C&R post frontal
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Badavis86
  • 1 Post By Jeremy

Thread: C&R post frontal

C&R post frontal

1-4-19
    C&R pond (Hutto)
    Cool (50's)
    Breezy

Stopped by just to wet a line for an hour or so. After the rain and fronts I didn't figure id have much luck, but I was starting to suffer from a bit of cabin fever. Figured id have to slow way down so I tossed around a ned rig for a while. No luck. The dock there was in shambles but I braved it and threw a lipless crank along the reed lines for a while as well. Still no luck. Toyed around with a jig as well. You guessed it....no luck.

I know its not exactly the most riveting fishing report being that its a skunking, but i figured id let y'all know my failures in order to avoid the same fortunes. Tight Lines.
    rbdavis3591 and Jeremy like this.

I'll contribute my two cents here.

Last time I was there a few weeks back, I saw that poachers or vandals had removed the "Catch & Release Only" sign. It used to be near the picnic tables, so that it was visible from the sidewalk that encircles the lake. Even though Hutto Lake is not referenced on the TPWD website, it meets the legal definition of a "community fishing lake" and is therefore regulated by TPWD. That means that the body of water at Hutto Lake Park is catch and release only, whether its posted on a sign or not.

This lake was decimated by the "bucket brigade" a few years back. I observed poachers cast-netting bluegill, rigging them on circle hooks and casting them out on 65 pound braid. I'd call them out if they were within earshot. A few ignorant dumb-asses had the temerity to offer the excuse that Hutto is regularly stocked.

Of course NOT! Why on earth would anyone (especially TPWD) regularly stock a "catch and release ONLY" lake.

The remaining bass have faired well, and are holding their own against the crappie. I've caught bass two of the last three trips out there. A couple months ago, I got into a wad of cutie-pies, so I believe the bass population is rebounding.

Hutto Lake Park is a beautiful park. Don't quit going because of an occasional skunk.
    Tummy likes this.

Sponsored Links