Lake Austin 5-11-11 - 11.55 pounder - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Lake Austin 5-11-11 - 11.55 pounder

I don't have any hard feelings toward someone mounting a fish. I have a couple of skin mount double digits and a replica double digit. I have to say I think the skin mounts look better. Having said that, I will only do replicas for now on. I have enough skin mounts (also a couple from years back when an 8 pounder was a big fish) so I will leave the fish for the next lucky guy.

Administrator
    And Andy has no shame mounting somebody else's fish. Hell half of the 9 fish he has mounted have been caught by somebody else. It's all about the skin mounts he says, all about the skin mounts.
    ChitownLonghorn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TDub View Post
    And Andy has no shame mounting somebody else's fish. Hell half of the 9 fish he has mounted have been caught by somebody else. It's all about the skin mounts he says, all about the skin mounts.
    I thought he always says its all about the skin flute?
    International Ambassadour of the Royal Order of Lightning Wolves

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Advise I got from Lake Fork Taxidermy who has done a couple replica mounts for me. Use one piece of mono to stretch end to end, mouth closed, tail pinched. Another piece of mono around largest girth of fish. Take lots of pictures. You can measure mono when you get home or send it along with pics to their shop. I too say "to each his own", but I do like to see them swim away. Great catch
    Mac

Congrats on the fish.

Let the big ones swim away, guys, or there won't be very many of those reports coming up in the future...
    Toads for breakfast=> lunch and dinner!!!

RO
    See Terry, this is an example of where a conservation or ethics topic takes over a thread from behind as it were. If there were a conservation section to put this discussion in, then an admin could truncate and lock the report where the congrats end and the critique begins, then retitle the discussion (something like "replicas vs. skin mounts") and move the discussion about mounts/skin/replicas to the conservation section. These are interesting topics to discuss, but sometimes it is unfortunate and suboptimal for the original poster due to the highjacking.

Other topics that could go in a conservation/ethics section would be selective harvest, proper handling of fish, catch and release, basic etiquette-how much room to allow other fishers, the definition of potlicking, etc. etc.
    Last edited by RO; 05-12-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: inchoate thought

Quote Originally Posted by RO View Post
    See Terry, this is an example of where a conservation or ethics topic takes over a thread from behind as it were.
    I think the thread is on it's own natural course. As this is a fishing community, even thought the original poster didn't indicate wanting to stuff the lmb, others in the community knew about it. So, it becomes part of the thread

Wow, there have been some PigS being caught out of LA the past few days...it's insane the number of 5+ and 10+ lbers just reported on this site, we're lucky to have this fishery right here in our backyard. I'll be out there at the 360 bridge in the am, white Blue Wave 180 pulled by a white Tacoma...get after it!!!
    2006 Blue Wave 180 VBay 90 hp Yamaha 4Stroke

You know......David has thrown back many, many, many, fish ..... enough for all to enjoy......I respect his decision to keep and mount. She was fully spawned out and she would've gone twelve easy during her egg carrying days. David has one smallmouth, one striped bass, and one nine pounder caught with his Dad (has sentimental value). Lets not blow this out of proportion or put him in bad a light......he is not breaking any laws and he has put in his time and paid his dues.....congrats to my buddy again !!!!!

Absolutely right, Congrats on a beautiful fish David!!!

C.p.r.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links