200 HPDI Yamaha Rebuild a SUCCESS!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 200 HPDI Yamaha Rebuild a SUCCESS!

Super Moderator

200 HPDI Yamaha Rebuild a SUCCESS!

My #4 cylinder blew a hole in the top of my piston on Lake Austin back in Sept. *See original post with pics in this section. *After several months of turning wrenches on weekends and traveling around the world on business I was finally able to set out on Lake Austin today for the (re)maiden voyage. *I did 3 hrs of break-in on the new piston running it at varied speeds from 1500 rpm, to 3000 rpm, and then to 3/4 throttle in 1 hr intervals. *I happy to report she ran GREAT and never missed a beat the whole time out. All of the dash gauges reported everything running as expected. *My laptop confirmed all systems were running fine as well using the Yamaha diagnostic tool connected to the ECU on the motor and the USB port on my laptop.
    What a relief! *I'm proud to have this project under my belt and successful. *Now I can get back to fishing and hanging out with all the ABF crew again!

PS. *I spent less than $800 on parts including a $300 fuel injector (not a typo, $300 for one (1) injector!!). * *South Austin Marine wanted $5k+ for the rebuild or $7k for a new powerhead * *No thanks.

-Rich
    RO likes this.

Re: 200 HPDI Yamaha Rebuild a SUCCESS!

Rich, I know you didn't put that thing back together stock! Did you add some extra ponies back there?

Congratulations for a job well done. A lot of satisfaction when your able to do it yourself. Cheers!!!
    "There is only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity. If a man spent all his days fishing, life would seem to be a swift dream." Zane Grey

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

As always it's a blast teaming up with you. But it's even better to hear that you got your sled back in action.

Good job bro. See you on the water!

Super Moderator

Juke,

Haha, you know me too well! I looked hard at upgrading the TB, reeds, and exhaust when I did the rebuild. *From what I could find, these upgrades do best on the 3.1L HPDI 200. *Mine is the 2.6L which is already power optimized to deliver 200 HP. *The 3.1L 200 is "de tuned" from the factory so to speak so adding these upgrades is worth it on the top end. *I chose to go the stock route and save a few grand since I probably wouldn't see the return.

-Rich

Super Moderator

Rude & BassTrack,

Thanks guys! It was a fun project doing the rebuild. I learned a lot about outboard motors in the process.

Thanks, Rude, for the back seat during the recent HHJ Finale and FOM Open! It's always a lot of fishing fishing on Team Rude518.

-Rich

Congrats Rich!

You saved a ton of $$$$. How many hours of labor do you think you spent? Since you were so successfull, I may try rebuilding mine the next time it blows.

Chris
    poncho703 likes this.

Rich, that is impressive, congrats man!

TTZ1.COM The Source for the Competitive Tournament Angler!

Congrats Rich, glad you are back in action, look forward to seeing you on the water! JR

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 262F262A2B2B2037450
    How many hours of labor do you think you spent? *
    ~20 hrs. *Of course, I went slow since it was my first outboard rebuild. *I could probably do it in half the time next time. *Keep in mind I've spent 100's of hours turning wrenches on cars and motorcycles. *I also got some good first-timer advice from Swimbait's mechanic friend. I would not recommend this project for a casual mechanic.

yamahaoutboardparts.com has a lot of good info on their message boards and is a great parts supplier at below retail prices. *They also have good schematic drawings that you can enlarge to see the small details on the various sub assemblies.

If you're considering a rebuild, give me a call. *I'd be glad to share with you what I learned and the options I considered.

Swimbait, thanks again for letting me borrow your Clymer's manual. *I ordered one from their website and should receive it soon. *Let me know when and where and I will gladly return your manual and buy you lunch.

-Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links