Boat trailering problem
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boat trailering problem

I just purchased a 97 Nitro Savage 896, when I go to put the boat on the trailer the nose of the boat won't get up over the roller on the the trailer.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how do you fix it?

Super Moderator

Re: Boat trailering problem

Lance,

I'm going assume that when you bought the package that the boat and trailer were already properly matched and bow rested on the roller as normally expected. *If that is the case then it sounds like you are backing the trailer too far in the water for landing operations. *Since the trailer is buried too deep in the water the boat may be "floating" in just above the bunks and not making solid contact with the bunks. *This causes the angle of attack to be parallel and level with the surface of the lake causing the boat to nose in just below the roller. *Try pulling your trailer out of the water a little more. *This will allow the hull will make solid contact and come to rest completely on the bunks which in turn causes the angle of attack of the boat to be parallel with the trailer (angled upward) instead of the lake surface (angled straight) allowing the bow of the boat clear the roller. *

Once you find the sweet spot of how deep to back in your trailer make a mental note of the water level on a tire or on the wheel well. *Using the refence point of the water level on your tralier will help you drop it to the right depth everytime.

Also try it out on ramps with different gradiants. *For example, the moderate grade at 360 versus the steep grade at Quinlan.

Rude's advice is right on. *Another, less likely possibility, is that the front roller support has slid forward on the trailerover time. *Check the trailer to see if you can see any scraping or rust where it looks like the support has moved. *If so, with the boat off the trailer, simply loosen the bolts and align properly and tighten.

Scott

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, I have put it on the trailer at Gtown and decker. Not sure I'll be fishing decker with this boat anytime soon again. I hate that ramp. When I go back out sunday I'll play with it some to find that sweet spot.

I have a new Nitro 898 and have the same problem. This is the hardest boat to load Ive ever had. Yungs advice is right on, dont back trlr in to far.

Thanks Russell, maybe yoiu and I could hook up for an afternoon trip and you can show me a few things. Ive had lots of boats in the past, nut never one this big.

You may already be doing this but you may trim your motor up a little right before you drive it on the trailer. This wil cause the nose to lift as you drive it on.

NitroLance, Rude is right on. When I first got my boat I would fight it every time I loaded it, one day while loading it there was a couple loading there Nitro at the same time. They said the trailer has to be in the water just right or it will go under the roller or to high and not load.
    If you have a single axel trailer like mine, put about 3/4 of the bunks in the water (first go back far enough to wet all the bunks and it will help it slide on), that should be when the water is just covering the front crome part of the fender that stick out. When you get it, It loads really easy.
    If I can help further let me know,
    Emmett
    96 18.5\' Nitro F&S

Thaks to all who have replied, I will try that in the morning at the sat tourney.

Thats why I love this forum, everyone is always more than willing to help.

Put the boat in this morning, and fished with the_bass_man. Went to put the boat on the trailer, sunk the trailer to get the skids wet, pulled back up, found my sweet spot on the trailer and went right on.

You guys are great.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links