Prop Problem?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By senorclavo

Thread: Prop Problem?

Prop Problem?

Today I went fishing on LA. I launched at quinlan and started up the lake. Was on plane and I looked back just in time to see my rear seat almost roll off the back deck... senior moment... didn't put it on the pole. Anyway, so I yanked the throttle to idle and reached for my seat before it went off... seat saved, didn't even get wet but then...

I went to throttle up again full throttle, the boat started to take off normally out of the hole, but then the RPMs jumped and the boat quit accelerating. I thought I lost the prop or something. It was still attached and seems OK after inspection. Tried again... same thing. The boat would idle along and even go a little faster than idle, but if I put any throttle to it at all, the RPMs spool up but no acceleration. I trolled the rest of the day and idled back to the ramp.

Motor runs great. Not kicking in and out of gear as far as I can tell.

So... I'm thinking prop / hub or something therebouts. Too dark to figure it out tonight. Anybody have anything like this happen? I am perplexed.

Did I f*** it up when I went from full throttle to idle? I did not get into reverse at that time either.

Sounds like you spun your prop. If it's not a pressed hub, you should be able to switch out the hub and get it going. If it's a pressed hub, you'll need to take it to a prop shop and get it fixed.

I'll find out tomorrow if the hub is pressed in or replaceable. In case of the former, anyone know of / recommend a "prop shop" in these parts? RR/Austin. Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Nettle's will take great care of you.

prop

Jr is right nettles is the place to go they completly rebuilt mine in 4 days this last week, u might want to give them a call they r closing for christimas soon.

Nettles
    512-837-7707

Dez
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Nettle's will take great care of you.
    Yep!!

Thanks for the suggestion guys... seems like Nettles has glowing reviews. Much appreciated. I will call them Monday. Thanks again!

[+1
    QUOTE=Dez;188322]Yep!![/QUOTE]
    A hot bite=> and a cold Lone Star......Nothing better!

Went to Nettles today to see about the prop... took the guy at the counter about 3 seconds to pop out the rubber hub assembly and confirm it was bad. Took him another 20s to find the replacement and about 10 to fit it back in... all for about $22... I would say, that is outstanding service! While I was there I sprung for a replacement aluminum prop for dire times, a nut, pin, and wrench to leave in the boat. Can't say enough about these guys at Nettles and thanks to you guys for turning me on to them. MUCH APPRECIATED crew!

@Mobilemercman (forgot your name... sorry)
    Thanks for the answer, I was wondering about how the damage happened. The boat is used and I have only had it a little while. There are some slight dings on the prop that I am fairly certain I didn't put in it, and at least one I did put in it fartin' around too far back up bull creek off LA, so that might be what did it in. The guys at Nettles said the Apollo XHS SS had a bad hub design originally if I recall what they say correctly. They gave me a different version that they say is better. Sounds like they know their stuff!

Can't get back out on the Lake now!!!
    Craig C likes this.

Administrator
    Congrats, glad they took good care of you. Smart move on the extra prop, you never know when things like that can save you from being stranded for hours.

Sponsored Links