Ready, Set, GO!! --- The Steps 2019
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ready, Set, GO!! --- The Steps 2019

Ready, Set, GO!! --- The Steps 2019

I hit up the steps on Monday morning just to check it out. The water is up and moving fast. The bank was super muddy. I stepped down about a foot in mud at one point and almost lost my shoe. Thank God I had a wading stick to help my up. There is no crossing this thing for at least a week or two as long as we dont get more rain. I saw a couple of groups and every one said they hadn't caught anything. Ran into a guy at the gas station down the road and he said there were guys catching whites at the dam. I didn't have time to go check. Good luck and be safe!
    rbdavis3591 and NjTexan like this.

Below the dam in the spillway? Or above on the main lake?

Went prospecting there today. Water looked great. Muddy on the banks. Couldn't cross at the normal crossing spot due to current, but I saw a couple people on the far side, not sure how they got there. Just tossed a white rooster tail for an hour or so. Didn't see the other guys across the way catch anything while I was there. Water looks great though, hope that's a sign the run will be good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

When do they normally make their run? I will be down the second weekend of March and was just wondering if it would still be going on by then.

Quote Originally Posted by MattBass12 View Post
    When do they normally make their run? I will be down the second weekend of March and was just wondering if it would still be going on by then.
    Prime time
    NjTexan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHooker View Post
    Prime time
    Great to hear! Maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

Made a scouting trip to the Steps today. Arrived around 12:30, wanted to give it a chance to warm up a little. The water is running fast at the bottom of the Steps and is very clear, I've never seen it this clear before. It was also pretty chilly. I could also see a water line along the bank that was still wet and about 3 to 4 feet higher than the water today. I tried to wade across and made it about halfway and decided the current was too strong. There were six cars on top when i arrived. I started walking downstream and ran into two guys who said they had been there about 2 hours and didn't get any bites. They said they were fishing by the big boulders a couple of hundred yards downstream from the Steps. Next I ran into a guy who had 8 whites on his stringer, he said they had stopped biting about an hour earlier, he had come from even further downstream. Finally I ran into a guy who had two whites and said the water was up a couple of feet from 4 days ago when he was last there. He said he heard a dam broke along highway 281 above Lake Georgetown and so they were passing water through. Again on the way back to the car I noticed a lot of water moving through right in front of the Steps. I didn't get a single bite in 2 hours. I have some pictures of the water at the Steps I will try and post from my phone if I can. First one is looking upstream town the Steps, second one is looking downstream towards the lake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PhishTales; 02-14-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    Jeremy and Chrismaxrocks like this.

the photos got reversed, top one is looking downstream toward the lake, bottom photo is looking back toward the Steps.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishTales View Post
    Made a scouting trip to the Steps today...
    Same here! You covered it pretty well. I arrived around 4pm. Foolishly, I dared the current and went across, which I shouldn't have tried since no one was around.

I talked to a man carrying sturdier tackle who said he caught whites earlier and was now fishing for blue cats a ways downriver. I'm two weeks early the man told me...

I threw a chartreuse and a pearl roadrunner and got no bites. I fished for an hour and a half. I saw some Robins and that was it. I really like fishing here even when I don't catch anything.

Fording the river back across to the car was just as dangerous as it was earlier. Not recommended at the cfs going right now.
    IMG_20190214_172029482_HDR.jpg

It's beautiful day to fishing here from 9am-11am, saw one guy hold over 10 whites on his shoulder and 2 guys have 2. No one catch include me.
    P_20190215_093917.jpg
    P_20190215_093927.jpg
    Last edited by Bengo; 02-15-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links