Travis 6-30-08  16lbs
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Travis 6-30-08  16lbs

I went back out to Travis Monday night to prove to myself that the 20 pound sack from a couple weeks ago wasn't a fluke. Great night to be out there with a calm wind and almost zero boat traffic.

I avoided all of my honey holes and fished only water that was either new to me or I hadn't fished in at least two years. Basically, that's from Lakeway to Briarcliff.

Caught fish in zero to 55 feet of water, including one very nice one that went 6.5lbs easy. Probably the best fish I've ever caught on Travis. Very much a fat football of a fish. I thought I was fishing a little too fast, so I cast out and let it fall into about 40 feet of water, set my rod down, and drank a bottle of water. After finishing the bottle, I picked up my rod and there she was. It's so cool watching a fish like that jump and crash at night!

I had a nice limit of about 12 pounds before I touched any familiar water on the way back, but I did miss one really good fish in Briarcliff. Hit my bait like a freight train as soon as it touched down. I never turned her head. Sadly, when I reeled up my line the crawdad was just wadded up in a ball with no way for the hook to penetrate.

I started working my way back and picked up a 3.5 pounder and a 2.5 pounder that helped me cull to 16lbs. I also lost one that was about 4-5 pounds at the top of the water at a well-lit dock. Saw her plain as day in the light, but she made a massive jump and threw the hook back at me.

I'll take the 16lbs any day on Travis, but I had two fish that were about 1.75lbs that would have been great to cull with those two good fish that I lost.

All in all, caught about 20 bass with 10 or 11 of them being keepers. Only two were spotties. I think it could've been a fifty fish night if I was going for numbers, but I was targeting bigger fish.

All fish caught on hand-poured tx-rig senkos and crawdads, but the senkos were best.

I just can't say enough good things about Travis this year. What used to be the rare 4 pounder is turning into regular 6 pounders, with two pounders being as frequent as 14" fish were 2 or three years ago.

Re: Travis 6-30-08 *16lbs

sounds like you had a really good night. congrats

Good report, but damn you must have drank alot of water if you had one after every cast.
    My other car is a Crown Vic

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

SOUNDS LIKE AN AWESOME NIGHT. GOOD REPORT.
    AUSTIN TEXAS BABY!!!!!!

Well done . . . I'll try your water and hand poured senko approach. Can't question the effectiveness! Were you targeting drop offs from the points or just randomly working the 40' depth line along the banks? Also what colour sanko and crawdad? Our black bass hits have fallen way off with the onset of this heat.

However, we were into White Bass off Arkansas Bend July 1 as the sun was coming up. It was surreal with the bass all around us on a boil chasing baitfish. It was over in 15 min, but we got twenty fish, limited only by the time to unhook, toss back and recast. Great fun.

Happy Fourth to you and all the readership.

Redhorse

Rgds=> RedHorse

I can't that I was specifically targeting the 40' depth line. *I caught them consistently off of brushpiles, marina cables, docks, and ledges.

All in all, they were just tight to cover and structure.

I do rely on a [glb]blacklight and fluorescent line [/glb]religiously at night to help detect bites, especially as the bait's falling.

The primary color I was using was Black w/ Blue Flake, but I was also using a handpour color that I try to make like "wilderberry". It's basically a redbug/JuneBug/BlueFleck mashup.

Do you have some Pics?

Man, you are pulling in some awesome sacks. You need to get out to the Wednesday night tourneys and win some gas $. 16-20 lbs would win out there hands down every time.

Nice report and thanks for letting us know some of the better fish are still around!

TTZ1.COM The Source for the Competitive Tournament Angler!

Thats a great catch for Lake Travis...

I will be on Lake Travis, Saturday from 6am to Noontime.

Sponsored Links