd generation HDS's are coming out now and I bet the first versions will be discounted heavily. Last year I bought my first HDS7 at South Austin Marine, because I'm a regular there and they give me good deals. And they were only $50 higher than Cabela's, so I decided to dance with who brung me and keep the money in South Austin. The next was a factory refurbished HDS7 I found at Cabela's Bargain Cave, only had a 1-year warranty but was only 550 bucks, so I rolled the dice. So far, so good. The LSS-1 was an easy install also, with the 'ducer mounted on the transom step and the brain under the steering console.

cudakilla.com

Supporting Vendor
    Just found out that the Gen. 1 HDS-7 has a 200.00 rebate on it which would cover a big portion of the LSS-1 cost. It is a insight unit not base.

I'm not really sure what your budget is but if you going to do the LSS I would suggest to save a few more bones and upgrade to the 8.. The screen is a lot bigger and the the navigation buttons on the bottom of the unit makes it much more easy to operate. I know several people that have the 7 and the thing they always talk about is how they wished they would of went to the 8 or 10. Whatever you decide the 7 is still an awesome unit.

Supporting Vendor
    Ok, this stuff is cornfusing. HDS-7 gen 2 with insight and structure scan bundle $1344.59. HDS-8 gen 2 with insight and structure scan $2144.59.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links