• 3 Post By Tummy
  • 3 Post By Jeremy
  • 3 Post By Jeremy
  • 2 Post By Tummy
  • 2 Post By Jeremy

Thread: Pfoggy Pflugerville Pfishing and Town Lake Pfive Pounder

Pfoggy Pflugerville Pfishing and Town Lake Pfive Pounder

3/12/18:

I dropped my nephew off at school and headed to Pflugerville. I parked in the pull off located on Becker Farm Rd near the new neighborhood and worked my way south along the shores of the main lake point. It was very foggy, and the water was dead calm. The water was very clear. I fished the 3/8 oz green pumpkin Zman Original Chatterbait with the green pumpkin Razor Shadz trailer on the way south with no takers. Unproductive retrieves included both a steady retrieve and a yo yo style presentation.

On the way back to the car, I tried a green pumpkin 5" Swim Senko with a 4/0 hook and a 1/8 oz lead bullet weight Texas Rigged. Unproductive retrieves included a slow swim and a more traditional Texas Rig bottom hoping presentation.

On the water at 8:15 and off the water at 9:45 with 0 fish.

I picked the nephew up from school, and we headed back to Pflugerville. We arrived around 3:30, parked near pier 4, and started working the bank from the southern terminus of the dam towards the spillway. My nephew was throwing a Z-Man TRD CrawZ on a 1/15 oz Finesse BulletZ. I was throwing a 1/8 oz Texas Rigged green pumpkin Zoom Brush Hog.

My nephew caught his first bass! He cast the lure, retrieved it, detected the bite, set the hook, and reeled in a nice 2 pound bass all by himself!

After snagging and losing my Brush Hog, I switched to a 1/2 oz Strike King Red Eye Shad in Rayburn Red. I caught two small bass on the lipless. Both of my catches were on a slow steady retrieve. Just enough to make the lure vibrate. Fast steady retrieves and yo yo presentations proved unsuccessful.

I spoke to a fellow bank fisherman who claimed he caught six bass on a jerkbait on the southern half of the dam. I watched him catch his seventh.

We were off the water at sunset.

3/13/18:

I went to Walmart and Academy to find some Rapala Original Floaters. I bought some silver and gold in the 9 and 11 sizes.

While my wife was cooking dinner, I ran down to the community dock to cast around a bit. I wasn't expecting to catch anything. I was just enjoying the pleasant evening weather. I was about to head back for supper when it felt like I had a strike, but I didn't hook into anything. I repeated the cast, and I hooked a two pounder that jumped off approaching the pier. I repeated the cast two more times, and I hooked up again. This time, it was a good one. When it jumped, I realized I had a five pounder hooked up on 6# monofilament line. It was a fun fight with the bass pulling drag several times, but I ultimately prevailed!

My wife and nephew came to admire the bass before I released her back into the lake. My nephew and I casted around the dock until my wife rang the dinner bell. It was a pleasant evening indeed!IMG_6205.JPGIMG_6259.JPG

Nice Catch and great detail report! I need to get back out there again.

That sir is an excellent report.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

A+ report. Also, its always good to get a Fortniter away from the game (my son is all about Fortnite) for some real fun.

I first started bass fishing using those Rapala F-9's at golf course ponds. Good to know they still work!

I thought I'd go fishing this afternoon after work. It was slightly windy, so I thought about going to The Steps. The problem with The Steps is that I'd rather catch a hard-pulling largemouth.

So I went to Pfork. I saw a couple fishing from the north shore (what your brother coined Copperhead Cove), so I drifted away out of respect. I saw the man hook a good'un and reel it in. I cheered him and asked what he was using. I thought he said jerkbait, but i wasn't sure.

The wind blew me to the main lake point where I set anchor. First cast from anchor, I got a good'un on a chartreuse Red-eyed Shad. I fished for another couple of minutes and then headed in.
    IMG_20190314_172752732.jpg
    Tummy and rbdavis3591 like this.

Nice fish and comprehensive write up! Thanks for the report.

3/15/19:

My wife and I dropped the nephew off at school, then we stopped by Krispy Kreme for a coffee and a doughnut. They were selling green doughnuts for St. Patrick's Day. My wife ordered one, and we won free doughnuts for a year! We get one dozen free Krispy Kreme doughnuts every month for the next 12 months! Jealous?

Lake Pflugerville - 10:45 am to 1:00 pm.

I wanted to park at the spaces off of Becker Farm Rd, but they were full, so I settled for the northwest most spaces on E Pflugerville Pkwy and walked over to the main lake point. The wind was stiff out of the northeast, and I wanted it somewhat at my back.

I saw 4 other bank fisherman. The people I talked to had caught one or none. It looked like most people were slowly and deliberately fishing soft plastics.

I started working my way south on the point with a 1/2 oz Redeye Shad in Rayburn Red. No takers on the slow steady retrieve, the fast steady retrieve, or the yo yo retrieve. I stopped at the fishing pier closest to the tip of the point, and I switched to a 1/2 oz white and chartreuse Booyah spinnerbait with one colorado and one willow leaf blade. I hooked up on my first cast with a surprisingly strong 1 pounder. I worked my way back north on the point with no other strikes.

I wanted to switch to a more finesse approach, but there were already a couple of bank fishermen making slow and deliberate finesse presentations on the point, so I moved to the parking area near the boat ramp off Weiss Ln and walked the trail north to Copperhead Cove with the intention to work my way south back to the parking lot.

I was throwing a Gold Rapala Original Floater F11 on 6# mono. I immediately started getting strikes, but they somehow weren't hooking up. I sat on the bench on the small fishing pier, switched to a Silver Rapala Original Floater F9 and immediately hooked up on back to back casts. Two small but fun fish for my efforts.

It was past lunch time, and my belly was growling, so I went home.

Town Lake (private dock) - 6:20 pm to 7:00 pm:

I wanted to cast around a bit before dinner, so I headed down to the private dock, and went to work with the Silver F9. It felt like I had several strikes, but nothing hooked up, so I switch to a Z-Man TRD CrawZ in Mud Bug on a 1/15 oz Z-Man Finesse BulletZ Jignead. On my first cast, I hooked up and landed a small bass. On my next cast, I hooked up again and landed a 2 pounder. Satisfied with my work, I called it a night and went back inside for dinner.

3/16/19:

Town Lake (private dock) - 12:20 pm to 1:00 pm:

I took the TRD CrawZ down to the dock to cast around. On my first cast, I got a strike, but I didn't get the hook to penetrate. As I fished the lure in, I saw a small bass following the TRD CrawZ, but he turned around close to the dock. On the second cast, I caught a 1/2 pounder. No idea if it was the same fish. Over the next 30 minutes I got several strikes, but I didn't get the hook to penetrate on any. One fish broke me off under light pressure (should have checked my line). I retied and caught a three pounder. Not bad for 40 minutes in the middle of the day!

I'm really liking these TRD CrawZ. If you are looking for another finesse presentation, it might be worth grabbing some.20190315_125556.jpg20190315_090509.jpg20190316_131215.jpg
    Last edited by Tummy; 03-16-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Jeremy, Badavis86 and rbdavis3591 like this.

Golden Dozen Pass! LUCKY!!!!!!

Glad to hear you're still running the Z6.

I got the Pond Prowler out this morning at sunrise. I was followed out by some young yakkers wearing shorts. I was bundled up to go the distance.

I took an arsenal of tackle, but the only thing they'd hit was a slow-rolled swimbait. Best fish was 3.7 pound. Off at noon.

IMG_20190316_093110075.jpg
    Tummy, rbdavis3591 and Badavis86 like this.

I was the first one on Lake Pfork this morning. The first hour I lit 'em up with the billed crankbait. I got five to the boat, including the pictured 4-11.

I figured I'd anchor up on this spot and promptly lost a good'un with my first cast of the crankbait from anchor. I fan cast the crankbait but no more takers. I tossed out a drop-shot and it got hit hard. I reel-set and the fish pulled off, dang-it.

I drifted south and re-anchored. I tossed out TR Ol' Monster and missed another good strike, man-oh-man.

I went back to crankin' and got a couple more. I also caught fish on KVD 2.5 squarebill, 1/8oz belly weighted swimbait and weightless wacky senko.

I saw a yakker catch a four-pounder. Turns out he's a co-worker of mine. We fished together for a bit which was cool. Off at 1:00pm.
    IMG_20190317_075129827.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I was the first one on Lake Pfork this morning. The first hour I lit 'em up with the billed crankbait. I got five to the boat, including the pictured 4-11.

I figured I'd anchor up on this spot and promptly lost a good'un with my first cast of the crankbait from anchor. I fan cast the crankbait but no more takers. I tossed out a drop-shot and it got hit hard. I reel-set and the fish pulled off, dang-it.

I drifted south and re-anchored. I tossed out TR Ol' Monster and missed another good strike, man-oh-man.

I went back to crankin' and got a couple more. I also caught fish on KVD 2.5 squarebill, 1/8oz belly weighted swimbait and weightless wacky senko.

I saw a yakker catch a four-pounder. Turns out he's a co-worker of mine. We fished together for a bit which was cool. Off at 1:00pm.
    IMG_20190317_075129827.jpg
    I saw you as you were taking your boat out of the water. My wife and I were fishing our way back to the car along the dam. We were out there from 10:45 am to 1:15 pm with only one fish to show for our efforts. I caught a 1 pounder on a Texas Rigged green pumpkin Zoom Z Craw.

We tried the TRD CrawZ, Gold Rapala F11, clear silver black Zoom Fat Albert on a 1/4 oz jig head, and a watermelon red Big Bite Baits Cane Thumper with no success.
    rbdavis3591 and Jeremy like this.

I have not fished near the dam the last couple weeks. An angler named James was fishing near the spillway about the time you were there. He was taking out just ahead of me. He told me he had caught and released several 6 pound plus bass by using live minnows with split-shot.
    Tummy and rbdavis3591 like this.

Sponsored Links