Grass Carp on a Rapala Husky Jerk -LA
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grass Carp on a Rapala Husky Jerk -LA

Grass Carp on a Rapala Husky Jerk -LA

Put my kayak in below Mansfield Dam around 6:15AM. Saw a lot of fish breaking the surface in the 7 o’clock hour. Started throwing at the end of a dock at what I thought was some bass action. I let it sit for a few seconds before giving it a couple pops. Then this big guy hit it. It was a hell of a fight. Felt like I was on the coast with a red on. It burned drag 5-6 times and took about 5min to reel in. Never thought I’d catch a grass carp on a Rapala.

https://youtu.be/Fl89u2rMeGI

Looks more like a chub, a carps mouth is more on the bottom of the jaw ans a Tilapia is silver and has a more compressed body.
    Good Fishing. God Bless. Danny.

Per this page, appears to be a grass carp

https://asiancarp.ca/ASIAN-CARPS/Con...44-common-carp

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I hope he ended up on the bank and not back in the lake!
    Last edited by harleyrockstar; 07-19-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    flykast likes this.

It is an Asian carp.

Quote Originally Posted by AHigg View Post
    Per this page, appears to be a grass carp

https://asiancarp.ca/ASIAN-CARPS/Con...44-common-carp
    No doubt that it is a triploid "grass carp" I have been catching those bastards on crankbaits since about the time they polished off the last of the reeds in front of Selma Hughes. they are fun to catch but not as much fun as Bass...
    RIP LA

I am with harleyrockstar...don't release grasscarp. It is unlawful to do so. Unless the body of water has a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit (Lake Austin does not) the fish must immediately have the head or intestines removed. (Same with tilapia btw). This is published in the TPW Outdoor Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by hankgun View Post
    I am with harleyrockstar...don't release grasscarp. It is unlawful to do so. Unless the body of water has a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit (Lake Austin does not) the fish must immediately have the head or intestines removed. (Same with tilapia btw). This is published in the TPW Outdoor Manual.
    I am not a grass carp advocate. I am very interested in Texas' game laws. I know there are laws in other states regarding the immediate killing of rough or invasive species. In Texas law, no such imperative exist.

In the state of Texas, if a fish is "caught and immediately released" it is NOT considered caught and it doesn't matter if the lake has a triploid permit of not, the angler is NOT required to kill it.

If GW (a game warden) tells me I've misread the law, I will kill the carp.

Quote Originally Posted by hankgun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I am not a grass carp advocate. I am very interested in Texas' game laws. I know there are laws in other states regarding the immediate killing of rough or invasive species. In Texas law, no such imperative exist.

In the state of Texas, if a fish is "caught and immediately released" it is NOT considered caught and it doesn't matter if the lake has a triploid permit of not, the angler is NOT required to kill it.

If GW (a game warden) tells me I've misread the law, I will kill the carp.
    From the TPWD OUTDOOR ANNUAL Hunting, Fishing and Boating Regulations

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ng-regulations

Possession of Fish Taken from Public Water

Fish caught and immediately released are not considered to be in possession. Any fish that are retained by using any type of holding device such as stringer, cooler, livewell, or bucket are considered in an angler’s possession and must adhere to established length and bag limits. While fishing, it is illegal to be in possession of more fish than the daily bag limit or fish that are within a protected length limit.
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...quatic-species

General Rules

It is unlawful to:
    • Possess or transport any exotic aquatic plant or animal listed as harmful or potentially harmful. This includes: plants such as hydrilla, water hyacinth, and giant salvinia; fishes such as tilapia and Asian carps (grass, silver, and bighead carp); and zebra mussels.
    • Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the head or intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect. In those waters, it is illegal to possess grass carp. Any grass carp caught must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. Please see our list of waters with Triploid Grass Carp Permits.
    MrTexasFreedom likes this.

Yep, carp and tilapia kill rule has been in place for quite awhile.
    Luv \'Em and Leave \'Em

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links