Yamaha 200 HPDI Tear Down
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Yamaha 200 HPDI Tear Down

Two weeks ago on Lake Austin I was enjoying a beautiful morning of mid-week fishing. *Enroute to my 2nd hole of the morning I was running up lake and decided to punch it up to WOT (wide open throttle) for around 30 sec and then backed off to mid-throttle. *As I backed off I noticed the motor had a an unfamiliar sound to it and the motor wanted to die as I slowed. *It was unclear to me want the problem was on the water since the motor would run OK at idle and wasn't knocking. *The motor was vibrating more than usual and sounded like it had a dead cyliner. *My initial thought was a fouled plug. *I slowly made my way to the ramp and came on home. *When changing out the spark plugs I did a compression test on each cylinder and noticed that all but one cylinder were within 5% of each other in pressure. *One cylinder (#4) had NO compression. *I finally got a chance to tear into the motor this weekend and take a look at what was going on. *Here are some pics of what I found. *My best guess is that this piston failure was caused by pre-detonation (pinging) at WOT. *All 3 cylinders showed below avg carbon build up and looked clean otherwise. *The pre-detonation at WOT caused the top of the piston to crack and the top side of the piston ring wall to break. *Fortunately the cylinder wall did not suffer much damage and should hone out nicely. *I'll post up more pics as I rebuild the motor in the coming weeks. *Thanks to all who've provided references to good area mechanics. *Special thanks to Kevin (Swimbait) and Scott Stagner for their additional referrals. *I welcome PMs from those who've rebuilt outboards. *I've only worked on car motors.

Administrator

Re: Yamaha 200 HPDI Tear Down

I applaud your bravery Rich and keep up the good pictures. It would be nice to have a step by step guide on how to rebuild the motor.

Super Moderator

Thanks, Tdub. Thus far it has been a pretty easy tear down. Took me about an hour to pull the head off. It's nice to have the motor at chest level. Sure beats working on car motors from above and below!

I plan on doing a write up of the rebuild and post pics as I go along so that it might help others in the future. I've noticed other forums have a lot of step by step writeups. It would be great to see more of those on here.

Stay tuned!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

WOW! Great pics and MAJOR Bummer! That is one knarly looking piston. I wish you luck with the rebuild.

Rich, I told you that jet fuel wasn't a good idea! Just jacking with ya. Sorry to see that, I hope you get that fixed in a timely manner. Look forward to pics.

If i ever have to tear mine down i was going to consider some performance parts from these guys http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/ maybe a phase3 kit.

Super Moderator

Dang Rich, that's pretty nasty!.

Looks like there may be more than meets the eye on this one.

Good Luck and be sure to keep in touch with my mech just in case .

Hope the manual helps.

kp
    No sig needed.....

Sorry to see the bad news Rich,

Yep I'd agree there Swimmy, *When Swimbaits motor went caputs.. *It was the top cylinders, *As I remember, Mainly because they are further away from the cooling system. *It seems odd to me that it's a middle cylinder without the top two, But I'm no mechanic!!! *When testing my motor before I bought it, he attempted to ground out my alarm system since it wasn't opening the thermostat and letting water through. *We ended up finding out that the water line wasn't connected correctly when the lower unit was reinstalled so no water was making it up to the motor, and since grounding out the alarm wasn't setting it off, we found the buzzer went out too. *Bancer's Marine was embarrassed and corrected it. *All in all, I would really try to figure out all the failure's, *I wouldn't just take it as a simple blown cylinder, me personally I would also check the alarm system, buzzer and Oil injection to that cylinder. *But again I'm no mech, just advice.. *I've had a VRO go out and couldn't believe how cheap oil injections systems are made, most out of pure plastic.. *I've since had mine uninstalled and just plain mix at fill up. *Which sucks, but a bit safer...d

Super Moderator

Glastron, I was initially thinking of adding some aftermarket go fast goodies as well. Howeve, from what I've read they've had a hard time getting much more out of the 2.6L HPDIs. Their stage kits yield more bang for the buck on the 3.1L HPDIs.

Swimbait, I'm in contact with your mech. He's been great to talk with. I sent him the pics last night as well to get his thoughts. I'll try to schedule my rebuild while he is in town so I can lean on him for guidance. He's been a great resource thus far. Your manual was also helpful for me to read before the teardown. Thanks again.

Derrel, excellent points. I'll likely just replace the injector for that cylinder and you bring up great points about grounding the t-stat buzzer and checking the water cooling lines. I didn't notice any discoloration in the water jackets around the cylinders that might indicate water levels not reaching the top cylinders. Still a possibility though. The strange thing is that I had only run the motor for less than 2 minutes enroute to my next spot when this happened. All I can figure is it was caused by pre-detonation at WOT. The knock sensors should detect that and pull timing in the ECU though. Strange...

-Rich

OOOOO I had a phase 2 200 2.6 back in '96, when they were still carb motors. It was AWESOME! Amazing throttle response, and blistering top end. I had it on a 19' Champ and it would do 77. The only thing back in '96 that could stay with me was a 20' Gambler with the 225 EFI Merc. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Yeah, I don't know how much gain they get out of those first HPDI's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links