Amp hours for my battery when using a trolling motor
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Amp hours for my battery when using a trolling motor

I have a question, I have just got a 31 amp hour deep cycle battery for my 14ft Jon Boat. I mainly got it for the new Eagle Cuda 300 depth/fish finder. But I was wanting to know with this battery if I was to get a 12v / 30lb thrust trolling motor how long would the battery last on full speed and low speed? If anyone could help me with this that would be great.

Super Moderator

Re: Amp hours for my battery when using a trolling motor

fishyfish,

Typically the amp hour ratting is based on how many amps the battery will output in a 20 hour period before fulling discharging. So, your 31 amp hour battery can have a 1.55 amp load for 20 hrs before fully discharging. *

Look at the label on your battery and see what the reserve minutes are. *That rating tells you how many minutes that your battery will carry a 25 amp load. *This is an independent rating from the amp hours. *So in theory if your battery label states 1000 RC (reserve capacity or reserve minutes) then you know that you can support a 25 amp energy draw for 1000 minutes. (a higher energy draw shortens the duration while a lower one increases it)

So with all that being said you'll need to iden you'll need to identify a few variables before you can get to a approximate calculation of how long your battery will last

Whats the reserve capacity of your battery? *
    How much does the fishfinder draw?
    How much does the trolling motor draw? (this changes depending on what speed setting you use so you'll have to figure out a typical usage scenario and just go with that)

So basically it comes down to figuring out how much energy your equipment uses and how much energy your battery can provide. You can find a formula online to figure it all out once you gather the needed info.

There are all kinds of other considerations such as temperature and operating environments that affect the actual operational use of your battery. All the calculating you do will just be a rough estimate given stable conditions in absence of environmental factors.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Re: Amp hours for my battery when using a trolling motor

Nope I got all of that. *Thank you very much!!!!!! *I know that the reserve for this battery is 54 min. *So that means at 20 amps (which is the highest the trolling motor I will be getting can pull) I should be able to run it for 54 mins. *This is great that means I can hook up my depth finder and trolling motor to the same battery and it will last me at a lower thrust for a good one day fishing trip at the lakes with a full 31 amp hour charge. *Once again thank you very much for your help!!!!!!! ;D *

Sponsored Links