Pontoon Power Problem-HELP!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Pontoon Power Problem-HELP!

While out on my uncles 2002 Bennington 20 foot pontoon boat a couple of weeks ago on Lake Buchanan, we had to get towed in...

First I noticed that there was a loud, constant peep that would come on after I started the motor (Mercury 75HP)...It would stay on for about 30 seconds and go off. I also noticed the RPM gauge did not work. However, we continued to troll for the next 2 hours. As we were headed back to dock, it was getting dark at 9pm and turned the lights on. About 10 minutes later, the engine died about 100 yards from Llano Ramp. Went to turn the key and nothing...No lights, no sound, nothing...

After getting the boat on the trailer, (That was a site to see, since I now know where the end of the ramp is..LOL) got it back to uncles. He lives near Buchanan Dam, Tx. He checked the battery, it is holding 11.89 volts and the two big fuses beside it are okay.

ANY IDEA'S??

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR OR TRY NEXT?

IF CANNOT RESOLVE, ANY RECOMMENDATION OF MARINE DEALERS IN THAT AREA? BURNET/KINGSLAND/MARBLE FALLS area?

Robert

Dez

Re: Pontoon Power Problem-HELP!

I believe the peep you hear is normal, some newer motors do that. The battery should be at 12.5 or so after trolling around for 2 hours. Anything under 12v says there may be a problem with the charging circuit, alternator or connections at the alternator or battery. I'd clean all accessable connection points and charge the battery over night at 2amps then check voltage, should be well above 12v, before going to a mechanic. If he has automotive type battery connections then take the cable out of the connector and clean and reterminate. A little CorrosionX after all the connections are good and tight helps to keep the crud down...Since the RPM guage is not working I'd check the alternator connections really closely...

I might be wrong, but that alarm is the low oil warning. Might need to purge the system by loosening the cap a little, run the engine until the reservoir fills up.

Holler at Jim. I havent seen him around in a while, but you know he will have the answer.

Is this E.B's boat?

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Is this E.B's boat?
    Yes it is...He is now officially retired. He is still recovering from shoulder surgery...and of coarse he had knee surgery...

I will be staying up at his place this weekend. I will tell him, hello from you. You need to come up one day and go fishing on Buchanan, once he gets his pontoon boat up and running..

also do a load test on the battery. sometimes a cell or two can go bad. you'll still get 12 volts on a voltmeter but when you put any type of load on it it drops quick. on a vehicle it does exactly what you are describing, it shows 12 volts but as soon as you turn the key it drops to near zero and you get nothing. just a thought.

RO

My top two suspicions would be high resistance connections (at battery terminals, esp.), and bad battery itself. Has been the boat been sitting unused for a long while, then charged up the night before to go out? If not trickle charged our periodically recharged every couple weeks, most batteries will slowly discharge. If they are left in the discharged state for a month or more, they'll never hold a good charge. But the most likely, and easiest to fix problem, would be oxidation at the battery terminal connections. This problem will often get worse with heat, after a long day of trolling for example. Thoroughly clean both the posts and the insides of the wire connectors with a wire brush terminal cleaner (Auto Zone or any parts store has'm), reconnect, recharge overnight, then try again. Good luck. Tell E.B. that Michael and Ro say HI. Will have to get him out for some striper action soon.

Sponsored Links