LPf 4/13/19 Pfish Story
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Jeremy
  • 1 Post By just plain bill
  • 3 Post By Jeremy
  • 1 Post By Jeremy

Thread: LPf 4/13/19 Pfish Story

LPf 4/13/19 Pfish Story

If you count kayak and "two-man" boat, I launched and recovered from the bed of my truck seven times last weekend. It was worth it every time. I love wetting a line. Even when I'm not thinking about bass fishing, I'm thinking about bass fishing.

I made my first launch of this weekend at 6:45 AM this morning. With an ear out for thunder, I trolled to Copperhead Cove and let the NW wind blow me down the west shoreline. I'd drift and crank for a couple hundred feet, then I'd anchor and worm for a couple of minutes. Rinse and repeat.

The water looked good and the conditions seemed favorable, but I could not get a bite. I'm not a tournament angler, so I don't need five bites. I go fishing to get "one bite". Even when I get skunked, I'm OK because I gave myself the opportunity to get one bite. I kept grinding and working my way closer to the main lake point. Its a confidence game, and i like to think i know how to get a bite.

I cast out the little Bandit and slow-rolled it over the semi-shallow grassless flat. The Bandit was struck and I felt a big head shake. I could see my line shallowing up and I knew the fish was going to broach. I lowered the rod tip and watched as the surface erupted in a green cavernous bucketmouth backed by deep body and mighty tail, at least eight pounds. The tannic lake water turned into white froth and spray as the bucketmouth yawned to and fro. The Bandit was spit a couple feet and the line fell limp on the water.

Over my laughter, I heard distant thunder. I got my one bite, so I crouched in the cockpit and made turns for the ramp. Pflugerville Animal Control was posted up at the ramp. I waved at the officer and he rolled down his window.

I said, "I'd like to report animal abuse. The bass beat me up!"

The rain was coming down hard, so I loaded up after only an hour and a half on the water. Was it worth it? For one bite? Yea, buddy!

you are insane in the membrane! lol
    Jeremy likes this.

I dropped the 'yak into the C&R around 1PM. I have a new anchor and line, so I thought I was ready for the gusty wind. Sort of...

I paddled over to a small cove, cast into the back reaches and caught a small largemouth. I eased the anchor over the side and tied off. I don't have a trolley system. I tie the anchor line to a side handle.

The wind was swirling and gusting. No kidding, riding the anchor felt just like a ride at Universal Studios Amusement Park. I caught a couple more on TR and Bandit, but then had to head in because my family had tickets to Flix Brewhouse.

Three-quarters way through the movie, the wind knocked out the power, so our meal was comped and we got free passes to come back and finish Dumbo. I don't remember how the original ends. It doesn't matter, I'm going fishing instead.
    IMG_20190413_145404183.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I dropped in around 7:30 AM. I was surprised to see a couple yaks already on the water. I started drifted and cranking. I got slammed by a big'un. The five pounder jumped twice and then pulled off at the boat. Where has my mojo gone?

I drifted up shallow and decided to throw swim-jig. First cast gets nailed, but the two plus pounder pulls off at the boat. So that's how its gonna be, huh.

I went to the south shore but the wind shifted from [email protected] to [email protected] Nothing was biting so I went back to the main lake point. I tried to drill the el-trap into the wind but a 30MPH gust overran my reel down to the spool. Y'all already know what happened next.

It took a couple minutes to clear the overrun. I put all the line back on the spool and started to pull the lure back. Yes, a three pounder ate the deadstick Rat-L-Trap. Halfway to the boat, it shook off...

Crazy day on the water. I got a couple of cutie-pies in the boat. Off at noon.
    rbdavis3591 likes this.

Lake Pflugerville is five minutes from my house. I can load the kayak and be on the water in thirty minutes or less.

Got on the lake at 4PM Saturday, was off before 8PM. Boated bass that were:

Dinks - 2

2-2.5 LB - 3

4.5 LB - 1

Not a bad day on what I call "The Mud Hole in My Backyard."

Guys, I haven't fished LPF much and just started getting back into the sport. End of March I was on my kayak fishing mostly the west and north west shore lines and did decent on jerk baits (sexy shad). Then first half of April I was away on business. Last Friday at lunch, this Monday at lunch and yesterday at lunch I threw the same jerk baits and a chartreuse spinner bait and not one single bite. What are the bass doing and where are they? Are they in full spawn and not feeding or what? Suggestions? Thinking about taking the yak out again this weekend.

Pflugerville is hard to pattern. In addition, the bite is very binary. Add to that, the recent destruction of habitat by the City of Pflugerville.

I like to fish early and late, to avoid the "midday doldrums." I run a circuit of "history", making the rounds of productive spots and grinding it out. There is a portion of the lake that I've never fished, and some areas that I may have fished one or two times and never went back.

I would suggest you look for the grass, but of course the city has poisoned the lake with herbicide. I would tell you to look for beds, but how can see them in the muddy (unfiltered by grass) water. You could always try a senko or live bait.

Was back on Pflugerville last Saturday. Got out on the water a little after 9AM and off just before 5PM. There was enough wind that I was swinging an anchor most of the day. Played around with cranks, spinners and a Carolina rig with not even a bump. About 11AM switched to a Texas rig (my go to bait on Pflugerville) and started catching fish. Ended the day boating 11 bass of various sizes. Biggest was an even 6 lbs. The bonus is this was the inaugural trip for a new worm rod and reel. Nice baptism! Think I'll keep it.

Thanks for the help Jeremy and ATX. Anything even remotely close to the convenience of catching bass outside of LPF?

Sponsored Links