Bass Fishing Forum banner

Amistad------STUMPPED!!!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  burnetbass 
#1 ·
I finally made the long trek to Amistad for the first time and to say I am disappointed is an understatement. I have a tourney coming up next month and decided to do a little practicing and to learn a little about the lake. Believe it or not, I wished I had stayed home and helped the wife paint!

I launched at Diablo East by the Hwy 90 bridge just after daylight and went up Devils river arm to fish some wind blown flats w/brush with a top water--not one bite. Threw an under-spin with a 5 inch swimbait, not one bite. Flipped a jig----1 bite--no fish!

I then went to the southeast side to get out of the 20+ MPH winds and fished bluffs, flats, rock, grass, trees, you name it with only 1 bite (2 lb fish) with a 4 inch floating worm on a shakey-head.

I then hit the rip-rap at the hwy 90 bridge and a few main lake points with a crankbait, and everything else I could think of and not one bite.

Folks 1 fish does not a pattern make!!!------I read everything I could find about the lake all last week and everything I read said to find the hydrilla off points in 20-25 feet. All the reports also said there were catching lots of fish mainly with a drop shot and bigger fish up to 8 lbs with a jig. I could not find one blade of hydrilla anywhere and nothing would touch a drop-shot. I did find lots of Widgeon Grass, Naiad, and what think was Southern Pond-Weed. I noticed there was no chasing activity anywhere. Very few minnows, shad, bill gill etc... up shallow and very few bait balls on my HB. Of course these reports all came from guides who do not want to tell how bad the fishing really is to save their businesses.

So, if anyone of you with experience at Amistad would like to share, PLEASE DO!!!! LOL

See less See more
#3 ·
Matt I was on Falcon 3 weeks ago and caught fish all day Saturday and Sunday, although most were small fish, I did manage 2-4 pounders and lost 5-6 there were from 5-8 lbs. A friend is a guide on Falcon and had 30+ lbs for his clients best 5 on Saturday.

#4 ·
I'm not sure if you tried a-rigs or not, but I'm being told to they are catching them on a-rigs in 20-30ft of water around deep grassy points. They swear the hydrilla is in there, you just have to find it. I havent been in a long time so I'm of no help. Did you try the dam?

#6 ·
A cove with bluffs and lots of ledges was good to me during the heat of Summer on Amistad.

Gotta feel every ledge on the way up. Been a couple, three, years. I was throwing a big Senko (t-rigged). Color was a green, maybe WTMLN/RED, GRN/PMKN.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.