this trim gauge is driving me crazy!!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

this trim gauge is driving me crazy!!

so i had a trim gauge on my boat that before i bought it someone had jacked with it and the light was shining right in my eyes. so i bought one and it didnt work, kinda worked backwards. i.e. whenever i trimmed down it went up. but it was only like a quarter of an inch movement.. so i thought ok its the wrong gauge and i bought another from ebay, i needed a johnson gauge and the guy sent me a mercury ughhh since the return deal is a hassle with this guy i said ill just eat it and move along. i bought a true johnson/evinrude gauge at action marine... great guys to deal with. put it in and yup it kinda works but only moves like a quarter inch but thats it if any. so now someone tells me its the sender unit. thats a hundred bucks. am i missing something? at this point im just tired of screwing with the damn thing, but i want it to work. just afraid if i replace sender then itll be some other something... does anyone work on these that could not only determine if the sender is the problem but also put it in for me?
    "I was trying to look out for number one=> and stepped in number two!!" Rodney Dangerfield

Re: this trim gauge is driving me crazy!!

Do you still have the mercury trim gauge? Would it work for any mercury motor? Mine needs to be replaced...

yes i do still have it actually trying to sell it. it will work for any mercury. 25 bucks and its yours
    "I was trying to look out for number one=> and stepped in number two!!" Rodney Dangerfield

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Dez

Did the guage read correctly before you bought the new guage? If so then you may have a guage that's a different resistance than the old one. Is there a resistor on the guage between the bat and the send posts? if so remove it. Raise the motor up all the way and move the sending unit by hand. Does the guage move the full distance? The way that Rude/Johnson box is wired it could be an issue there too but not likley. If you can't figure it out call Bob Walden at 512 630-5952

If yours is like mine, it will only read half way at full tilt when running. Per Mercury, you can only tilt up past half way point if under "X-amount" of RPMs. Is that what yours is doing? Does the gauge show fully up when raising the motor, ie if you were in the driveway or at the ramp?

didnt see any resistors, its just 3 posts on the back, ignition ground and sender. its hooked up correctly and just doesnt do much. the original gauge was stuck so i dont know that it ever worked. when no poer is applied to the gauge i have in there now, it reads below the lowest line. when i apply poer with key on it comes up about 1/16 of an inch. when i manually move the sender it moves backwards. when i install the new johnson gauge it reads below the lowest line and when i apply poer it moves very little, when i manually move the sender it moves correctly but no more than about a quarter of an inch at either end. its still below the line regardless of what i do. if i switch the sender and ground of course the gauge pegs out on highest line... just dont wanna dump more money on a sender if thats not what it actually is

Dez

I may not understand what you mean when you say it moves correctly but 1/4 inch at both ends. Even with some adjustment some gauges will show below the down line when the motor is down, a sending unit design flaw I assume. If the gauge moves it's full sweep when you move the sending unit by hand then a little adjustment may center it and then you'll know where on the gauge all the way up or down is located. Or call Bob ..

thats just it, the needle doesnt move more than about a quarter inch at all. and its below the lowest line

Dez

Well it kinda sounds like sending unit to me. $100 ain't bad, I spent $150 for mine last year...

are they relatively easy to put on? i even thought about just splicing the wires there at the outboard and using heat shrink to make it watertight, that way i dont have to run the wires down the loom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links