Rhino Lining vs. Carpet - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Administrator

Re: Rhino Lining vs. Carpet

Quote Originally Posted by 002D3E3E35184C0
    I am also removing carpet from my CC Kenner. Yesterday I talked to a person named Casie. He is located somewhere south of Austin. His business is fiberglass repair. He told me that he can spray gel coat so it appears right from the factory. My boat is 18.5 deep hull. He will strip the carpet, prep and spray for $900-$1100. I have been reading quite a bit on this subject and no matter which product you choose, prep is the key to a good job. Casie told me that this job would take him about a week. By the way, I would chose Line-x over Rhino and LIne-x cost is about $10/foot plus prep. I will have my boat sprayed next week. At that time, I will have a good idea about the gel coat job
    * Good Luck
    I talk to Texas Boat World about Line-X in the boat (Line-X is a big sponsor of theirs and vis-versa). The guys at TBW said the problem with Line-X is they really don't have a non-skid version for the inside of the boat so its a lot slicker than some other liners.

After bringing it up with a lot of different peeps it appears, when I am ready, I will be going the same route you are and just fiberglass it. It seems like the best way to keep it clean and allow the interior to get wet(rain water, etc) without damaging anything.

I put Herculiner in my 18 ft Tracker. You can get it in Black, Gray, Red and White.

It took 1 Gallon to cover the Decks. Overall does well and is slip proof.

I wish I had used two gallons to beef it up in areas. I have a couple spots that got skinned back because of something heavy and sharp dragging across it.

Sells for around $130/Gal and you roll it on yourself.

Procrafty, how are you going to treat the compartment lids? If yours is like mine they are made of metal. can you spray gel cote on this surface? I sent for a sample of Duraback and it was a very thin. I thought it would be thicker. weight would not be a problem with this stuff. I am on the fence about using carpet or something else. Thanks for the windshield measurements also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Administrator

I got some feedback from someone that rolled Durabak on from TFF and they said if you do 2 coats that does the trick, it pretty much grabs a hold of anything you apply it too. When the time comes however, I think I might just have the fiberglass done and make sure they use water seals on the compartments. Since I store my boat outside with a vinyl cover water still finds a way to wet the carpet. Between it ruining the marine grade wood and mildew I wanted to do something that isn't tough to keep clean and could get wet all day and still wouldn't have any effects on the interior.

Dez

I replaced all the decks and panels in my boat 3 years ago and really wish i had gone coating over carpet. I take that thing to the coast often and the cleanup is a project requiring alot of water, some tide, my pressure washer and an afternoon of hell.
    I put my carpet down w/ a rubberized wood floor glue and the stuff sticks great, and gives a little added padding to the floor but I don't think anything will get that stuff off well enough to apply a coating. I do like that stuff on Ro's buddies boat and will need to replace carpet after next season so keep us posted on what you do. I'd sure like to see the results..

gotta agree with larry. My dad got his bed rhino lined, and i did mine with line x. he's already resprayed his bed 3 times (that must be why there's a liftime guarantee...) i still haven't had any problems with mine. line x is way more durable, lasts way longer, and you can get a few choices in colors depending on the dealer. as for it getting wet, i've had the bed full of mud and water, used it in our lovely recent downpours, and still have yet to slip. the texture is amazing stuff. just my 2 cents though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links