Fayette trip, May 25... on second thought, it could have been worse
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Fayette trip, May 25... on second thought, it could have been worse

Had such a good day on Lake Austin last Tuesday, Lance says "let's go to Fayette tomorrow!" I wholeheartedly agree, so we each get up at 3am on Wednesday and meet at Catfish Parlor at 4:30.

By 5:30, we're about 3 miles east of Smithville on 71, when Lance says "say, isn't that your tire that just passed us?" I looked back and agreed, saying "that explains the trail of sparks I'm leaving on the highway."

I pull off onto the shoulder, right over the Shipp Lake bridge. I turned to Lance and said, calmly "uh... you might disagree, but I believe the fishing trip's over."

I had the wheel bearings packed not more than 6 months ago, so this wasn't supposed to happen. BTW, it wasn't just the driver's side tire. The entire wheel came off the trailer and I was dragging either the leaf spring, the axle, or both. So I call AAA, and an hour later Kevin from the wrecker service comes with the flat bed to haul my single-wheel trailer onto the truck. Trust me, an EZ-Loader trailer with only one wheel doesn't roll for sh!t onto a wrecker, so the trailer jack had to be sacrificed as well, getting bent to sh!t during the winch job.

We spent some time looking for the wheel/tire, but it was still dark and so 'twas impossible to find and we think it rolled into the lake anyway.

Forty-five minutes later and the trailer/Skeeter has been hauled to Spillar Hitches on S.Congress, since they pretty much do all my trailer and hitch repairs. Thankfully, the boat emerged unscathed from the episode.

How could it have been worse? The tire could have come off the SUV, and then I'd have to have TWO vehicles hauled back to Austin.

If any of y'all find a Marathon R75/14 tire on a chrome 14" wheel somewhere east of Smithville, send me an email, would ya?
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg
    ?

RO
    Bummer Herb! Hate to hear that kind of story. Glad the boat was unscathed.

Tough break. i always worry when I make long trips. I use bearing buddies and try to keep them topped up with grease and so far so good. But you gotta wonder.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Dez
    Hard to imagine how that happens Herb! Did Spillar do the bearing pack? Did they somehow forget to replace the cotter pin after installing the nut? Did the bearings just come apart? I hear this happening pretty often but can't figure why. I have bearing buddies on mine and give them a shot or 2 after a couple trips to the lake. Inspect them yearly and repack em then. I just can't figue what the heck happens that you lose the whole wheel at speed. Sorry to hear this report man but it definately could have been worse!

Dez
    I find it hard to believe myself, since the wheel, hub, and backing plate all came off. I guess the bearings just disintegrated. Anyway, I wound up with just an axle. My local garage, Davis Automotive... always expert and conscientious in repairing my vehicles... did the wheel bearings last summer. Anyway, I'm off to Spillar this morning to retrieve some stuff* I left in the boat, and I'll discuss the plan with Kevin down there.

*(No, I didn't leave a small fortune in Curados, Caras, Lowriders, Kistlers, and a ton of baits in the boat. They all came out that morning. This is other stuff less prone to growing legs and walking off with assistance of strangers.)
    Son, we live in a world with lakes, and those lakes have to be guarded by men with fishing rods.

?

Dez
    Wow! I'd like to see what the races look like. Seems more likly the nut came off but you never know.

I have used Davis for a few years for minor stuff, but they have dropped the ball last 2 times I was there. I had the Yota aligned and knew right away they didn't get it right. Took it back and tried to tell the "mechanic" what I noticed was wrong, but he could hardly speak english. That pissed me off so they put another dude on it and they got it right that time. I then sent them $600 worth of new Yokahamas to be mounted and balanced. They were mounted but anything above 50 mph and the truck felt like it might tear itself apart. Took it back and guess what, the dude who screwed up my shit spoke no english at all! I watched them balance them again, it took 3 guys and an hour to get it right. You get what you pay for with cheap illegal labor... I will go back for inspections from here on, nothing else!! I would be down there with my bill in hand.

Update! Kudos to Spillar

Thanks to Kevin down there at Spillar Custom Hitches. I like those folks, they're old Austin people.

Turns out the axle was OK, and the dragging damage (to what was left on the trailer ), was the U-bolt holding on the leaf springs. Saved me a few bucks. So I had new hubs, bearings, and Bearing Buddies put on both wheels. They also straightened out some whiskey dents on the fenders and running board. And they replaced the trailer jack, which got torqued to dogsh!t when loading, with a new Fulton.

Okay, I can fish again. Cool running.

Until the next time.

So far.

?

Sponsored Links