Decker April 21 2016
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Decker April 21 2016

Lake: Decker Lake
    Date: 21 APR 2016 8:00am - 11am, 4pm - 8pm
    Weather: in the morning - Terrible, stormy, raining, lightning, thunder, wind, cold (after we got too wet)
    Weather: in the afternoon - Sunny and warm and pleasant and light wind, with birds chirping in the sky.
    Water Conditions: chop chop white cappy in morning. Flat in afternoon. I forgot to note the temp, but the water seemed pretty warm.

Summary:
    Morning - got to the lake, about 6:30 am when all hell broke loose, and rain started pouring down and wind really picked up, and we decided to chill for a while to see if conditions got better (we got a small sinky boat), so we went to get breakfast at the local gas station, and then drove back and sat in the car while watching the rain. It eventually settled down enough that we launched the boat and scooted to the far side to have some cover from the wind. Rain and wind continued as we had a pretty good bite with largemouths, crappie, and a giant bluegill. Some of the largemouths were pretty good size, up to 4 lbs. The bite was still going pretty good but the weather worsened, and we started getting soaked and miserable so we packed it in and drove back to my house (i'm about 5 minutes away) and got warm clothes and got some food, then went back for the afternoon bite.
    Afternoon - sucked. Well, I did catch two more crappie. But the weather was nice and warm. We did see alot of bass busting the shad, but the damn things did not like anything we threw at them. We got out of the water about 8pm, and had to deal with a crowd of morons at the dock that were blocking the launch ramps doing I don't know what. But that kind of thing is normal around here.

Lures that worked, in the morning, were the more colorful rattletrap-like lures, orange/yellow/red etc. and a yellow fluke. The silver rattletraps that were always a good choice at Decker turned out being a dud today. We also tried various other lures such a a "line through" and different color flukes and some "tail spinners" with no luck.
    No pics - weather was too crappy in the morning for dealing with pics.

When bass is chasing shad and nothing will tempt them, verify the depth they are running at, and set a "drop shot rig" under a cork so that it'll actually float the worm about 1 foot above the fish, and the sinker will be 1 foot bellow the fish, fluorocarbon. Then use magic shad / morning dawn / some shade of light blue worm. The exact color is trial and error. Use a sliding cork with a stopper, so the cork touches the worm when casting and then sets to the desired depth. pay attention to the cork, bite can be subtle and difficult to detect... and reaction time is important too. Some times, if the cork barely keeps afloat, bite can be quite visible. Don't waste time, because of cork tension it'll release the bait fast, set the hock before it let go. Don't get frustrated, practice until you get the upper hand.

cserret, what kind of bait do you catch crappies on in Decker? I rarely ever catch a crappie, but I'm not fishing for them, so it's just an accident when I do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spiegelusa View Post
    When bass is chasing shad and nothing will tempt them, verify the depth they are running at, and set a "drop shot rig" under a cork so that it'll actually float the worm about 1 foot above the fish, and the sinker will be 1 foot bellow the fish, fluorocarbon. Then use magic shad / morning dawn / some shade of light blue worm. The exact color is trial and error. Use a sliding cork with a stopper, so the cork touches the worm when casting and then sets to the desired depth. pay attention to the cork, bite can be subtle and difficult to detect... and reaction time is important too. Some times, if the cork barely keeps afloat, bite can be quite visible. Don't waste time, because of cork tension it'll release the bait fast, set the hock before it let go. Don't get frustrated, practice until you get the upper hand.
    that does sound like it would take some patience. We were at lake Somerville today, and the fish finder was reporting the bass very thick and stacked top to bottom at many spots, but only the people with live minnows were catching fish. We tried various lures and worms and this and that, and only managed a few bass. But fishing with minnows isn't really of interest to me.

Crappie may not be the most exciting fish to catch, but they sure taste good fried in batter. I typically don't fish for crappie, but end up catching them on small rattle traps and smaller worms or flukes while casting around for large mouth. And I don't toss the crappie back, unless they're too short. There are some dedicated crappie fishermen who go to Decker and they use mostly minnows or some small colored plastics, and I've seen them doing very well sometimes.

Sponsored Links