Ready, Set, GO!! --- The Steps 2019 - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ready, Set, GO!! --- The Steps 2019

Good news, anglers are catching some decent stringers. Yesterday a few friends sent me a text saying they were catching a lot of fish. It's weird because the bite was horrible over the weekend. They come and go so fast on this river, guess you have to be there when everything is right.

This river can be awesome or it can be a bust. Catch fish one day and just few the next. I fished it Tuesday with a friend and we did okay I guess. I caught 22 but only kept 9. My buddy caught a good number to but only kept 12. There were a lot of smaller fish on this day. But this is what I like the best about this place, catching these fish in the fast moving water. I will give up a fast bite over catching fish in the strong current. I like the way they get sideways and use the current to fight you. The line gets tight and it has singing noise it makes as they swim sideways in it. Your rod keeps a horseshoe bend in it the entire time you battle them to the shoreline and they pull some drag at the same time. This is the best part of fishing for me, it's the fight. And also use four pound test line at the river, so it's a good fish fight.
    NjTexan and stcow1 like this.

Hey bud, I’ll be taking my son out this weekend fishing from shore also. What river you referring to? Coming down from the lake Travis dam?

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Fished an hour this afternoon, didn't see any fish caught during that time, but saw some stringers hauled out. As usual, need to be there when the bite is on.

Granger Lake, it is the river we are fishing that feeds into this lake, it is the San Gabriel river. The place we fish for spawning whites is called the steps on a map when you pull up Granger Lake. pretty close to Taylor Tx.

Thanks for the report Fishytx.

I went there this afternoon and only caught one on a small plastic swim bait. I saw about 10 or 15 in an hour and a half including a pair that were actually spawning. I only saw 1 other fish get caught while I was there. One guy and his son that had been there all day had a pretty full stringer. He said they were hitting in morning. Another guy had about 10. I had 5 people walk across the river right in front of where I was fishing. Some people have no manners or respect for others. There was about 25 or 30 cars there but people were pretty spread out. If you go please respect others and don't walk through their fishing hole.
    Olintx

So a buddy and I fished from 7 to 10 pm last night and between the two of us we caught fifty something fish. Crappie, whites and a few carp believe it or not. Yes a few carp on our jigs, crazy I know, but it is real..
    I'm not trying to be a smart guy or nothing but just wanted to share some information. Guys wading through an area to get to other side does not mess up your fishing when it comes to spawning white bass. These fish are so on the move and you can watch them swim all over the place right now. Now if a wader wades across the river then turns around and starts fishing your hole, that's an issue. But these fish could care a less if you're in the water or not, they are up in the river to do one thing and that is to spawn. It does feel like these are rude people when they do this, but all in all it's really okay. I have been doing this kind of fishing for 46 years now, therefore I know what I am saying right now is true is the only reason why I'm posting this. Yes it can get under your skin to watch several guys wade through an area you are fishing, but it's only so they can get to the other side to fish holes upstream or downstream. As long as they don't stand in the hole you were casting into, then it's fine. I know all so well how hard it is to bite your tongue on this, but it really is okay folks. When I see guys looking at me like they are trying to figure out where I am casting so they can cross, I tell them, man it's okay, cross where every you would like, you are not going to mess up my fishing. Now I have made them feel at ease, they cross and everything goes smoothly. We all move on and everyone still catches fish, it's that simple..... When dealing with the public, some people will push you to your limit, but don't let these guys push your button, the fish will continue to be there.
    Jeremy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fishytx View Post
    So a buddy and I fished from 7 to 10 pm last night and between the two of us we caught fifty something fish. Crappie, whites and a few carp believe it or not. Yes a few carp on our jigs, crazy I know, but it is real..
    I'm not trying to be a smart guy or nothing but just wanted to share some information. Guys wading through an area to get to other side does not mess up your fishing when it comes to spawning white bass. These fish are so on the move and you can watch them swim all over the place right now. Now if a wader wades across the river then turns around and starts fishing your hole, that's an issue. But these fish could care a less if you're in the water or not, they are up in the river to do one thing and that is to spawn. It does feel like these are rude people when they do this, but all in all it's really okay. I have been doing this kind of fishing for 46 years now, therefore I know what I am saying right now is true is the only reason why I'm posting this. Yes it can get under your skin to watch several guys wade through an area you are fishing, but it's only so they can get to the other side to fish holes upstream or downstream. As long as they don't stand in the hole you were casting into, then it's fine. I know all so well how hard it is to bite your tongue on this, but it really is okay folks. When I see guys looking at me like they are trying to figure out where I am casting so they can cross, I tell them, man it's okay, cross where every you would like, you are not going to mess up my fishing. Now I have made them feel at ease, they cross and everything goes smoothly. We all move on and everyone still catches fish, it's that simple..... When dealing with the public, some people will push you to your limit, but don't let these guys push your button, the fish will continue to be there.
    Hey Fishytx. Tony here. Sounds like you guy's got into them good. Were you guy's fishing up from the big tree and the water is really shallow? I have been once but never did cross over and go up stream. I fished the area with the sandy beach and watched the fly guy's killing them.

Tony you know I can't give out that information over the fishing forum, but I will share this with you over the phone or through a text. LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links